PDA

View Full Version : Party Design Contest!

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-07, 05:49 AM
I think its been long enough without a contest, don't you? For this one, the idea is to create a small party of adventurers suitable for use as NPCs or premade PCs in a generic D&D setting. Here are the rules:

1) There must be some sort of thematic link for the party, common for each member of the group. The theme is up to you, but it must be clearly stated at the start of your entry post.

2) The party should consist of no fewer than 4 characters and no more than 7. It should be a fully functional D&D party - that is, it should have at least a healer, an arcane caster (or equivalent), a front line fighter, and a skilled character. This requirement is flexible - just don't have a party of all evocation focussed wizards, for example.

3) Avoid using non-SRD material if at all possible, especially when it comes to classes and races. Try to stick to races with no, or a very small, Level Adjustment. Every character should have at least one or two levels in a base class. The party should also not be setting specific. All party members should be of the same level (adjusted for LA if neccessary), and the party should not be epic level (level 20 cap).

3a) If you want, feel free to use OGL material the Giant has posted here, such as his Tools of the Trade feats.

3b) Level Adjustment clarifications: Try to avoid having characters with an LA more than about 1/2 their final equivalent level, but if you have a cool concept, just make sure it has at least a couple class levels. More importantly, I am going to restrict potential monster PCs to only those creatures in the SRD with a listed Level Adjustment.

4) Each party member should be made using the following starting stat set, before racial or level adjustmets (arrange as desired): 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Use the standard PC Wealth by Level guidelines for gear as described in the DMG.

5) You should list the stats of each character in a standard NPC stat block. For example:

Katrine
True Neutral female human (Medium humanoid)
Fighter 6th
Hit Dice: 6d10+24 (61 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares; full plate armor); base 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (+2 Dex, +10 armor, +2 Armor Specialization, +2 shield), touch 12, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: Battleaxe +11 melee (1d8+6, 20/x3)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +11/+6 melee (1d8+6, 20/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Craft (armorsmithing) +5, Craft (weaponsmithing) +5, Hide -3, Intimidate +9, Move Silently -3, Ride +10, Spot +5, Survival +3. Armor Check Penalty -5.
Feats: Armor Focus (full plate armor), Armor Specialization (full plate armor), Cleave, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (battleaxe), Weapon Specialization (battleaxe)

Equipment: +2 full plate armor, masterwork heavy steel shield, +1 cold iron battleaxe, cloak of resistance +2, 240 gp.

6) In addition to the raw stats, each entry should include a short bit of flavor text introducing the party, and short sections for physical description, personality, and background of each party member.

7) Each new party should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that party and the discussion of it. Put the tag [Party] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.

6.) Post on this thread to let the mods know that you have entered a party. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference.

7.) The contest begins today, 7th May. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, 31st May; you may even add additional items to your set. On 1st June, we will lock all entry threads temporarily for the voting period (details of which will be announced at that time).

8.) Categories of voting and judgement will include the following:

* Best Overall Party
* Most Humorous Party
* Best Exploration of a Theme
* Best Flavor Text
* The Order of the Stick Award (Best Good Party)
* The Linear Guild Award (Best Evil Party)
* Gorby's Official Seal of Approval (Rich has said that the Website Staff Award is being phased out since the staff don't all have time to read all the entries, so the contest organizer will select one for his or her personal award)

Depending on the number of entries, I may add award categories for Best Low Level Party, Best High Level party, that sort of thing.

9.) I'll try and swing it so all winners receive a custom title for the months of June and April, so they can gloat.

I may throw in something extra myself, too. ;)

If you have any questions or need any clarifications, feel free to ask.

Grey Watcher
2005-05-07, 11:12 PM
Something to Prove (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11154843 61) is up, at least in skeletal form. I'm fleshing out the Cleric as I type.

pumpkinetics
2005-05-08, 04:11 AM
Question, when you say a very small level adjustment, what's the cutoff? 2? 3?

Peregrine
2005-05-08, 04:25 AM
Right, added the initial 'connecting theme' flavour text to mine, now posting here to enter 'The Grey Men' (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11155023 98) officially.

