PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual 2: What were they smoking?

AslanCross
2008-12-19, 04:29 AM
I just picked this book up the other day. I'm aware that it isn't really good, but I found it on sale (60% off for a new copy) at my regular gaming store, so I decided to get it. I then found how weird its monsters are. I'm aware it's a 3.0 book, but even the 3.5 update WOTC released for it doesn't solve some problems.

Runners-up:
1. Julajimus. It's an 18-foot tall monkey with a Krusty the Klown hairstyle. Not to mention that it's evil and has a name that somehow sounds like a Rasta DJ's. It's just...confusing to me. (Also of note are the three other strange monkey monsters in the book: the Gambol, the Blood Ape and the Cloaked Ape.)

2. Linnorms. Okay, the Linnorms are cool, but somehow they seem...misaligned. I know the CR system is messed-up, but the Gray Linnorm has hit dice and melee attacks comparable to a CR 7 Juvenile Black Dragon, except for its claws, which are stronger than its bite. (Though its ability scores are as high as an adult dragon's.) Its breath only deals 6d8 damage. And it's CR 20.
Of course, it does cast spells as a 17th-level cleric. And it has 13 HD. What gives? I wish they'd made these guys CR 12-15 and advance them as dragons. It looks like it was written up by 3 different people. It's all confused.

3. Mudmaw. So it's a crocodile with tentacles. :smallconfused:

4. Clockwork Horrors. These are cool, but take a look at the Adamantine Horror, which is supposed to be the hive mind of the swarm. CR 9. At-will disintegrate.

5. Ormyrr. It's a monstrous humanoid. That is not humanoid at all. It has a caterpillar-like body, multiple arms, and an oversized head. Even the 3.5 update doesn't fix this.

Dishonorable Mention: Flesh Jelly. A gargantuan living pimple. Ick. Its friend the Bone Ooze is a bit less creepy.

The supreme winner, though, is the Rukarazyll. It looks like a Salvador Dali painting.

That said, MM2 does have some cool monsters.

1. Gem Dragons. Psionic dragons. 'Nuff said.
2. Nimblewright. The Ninja Golem. Gray Fox. (http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/569/images/ninja.jpg)
3. Famine Spirit. I find it really, really creepy. Vorpal bite FTW.
4. Giants: Ocean and Forest. It helps that they're illustrated by Wayne Reynolds.
5. The Death Knight Template. I really like the Death Knight. It's like the ultimate evolution of the Blackguard.

Bayar
2008-12-19, 04:45 AM
Jermlaine's are awesome druids.

Rei_Jin
2008-12-19, 04:45 AM
All of the monsters that you find to be... weird, shall we say, are based on one of several principles. They may find their origins in...

a) Folklore and Mythology from somewhere on this messed up planet of ours
b) An earlier edition of Dungeons and Dragons
c) Someone smoking crack

I admit that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at the same time, this is a fantasy game.

There are weird monsters in Monster of Faerun as well. And there were weirder things in the older editions, believe me.

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-19, 04:48 AM
That said, MM2 does have some cool monsters.

1. Gem Dragons. Psionic dragons. 'Nuff said.
2. Nimblewright. The Ninja Golem. Gray Fox. (http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/569/images/ninja.jpg)
3. Famine Spirit. I find it really, really creepy. Vorpal bite FTW.
4. Giants: Ocean and Forest. It helps that they're illustrated by Wayne Reynolds.
5. The Death Knight Template. I really like the Death Knight. It's like the ultimate evolution of the Blackguard.

Banshee and Deathbringer too. MM2 has awesome undeads.

About weird monters, Raggamoffins? Mudmaw drive me nuts, anyway.

AslanCross
2008-12-19, 04:48 AM
I think the Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing takes the cake from the earlier editions.

Oh, I forgot the Captured One Template. I can see it now. BUGBEAR POSSESSED BY THONG ON FACE!