Edit: Withdrawn due to last-minute apathy. ;) Throwing all my hopes on Heroes of the Stage (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11164782 87).

Question: are we allowed to enter more than one party, as in the past? (If so, do we edit our entry post here for conciseness, or make a new one to be sure of getting listed?)

ChubsMcGee
2005-05-08, 04:55 AM
The Flying Squirrels are in, with much work still needed.

White Blade
2005-05-08, 05:22 AM
Wait, aren't we supposed to wait until we have completed the entry?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-08, 05:33 AM
Question, when you say a very small level adjustment, what's the cutoff? 2? 3?
It really depends on the party level. As a rule of thumb, I'd say the Level Adjutsment should not account for more than about 1/2 of the character's equivalent level (round down). For example, a 2nd level character shouldn't have an LA of more than +1, and an 9th level character shouldn't have an LA of more than +4.

The rationale is really to prevent parties from being made up of creatures with no class levels - this takes out a good chunk of the design process and makes it a group of monsters rather than a true party.

This isn't really a hard and fast rule so much as a guideline to encourage you to do more design work than simply copying over monster stats and giving it a name and a bit of backstory. The contest is supposed to test both your ability to do "crunchy" bits and "fluff."

And White Blade is correct, please wait until it is complete to post your entry to this thread. I won't penalize or remove those already posted here, as I didn't make this clear earlier, but from here on out please refrain. This is really only to make it easier for me to identify elligible entries when it comes time to vote, which is why I don't consider it a big deal right now.

Pax
2005-05-08, 07:14 AM
3) Avoid using non-SRD material if at all possible, especially when it comes to classes and races. [...]

If you have any questions or need any clarifications, feel free to ask.
How stringent is #3? Most of the books I own, while WOTC published, are most definitely not includedin the SRD. I've already got a theme in mind, and a name ... but it definitely isn't at all possible without going beyond the SRD. In fact, the race I'd be using (yes, just one, though with some subrace goodness thrown in) isn't ever going to come anywhere NEAR the SRD.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-08, 08:08 AM
The stricture on sources is to make the entries useful to as many people as possible, and to avoid violating the OGL. If you really have to go with something not in the SRD, go ahead, but be aware that it will limit the useability of the entry. Also, violations of the OGL aren't allowed.

Pax
2005-05-08, 09:57 AM
Okay. I'm aware it's a disadvantage contest-wise, but then, Eberron is pretty popular anyway. So, it seems the Artificial Heroes will have their day in the not-so-artifical sun, after all! ^_^

Beelzebub1111
2005-05-08, 01:14 PM
1/4 of "The Misfit Villians" is done http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11155001 13;start=0#0

Omniplex
2005-05-09, 12:50 AM
I have a start on my idea for the order of the radient claw. It more than just stretches the "try to stick to races with a low level adjustment" ruling, but other that that it should be alright. Statistics and more background to come.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11156138 97

Killashandra
2005-05-09, 09:02 AM
I put up To Save a Princess.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11156428 61;start=0#2

Wasn't sure what to do with the spell lists, so I left them in for the moment.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-09, 09:36 AM
I know everyone's just getting started, but I did want to clarify a bit about flavor text. I meant there to be some sort of introduction to the party, beyond simply describing the group in general terms. Two of the previous contest - Screen Name PrC and Festival - are pretty good examples of stuff that can work. This doesn't have to be particularly long at all, if you don't want.

Flavor text for voting does include background and personality information, but those intro pieces can help get people into an entry before you get right down into stats and backgrounds.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-09, 10:38 PM
Okay, I've noticed this in a couple places, so I'll post it here rather than chase down all the entry threads.

Please put your entire entry in the first post of the thread.

If it doesn't fit for some reason or something, go ahead and do multiple posts, but make a note of why. If you have more than one post now, you should be able to remove the extras yourself, but if not, send me a PM when you've got it all in one post and I'll get rid of the excess :)

Everyman
2005-05-10, 08:55 PM
Right, right...so mine's up. ;D

Just to clarify: It's okay that I put up a thread, but leave it incomplete for now, correct? Also, how much flavor text are we looking for? A paragraph per character? I've already fleshed out about a page's worth each for half my party (including stats).

Later!

Cryshade
2005-05-12, 02:08 AM
In the judging stage of the competition will the partys submitted be checked to see if they are indeed legitimate?
If so, how rigorous is the checking and what penalties (if any apply).

Also, I have a problem because I was designing a charachter using the PHB 3.5 and DMG 3.5, it was worded so that I could do something. But when browsing the SRD it had a different wording making it seem that I could not. My second question is which resource do I follow to be in keeping with the rules of the game. On the other hand could I use the rules in the PHB 3.5 and DMG 3.5 and state the rule as it occurs in the book under my party entry?

pumpkinetics
2005-05-12, 04:09 AM
Two things:

Please wait until it is complete to post your entry to this thread. I won't penalize or remove those already posted here, as I didn't make this clear earlier, but from here on out please refrain.

2. My party specifically has very low wealth. I'm assuming that's okay, but just clarifying.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-12, 04:50 AM
That's fine, Pumpkinetics; I just don't want to see parties that are way overpowered in the gear department.

And, yes, to repeat, I would like you to hold off on posting links here until your party is finished. Again, I'm not removing any incomplete ones that have been posted so far, but don't do it anymore. Any unfinished links hereafter will be dq'd for the staff award. (Note: by unfinished I mean that you haven't met the basic qualification requirements - if you have to go back and tweak stats and edit information later, that's fine, but you should have an entry that meets all the requirements before you post a link here).

If I have to make a third statement about this, any unfinished links after that one will be completely dq'd from the contest :P So don't do it, k? ;)

[hr]
Cryshade: I'm not going to go over each entry with a finetooth comb to make sure they fit the game rules exactly, though any that grossly violate them will be dq'd. I'm going to try and look over each entry prior to the deadline and point out any big goofs on that count and give everyone a chance to correct them. Minor mistakes can be overlooked (if you're off by one skill point or have a Will save thats one point too low, I'm not gonna kick you out of the contest ;)) Any entries that don't meet the basic requirements for the contest, however, won't be eligible for any awards.

I encourage all of you to go over other entries as well to make suggestions and point out errors for the contestants - just be nice about it, and be willing to accept constructive criticism on your own entry. And feel free to simply offer praise where feel it is due :)

Fair warning: I have a zero tolerance policy for bashing other people's entries. If your post is simply telling someone how bad their entry is or anything of that sort, your entry will be dq'd and you will recieve an official warning. It's hard to post your work out in public where everyone can see it, so I want everyone to know they and their work are not going to be ridiculed. Just keep in mind how you feel about your work when you post, and you should be fine :)

terranproby42
2005-05-12, 11:25 AM
Is the stat block before or after racial mods?

Vik
2005-05-12, 11:45 AM
Obviously before, exactly as the Elite array.

Edit : in fact, you used "stat block", and that's confusing. What I said, was that the 16,14,...,8 array was before any racial modifier. But in the stat block, you put the effective stats, with all modifiers.

The Glyphstone
2005-05-12, 12:45 PM
Question: Are custom-made magic items allowed? I ask because my item-dominated Wizard has a high Will save, giving him a 50% chance of beating the item's Ego. To solve this, I've had the item force him to craft a magic vest that gives -10 on will saves = total control. Without this, it'll be a problem to keep him under control, so I hope that's allowed.

Errrrr.. Gorbash? A ruling?

Pax
2005-05-12, 06:25 PM
Glyph, your idea is really really cool (frankly I'm jealous). Just felt I had to say that.

Anyway; I'd say, just handwave away the DC for the save; assume the wizard was unlucky enough to roll a "natural 1" on the save vs Dominate.

terranproby42
2005-05-12, 09:28 PM
SHould Wealth by Level be on EL or Class levels?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-13, 12:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that character wealth is according to equivalent level... but if anyone knows the official rules for this and I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :)

Bloodred
2005-05-13, 02:13 AM
When is the cut off date for the contest?? I've come up with a brilliant ideal, and need some time to work on it. So im seeing if I have enough time. . .

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-13, 02:28 AM
The contest ends at 12:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) June 1st, 2005 ;) You can work on your entry right up until then. At that point, all threads containing entries will be locked, and the voting will start shortly thereafter (and will probably run for 3-4 days).