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot about the Deathbringer. That's something I wanted to use so badly in my campaign, though I'm not going to get far enough to use it.

potatocubed
2008-12-19, 05:28 AM
1. Julajimus. It's an 18-foot tall monkey with a Krusty the Klown hairstyle. Not to mention that it's evil and has a name that somehow sounds like a Rasta DJ's.

A julajimus with dreads and bard levels should be your next BBEG. :smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2008-12-19, 06:17 AM
Is the Century Worm (*shudder*) in MM2 or the Fiend Folio? I can't tell those two big books of gas-huffing monster b0rkage apart sometimes. :smallredface:

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-19, 06:33 AM
Is the Century Worm (*shudder*) in MM2 or the Fiend Folio? I can't tell those two big books of gas-huffing monster b0rkage apart sometimes. :smallredface:

Fiend Folio.

Red_mage_dnd
2008-12-19, 08:16 AM
AH NIMBLEWRITES (huddles in the corner sucking his thumb) most broken moster ever....never leave the day room.

AslanCross
2008-12-19, 08:48 AM
AH NIMBLEWRITES (huddles in the corner sucking his thumb) most broken moster ever....never leave the day room.

The 3.5 update reduces the crit threat range to 15-20. It gains an extra 20 HP from being a construct, though.

Deme
2008-12-19, 09:07 AM
...Wizards of the coast is weird....Just...wierd. In terms of the wierd mythology-based stuff...How do they pick these things? There are probably better mythological monsters, after all. ((I did, however, squee when I found a book with Selkie stats. Wish I could remember which it was.))

evil_d4_swarm
2008-12-19, 09:43 AM
The Selkie is, I believe, in the Fiend Folio.

KeresM
2008-12-19, 10:10 AM
Strange monsters have always been a hallmark of DnD

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-19, 10:17 AM
I'm just looking through it now, and I really like Grimalkins and Swamplight Lynxes due to how cute thay are (some of the other creatures are surreal, though).

afroakuma
2008-12-19, 10:22 AM
I liked their bringing in classic monsters (Phoenix, gem dragons et. al) but some of the new ones were just stupid, and some of their legacies (that jermlaine drawing was just stunned)...

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-19, 10:33 AM
Julajimus.

its a trap monster. the name is from an older edition and some old folklore. but its essentially a trap monster for people who won't fall for polymorphed demons acting as damsels.

"aww what a cute little kitten..."

Starscream
2008-12-19, 12:45 PM
Oh, I forgot the Captured One Template. I can see it now. BUGBEAR POSSESSED BY THONG ON FACE!

If that doesn't sound like the best idea ever to you, something is wrong.

Didn't Darkwing Duck have an episode about people being mind controlled by alien hats?

ChaosDefender24
2008-12-19, 01:27 PM
The Adamantine Horror also packs MDJ...

But it is just a test to see whether or not the party bought Tanglefoot Bags. Throw one at it and the fight is over.

Mechanically the monsters that never made sense to me are the Weirds, which are CR 12 elementals that cast as 18th-level sorcerers. Not much else to say here, enjoy your gated klurichir PC's

A lot of the CR's are really weird though. That Fiendwurm is NOT CR 27, nor is that famine spirit CR 19.
The monsters in general are really freaky, although the ones you named really take the cake. I really wish that they still wrote books like this (No 4e bash, this stopped early on in 3.5 as far as I can tell)

AslanCross
2008-12-19, 05:41 PM
its a trap monster. the name is from an older edition and some old folklore. but its essentially a trap monster for people who won't fall for polymorphed demons acting as damsels.

"aww what a cute little kitten..."

After reading the entry again, it did make a bit more sense--at least in terms of story/combat role. It's an archetypical evil monster hiding in innocent-looking form. That still doesn't explain the bizarre hairdo.

If that doesn't sound like the best idea ever to you, something is wrong.

Didn't Darkwing Duck have an episode about people being mind controlled by alien hats?

There was an anime based on the premise of alien hats. (Alien Nine)

The Adamantine Horror also packs MDJ...

But it is just a test to see whether or not the party bought Tanglefoot Bags. Throw one at it and the fight is over.