Since I can't actually lock all the threads exactly at 12:01, there is a bit of an honor system - don't edit after that time, even if I haven't gotten to locking your thread yet. Edits after 12:01 EDT June 1st will cause disqualification.

(In case you're not sure what 12:01 Eastern Daylight is for you, it's Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) -4:00, so it'll be 4:01 AM GMT June 1st. You should be able to take it from there :))

Bloodred
2005-05-13, 02:34 AM
Hmm, I dont know if thats enough time. Hahahaha, just playing, sweet, time to write. . .
Tomarow morning, goodnight!!

Edit: Im just curious, but if you win more then one contest. Do you get two award mentions under you user-name?? This is for future refrence. ;D

Pax
2005-05-13, 09:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that character wealth is according to equivalent level... but if anyone knows the official rules for this and I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :)
You're in luck - the official rule is, indeed, that ECl is what counts for wealth-by-level.

The way it works is this: if the GM says "everyone make a 4th level character", what she is really saying is, "everyone make characters with 6,000XP and 5,400gp". It doesn't matter if those 4 levels are all class levels, a mix of class levels and level adjustment, if some of them are racial hit dice, or WHAT. ^_^

Bloodred
2005-05-13, 04:42 PM
Could someone please explain how to make url's work?? You know, how you put a link with a name, so intead of pasteing the link all you need to do is click on the title.
Can someone please tell me the appropreate wealth for a level 9 charicter?? The SRD dosent have wealth-by-level guideline charts, atleast none that I can find. . .
These will help greatly with my entry, thank you.

The Glyphstone
2005-05-13, 04:44 PM
Here's how to make a URL. Let's say you want to link to the SRD site.
Click on the Insert Hyperlink button above the reply window (globe+page icon). This will give you text that looks like (url)(/url), with brackets instead of parentheses.
Now, copy and paste the address of the site you're copying to, in this case, the D20 SRD, into the first bracket after the url and an = sign, like so: between the two sets of brackets, like so: (url=http://www.d20srd.org/)(/url)
Add the text you want the link to say, i.e. D20 SRD, in between the two sets of brackets.

The finished product looks like this:D20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/)

Quote me if you can't figure it out, you'll se.

Bloodred
2005-05-13, 05:20 PM
Okay, I get how to make the links now. Thanks Glyp, that was so simple, but I couldent figure it out for the longest time.
Now all I need is the wealth for a level 9. . .

The Glyphstone
2005-05-13, 05:39 PM
not sure if I can help ya there. if its not inthe SRD, that means its copyrighted.

The Demented One
2005-05-13, 05:40 PM
Wealth levels aren't in the SRD. You can find them in the DMG, somewhere around page 150.

Bloodred
2005-05-13, 05:41 PM
I dont have a DMG, and if its copy-writen, all you have to do is PM it to me. :)

Edit: How should we do health?? If there is no specific way, im doing Max Hp. . .

Peregrine
2005-05-13, 10:10 PM
The hit points normally given in an NPC stat block are the average for the given hit dice:
1) Take the maximum value of the first hit die.
2) Take the average result for each of the remaining hit dice. This is half the maximum value + 0.5
3) Add any bonuses or penalties.

So for instance, a level 5 fighter with Con 12 would have hit dice of 5d10+5. Maximum from the first die (10) plus 5.5 for the remaining dice (4*5.5 = 22) plus the Con bonus (5) gives 37hp.

If you have a multiclass character, you should work out which class they took first in order to maximise the right hit die for their first level. List those hit dice first. So a Cleric 2/Fighter 1 with Con 10 would be 2d8+1d10 (18hp), whereas a Fighter 1/Cleric 2 with Con 10 would be 1d10+2d8 (19hp).

Edit: Clarified step 2 a bit.

Bloodred
2005-05-14, 12:11 AM
The hit points normally given in an NPC stat block are the average for the given hit dice:
1) Take the maximum value of the first hit die.
2) Take the average result for the remaining hit dice. This is half the maximum value + 0.5
3) Add any bonuses or penalties.

So for instance, a level 5 fighter with Con 12 would have hit dice of 5d10+5. Maximum from the first die (10) plus 5.5 for the remaining dice (4*5.5 = 22) plus the Con bonus (5) gives 37hp.

If you have a multiclass character, you should work out which class they took first in order to maximise the right hit die for their first level. List those hit dice first. So a Cleric 2/Fighter 1 with Con 10 would be 2d8+1d10 (18hp), whereas a Fighter 1/Cleric 2 with Con 10 would be 1d10+2d8 (19hp).
Ahh-haa!! Thank you, cool. . .
My group is already 5-pages long(Microsoft Word), and its still pretty skelital. . .

Sacrath
2005-05-16, 03:21 PM
Just announcing my party, Xeratheax's Children, a group of adventures with a slightly twisted patron. Alignment has failed me again in this case, I'm going to go ahead and call them good, because thier intentions are good. I may do a PDF of Xeratheax's lair and an encounter for you guys to use them in-game.

pumpkinetics
2005-05-17, 04:38 AM
Ack

I've just noticed that you had updated the rules system (Slow me), which means one of my ideas is out.

(The idea is a ghoul character; although he's listed in the monster manual, the stats for playing him are in the book Libris Mortis, and I'm not sure it counts then. Can you clarify?)

Pax
2005-05-17, 03:32 PM
Sadly, I must withdraw my unfinished entry, the all-Warforged party Artificial Heroes; I've just launched a new Arena, and that entails a sufficient amount of work that I simply won't have time for giving this contest a proper amount of time and attention.

It's a darn shame, too, 'cause Ihad SUCH great ideas for it ... especially now that I've got Races of Eberron. And, I was going to (mildly) parody the OotS too:

In Roy's place, "Rubin" - a standard Warforged with a Female personality (I mixed the genders around, su eme) Psychic Warrior (5) / elocator (10); I figured "I have vast mental powers" could stand in for "I have an MBA", heh;
in Belkar's place, "Beral" - a male-personality Warforged Scout (the lil' guys) Ranger (10)/ Warforged Juggernaut (5); that seemed a good match for the OotS's resident psychopath;
Taking Durkon's spot in the roster, "Dimoend" - a Warforged Scout who's a straight-up Artificer(15) - whcihis a good class for keeping fellow Warforged in one piece;
Elan is replaced by the no-less-redundant "Emer" - a male Warforged Spirit Shaman(15). somehow, I justf ind he idea of a Warforged who talks to the spirits of Nature to be, well ... about as ridiculous as Elan's performance as a Bard. ^_^
Haley's spot is taken by the obviously-named "Helite", a male Warforged Spellthief(15). Why steal mere gold, when you can steal their very magic ...?
and lastly, Vaarsuvius is replaced by "Vanadi", a genderless (of course) Warforged Warlock(15)

Yes, all of the names are based on minerals (Ruby, Beryl Diamond, Emerald, and Halite), except Vanadi - that one's a metal, Vanadium. I just couldn't thinkof a nonmetallic mineral that started with "V", sorry.

And yes, I was even planning a set of six new custom avatars, onefor each of them - Warforged parodies of the OotS character,s of course.

Ah well. C'est la vie; I wish the remaining fieldof contestants the best!

CaptainSam
2005-05-17, 08:26 PM
Phew! All this creating a party is making my brain ache. Now I know why I only play and not DM!

alec
2005-05-18, 06:09 AM
My entrants are finnished, The Racial Misfits (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11155216 82), a group of "heros" who are almost compleatly unsuited for their classes, which explains their low level.

Zherog
2005-05-18, 11:22 AM
Here's a question, Gorby. What about the Leadership feat? Do we just include the cohort as another party member? Do we note that a character has the feat and briefly mention the cohort, but don't provide any actual stats? Something else entirely?

The Glyphstone
2005-05-18, 11:24 AM
An addendum to that question, r.e. familiars and animal companions?

Zherog
2005-05-18, 01:13 PM
They're class features, and I would assume you just include them in stat blocks. Leadership is a tiny bit different, though.