Mechanically the monsters that never made sense to me are the Weirds, which are CR 12 elementals that cast as 18th-level sorcerers. Not much else to say here, enjoy your gated klurichir PC's

A lot of the CR's are really weird though. That Fiendwurm is NOT CR 27, nor is that famine spirit CR 19.
The monsters in general are really freaky, although the ones you named really take the cake. I really wish that they still wrote books like this (No 4e bash, this stopped early on in 3.5 as far as I can tell)

Yeah, at-will disjunction. :smalleek: I think it's the DM's way of saying "Okay guys, don't worry, you get new swag after you kill this guy."

The_Snark
2008-12-19, 06:11 PM
Don't forget the adamantine horror's third at-will spell-like ability- Implosion! Make a DC 24 Fortitude save, or die instantly. No, Death Ward doesn't help.

And it's not a fragile monster either, with good AC, respectable melee ability (with am emphasis on sundering, of all the annoying tactics to use against PCs), and decent saves.

The thing is supposed to be unique, so clearly it's intended to be a tough boss-type monster for a level 9 party, but not only is that an iffy use of the CR system, they gave it two of the most problematic abilities in the game (save-or-die and permanent item destruction).

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-12-19, 07:03 PM
Ahh, but the MM2 has such awesomeness as the Animal companion rules for a Fleshraker DINOSAUR. I love the MM2.

Starsinger
2008-12-19, 07:28 PM
Ahh, but the MM2 has such awesomeness as the Animal companion rules for a Fleshraker DINOSAUR. I love the MM2.

Is that the source of that utterly ridiculous monster?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 07:30 PM
Is that the source of that utterly ridiculous monster?

It's got a bunch of weird dinosaurs in it, the fleshraker among them.

Zeta Kai
2008-12-19, 07:33 PM
I think that the book has gotten a bad wrap, one that I speculate would not have been if it had been reprinted for 3.5 updates. Yes, it does feature some of dumber monsters in 3E (the creator of the Raggamoffin should have been beaten to death by a panty-monster). But it also rounds out the first MM with many essential creatures. It also features some truly fabulous templates (including my favority, the Tauric). Sure it could have been better, but it's not nearly as bad a some proclaim.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 07:39 PM
I think that the book has gotten a bad wrap, one that I speculate would not have been if it had been reprinted for 3.5 updates. Yes, it does feature some of dumber monsters in 3E (the creator of the Raggamoffin should have been beaten to death by a panty-monster). But it also rounds out the first MM with many essential creatures. It also features some truly fabulous templates (including my favority, the Tauric). Sure it could have been better, but it's not nearly as bad a some proclaim.

Raggamoffyns are classic! And Shrapnyl are hilarious. "The suit of armor attacks."

Zeta Kai
2008-12-19, 07:47 PM
Raggamoffyns are classic! And Shrapnyl are hilarious. "The suit of armor attacks."

There are better ways to present an animate suit of armor than as a variant of a laundrimental. :smallannoyed:

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 07:49 PM
There are better ways to present an animate suit of armor than as a variant of a laundrimental. :smallannoyed:

No, I mean they're classic in that they appeared in previous editions of D&D.

"laundrimental" lol

Innis Cabal
2008-12-19, 07:54 PM
If this book shattered your mind then don't take a look at III.

The Drowned. All I need to say.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-19, 07:58 PM
Ever since I read about Raggamoffyn's they've bothered me, especially with the whole "Captured One" thing. Why the hell would a raggamoffyn need to posess people? From what I've read of them it looks like they're not very smart. They can't formulate schemes and such, and they're not much of a threat. It's like they posess you and then it's thinking, "Uh, what now?" What would a Raggamoffyn use a captured one for? It makes no sense!

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 08:02 PM
Ever since I read about Raggamoffyn's they've bothered me, especially with the whole "Captured One" thing. Why the hell would a raggamoffyn need to posess people? From what I've read of them it looks like they're not very smart. They can't formulate schemes and such, and they're not much of a threat. It's like they posess you and then it's thinking, "Uh, what now?" What would a Raggamoffyn use a captured one for? It makes no sense!