Peregrine
2005-05-18, 04:58 PM
Hey Gorbash... sorry if I missed it, but I don't think you've said, and I wanted to be absolutely sure: are we allowed more than one entry?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-19, 12:42 AM
Woah, I wander off for a day or two and I get a bunch of questions. Let's handle em.

1) For LA races, stick to the SRD. For one, some of the sources for playing stuff like undead comes from sources I'm pretty sure aren't OGL, and again the entries should be as useful for everyone as possible.

2) Leadership... just do up the cohort stats as per the standard rules. Please don't do up the followers except to mention them in general. There is a limit as to how much I want to read. ;)

3) Second entries - If you want to do that much work, feel free ;) But please don't do more than two per person.

Also, here's a question: I have an idea for this contest myself, and I was wondering how much outcry there would be if I were to post an entry. Naturally I wouldn't select myself for my own award ;) and I don't vote for my own entries anyways. Okay with you guys if I put one up?

White Blade
2005-05-19, 12:55 AM
I was going to post a complicated post but then I just thought I'd say: Gorbash, we would feel deprived if you did not. Seriously you always have some of the best entries.

Peregrine
2005-05-19, 01:25 AM
Absolutely. Go for it, Chief. :) Look forward to seeing what you come up with. (Not looking forward to actually having to compete with it, though! ;))

Chase
2005-05-19, 04:58 AM
A question. Can I work together with someone else on this? The problem is that he is a member here as well, so I don't really want to start anything if its against the rules.

Zherog
2005-05-19, 10:27 AM
Gorbash - perhaps for "fairness" purposes, you could post your entry without entering yourself in the contest? I don't think you'd fiddle with the voting numbers - in fact, I'm fairly certain most people who have been around here a while "know" you well enough to think the same way. I'm also certain you wouldn't hold it against anybody if they voted for an entry other than yours.

However, there are still the issues of appearances. As the designer and runner of the contest, you have to remain impartial. The last thing you need is to dish out some modly discipline a month from now only to have somebody retort, "You're only disciplining me because I didn't vote for your entry!"

Just something to keep in mind, Gorby. While the grand majority of the people on this board are cool, there's always a few http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/Censored.gif in every crowd. ;D

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of statting out followers. If I enter, it'll be the party I DM - though converted to use only OGL material. For one, the guy with Leadership doesn't have any followers yet; for two, even if he did, I'm lazy. ;)

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-19, 02:20 PM
A question. Can I work together with someone else on this? The problem is that he is a member here as well, so I don't really want to start anything if its against the rules.
Depends on what you mean by working with someone. I've bounced ideas off other posters before, and had other posters bounce them off me. And in other contests, people helped each other out, if you check the older threads.

However, if you mean having someone else do a portion of your entry, doing up stats from scratch for example, then, no, don't do that. Each entry should represent the work of one poster, though with possible editing suggestions and rule corrections from others. Sort of like with novels with one author - sure, several editors and other folks have probably looked the thing over before it was finalized, but its still ultimately the work of one person. Same with the entries.

Zherog: Yeah, that's part of my concern as well. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, so I think I'll run with that.

Zherog
2005-05-19, 02:58 PM
Zherog: Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

It does? :o

Er, I mean, of course it does.

;D

Chase
2005-05-19, 05:06 PM
Thanks Gorbash for clearing that up. That was how we were going to do it, so thats good.

Esk1mo
2005-05-19, 08:11 PM
Maybe Gorbash could post his party early. That way everyone could get a taste of what the judge is sorta looking for.

Like an example party. There could be some downsides to Gorbash posting early, at the same time though a bunch of people could benefit from a look into the judge's ideal party layout

i dont know
maybe...

pumpkinetics
2005-05-20, 08:02 PM
The Rejected (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11166336 73;start=0#0) is up and complete. My first ever GITP Cointest entry! Wooo!

Esk1mo
2005-05-24, 01:59 PM
Stupid work and it consuming my life >:(

I've discovered that with all the work I'm doing right now I wont have enough time to complete my party for the contest.

I'm really bummed because I liked my idea. It was a group of adventurers who spend their days and nights partying at bars and such instead of grudging through dungeons. Each member has had their go at "adventuring" frankly weren't too keen on it so they spend their time crashing big ballroom socials and barhopping all night.
Also each member would have different talents to contribute to the partying like drinking games and and different performances.

I planned on laying out how they still made a living while partying all the time and how each group member got along with each other and the rest of the world.

Oh well it was fun to think about at least.

Good luck to everyone!! ;D

Glinelen
2005-05-27, 02:25 PM
The Scions (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11172155 51;start=0#0) are up , almost complete.

Edit: completely complete

Cryshade
2005-05-28, 02:28 AM
A post to say that The Steelclad Spleen-Skewers (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11158806 79) have been completed and also to enter them into the competion!

A very unorthodox and powerful party of half-orcs, all good fighters that shows that the best defense provides a good offense while still being a fully functioning D&D party.

McAdoom
2005-05-28, 03:13 PM
Deus Ex Mechanica (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11158360 99) is now up, I just need to flesh out the equipment and write backstory, real life permitting.

pumpkinetics
2005-05-29, 12:44 AM
So what is that? 8 parties eligible so far? 20 still with little to much work needed? 2 days to go?

Why do I feel so smug all of a sudden?

Cryshade
2005-05-29, 06:27 AM
Heh, 6 awards and some seals of approval for 8 entries, it would probably be harder not to get an award.

That is unless one entry can recieve multiple awards (and gets 3-4) or there is an influx of characters in the next few days.

Zherog
2005-05-29, 10:08 AM
Real life is kicking my ass lately. I'm hoping to get time to write up my entry today and tomorrow. if not, I'll delete the thread to make Gorby's job a little easier.

Safria
2005-05-29, 11:24 AM
Ok! It's finally done and just in time too cos i'm off on holiday.

The Sunlit Quintet (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11156669 19) is up. Complete with flavour text character description and stat blocks.
So this SHOULD be elligible I think :D

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-29, 06:02 PM
It is entirely possible for a party to recieve multiple awards, so don't start counting your chickens before they hatch ;) Also, I'm hoping to see a couple more entries get finished up with the deadline looming...

And I hope to have my "example entry" actually done tonight - other modding duties and RL have prevented me from getting to it until now.

The Glyphstone
2005-05-29, 07:27 PM
DONE!

My champion, award-winning entry is complete, titled A Mind of Their Own (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11155041 50), also known as The Dark Materials.

Everyman
2005-05-29, 11:20 PM
Are you referencing the "His Dark Materials" series when you named that? ;D

Anywho, congrats on a very nice entry. I still have to finish mine up. Ugh!

The Glyphstone
2005-05-30, 06:17 AM
Indeed. ;D I added that at the last moment, because the items would need something to call themselves.

Everyman
2005-05-30, 11:11 PM
Ah, an excellent choice for an allusion.

I'm afraid that my entry traded out some of the sheer creativity of yours in exchange for a tad more flavor and practicality. (I wouldn't even know how to make items...haven't done it before). Still, I'm a tad jealous of yours. Blast! ;D

Zherog
2005-05-31, 01:30 AM
The Laughing Hands of Olidammara (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11166065 60) is now officially a complete entry. Not all the PCs would fit in one post, so the first two posts on the thread comprise my "official" entry, with the third post providing a bit of info about the adventuring party this is based upon.

I hope everybody enjoys it. Now I'm going to bed - it's 1:30 in the morning, and I have to get up at 6:30.

Peregrine
2005-05-31, 04:43 AM
The Heroes of the Stage (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11164782 87) are complete and ready to go. Now, if I can find time to finish up my first entry before the deadline... it's (by design) a flavour-heavy entry, and the trouble is, I kind of left my notes behind the other day...

CaptainSam
2005-05-31, 03:19 PM
The Racial Harmonies (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11155966 50;start=0#2) are now up and ready to go. Thought I had a bit more time, but then realised that I'm in a different time zone! :-[

Everyman
2005-05-31, 11:50 PM
I'm going to have to drop out, as I haven't finished the requirements. Please remove me from the list o' contestants.

Everyone else...good luck, and I look forward to judging. ;D

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-31, 11:59 PM
Ok, all contest threads have been locked. Eligible entries will be linked in the Vote thread, as will voting instructions.