It's called a "parasite".

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-19, 08:15 PM
What does it drink? I don't recall anything about them being vampiric, or even doing anything remotely harmful to the host. They just sort of sit there on it.

Starsinger
2008-12-19, 08:21 PM
What does it drink? I don't recall anything about them being vampiric, or even doing anything remotely harmful to the host. They just sort of sit there on it.

It eats the humiliation of walking around with a Troglodyte's thong on your face...

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 08:40 PM
It eats the humiliation of walking around with a Troglodyte's thong on your face...

Actually, they eat brainwaves, if it didn't change from 2e.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-19, 08:45 PM

Parasites don't always take their food from the host. It is merely a harmful relationship between two creatures where one gains something(A home, food, mobility, or even aid in reproduction) and the other suffers from it.

I would say they are infact the classic definition of one.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-12-19, 08:55 PM
Runners-up:
1. Julajimus. It's an 18-foot tall monkey with a Krusty the Klown hairstyle. Not to mention that it's evil and has a name that somehow sounds like a Rasta DJ's. It's just...confusing to me. (Also of note are the three other strange monkey monsters in the book: the Gambol, the Blood Ape and the Cloaked Ape.)

How can ya not like the Julajimus? Aside from the stupid haircut I find them to be great.

3. Mudmaw. So it's a crocodile with tentacles. :smallconfused:

You wouldn't say that if you've fought one. Those tentacles make it a lot meaner.

[QUOTE=AslanCross;5503449]1. Gem Dragons. Psionic dragons. 'Nuff said.

I've never gotten these myself. Why do people like Gem Dragons merely because they are psionic? That actually lessens some of their appeal to me actually. Of all the things I could think dragons could be, I never once thought 'psionic'. It just seems wrong.

afroakuma
2008-12-19, 09:17 PM
I bloody hate the Julajimus. Ragamoffyns are indeed classic; (as is laundrimental, now)

Their CRs were faaaar off. Nimblewrights deal criticals virtually half the time. Hellfire Wyrms (invisible crushing doom) are on an even footing with mountain giants at CR 26. I still don't know what the spell weaver was about, and I didn't need abeils.

AslanCross
2008-12-19, 09:20 PM

The fleshraker is from Monster Manual 3. I really liked that one and want to buy a copy. I actually liked the Drowned and used it in an encounter alongside a Black Dragon. The PCs had a really hard time with that one. :smallamused:

Innis Cabal
2008-12-19, 09:28 PM
Spell Weavers are classic as well. And awsome

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-20, 01:00 PM
After reading the entry again, it did make a bit more sense--at least in terms of story/combat role. It's an archetypical evil monster hiding in innocent-looking form. That still doesn't explain the bizarre hairdo.

same nefarious reason why carrot-top has his hair the way he does: to stun and confuse his victims befoe he slaughters them?

AslanCross
2008-12-20, 04:55 PM
same nefarious reason why carrot-top has his hair the way he does: to stun and confuse his victims befoe he slaughters them?

Errata: Julajimus
Add the following to its Combat entry:
Big Hair (Ex): Any creature that sees the Julajimus's hairstyle in its true form must make a DC 19 Will Save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. Creatures that are blind are immune to this effect. Any creature that successfully saves against this effect is immune to it for 24 hours.

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-20, 09:50 PM
Big Hair (Ex): Any creature that sees the Julajimus's hairstyle in its true form must make a DC 19 Will Save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. Creatures that are blind are immune to this effect. Any creature that successfully saves against this effect is immune to it for 24 hours.

Add a racial bonus to save DC and we are done.

aarondirebear
2009-01-01, 10:11 AM
It bothers me that people are bothered by and have a fetish for questioning weird creatures in a fantasy setting...

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-01, 10:16 AM
It bothers me that people are bothered by and have a fetish for questioning weird creatures in a fantasy setting...

So... this guy passes muster, for you? No questions? No wondering what the hell this thing is supposed to do, or what the designers were smoking, or anything?
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToMagic_Gallery/96075.jpg

aarondirebear
2009-01-01, 10:18 AM

Because they can.
If you can't just accept it, you shouldn't be playing RPGs.
Stop questioning ****.

aarondirebear
2009-01-01, 10:20 AM
So... this guy passes muster, for you? No questions? No wondering what the hell this thing is supposed to do, or what the designers were smoking, or anything?

Nope. No questions whatsoever.
The only one i accept is "sauce plz k thx".
I'm sick of people calling monsters in a fantasy setting who are bizzare looking "stupid".

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-01-01, 11:56 AM
The fleshraker is from Monster Manual 3. I really liked that one and want to buy a copy. I actually liked the Drowned and used it in an encounter alongside a Black Dragon. The PCs had a really hard time with that one. :smallamused:

Yeah, you're right, I missed that one. /facepalm

I'm sick of people calling monsters in a fantasy setting who are bizzare looking "stupid".

Yeah, that thing is a Roving Mauler from the Tome of Magic.

Funnier still is the Bear made of Teeth from the same book, P88/89.

Noneoyabizzness
2009-01-01, 01:14 PM

and now the monster is complete!

zeruslord
2009-01-01, 01:40 PM
The lion thing is Judeo-Christian in origin, but that's all I know.

AslanCross
2009-01-01, 06:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer Here is an explanation. :P

I wasn't saying they're stupid, I'm saying that the monster as a whole doesn't seem to make sense. What are they supposed to accomplish? Why are their stats so oddly skewed? (The CR 20 Linnorm with low physical stats but insane caster level, for example, or the CR 9 Adamantine Horror with at-will disintegrate and disjunction).

Shades of Gray
2009-01-01, 06:37 PM
Big Hair (Ex): Any creature that sees the Julajimus's hairstyle in its true form must make a DC 19 Will Save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. Creatures that are blind are not immune to this effect, they can sense the presence of the big hair. Any creature that successfully saves against this effect is immune to it for 24 hours. Julajimus themselves are affected by this, by seeing others of their kind or by looking in a mirror or another reflective surface.

Fixed it for you.

averagejoe
2009-01-01, 06:52 PM
Strange monsters have always been a hallmark of DnD

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

Am I the only one who thinks the monkey bees are kind of awesome?

horseboy
2009-01-01, 07:09 PM
Well, there were those couple of episodes where Bugs and Fudd had random hats dropped on them and it changed the Demeanor, to make fun of "Clothes Make the Man."

amanamana
2009-01-01, 07:31 PM
All of the monsters that you find to be... weird, shall we say, are based on one of several principles. They may find their origins in...

a) Folklore and Mythology from somewhere on this messed up planet of ours
b) An earlier edition of Dungeons and Dragons
c) Someone smoking crack

I admit that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at the same time, this is a fantasy game.

There are weird monsters in Monster of Faerun as well. And there were weirder things in the older editions, believe me.

Important to notice that 1 and 3 are one and the same!:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2009-01-01, 09:23 PM
Reality itself sometimes seems to be smoking something.
Case in point, there is a poisonous bird. No it doesn't bite you, it's feathers are poisonous. And there is a reptile that not technically poisonous, its bite will often kill because it can transmit a nasty infection. And it's a pretty nasty bite in itself. There are fish that walk on land and hibernate in dried mud, and iguanas that swim in the ocean. There is an itty bitty bacteria that produces a toxin so strong, that a pound of it would probably kill every human on the planet. There is a mammal that lives like ants and wasps, with a queen and hierarchy and everything. And no I am not talking about humans. Though they also lack a lot of hair. Reality is wacked in itself, the game makers have to be smoking something strong to get as weird as it can.

hamishspence
2009-01-02, 08:27 AM
The komodo dragon's infectious bite was later shown to be supplemented with poison as well- so its both poison and dangerous bacteria.

And the naked mole-rat is pretty interesting- unlike ants, the castes can change though- worker to queen, for example.

DigoDragon
2009-01-02, 10:44 AM

The image is so gosh-darn funny that I'm using it for a Shadowrun game. Malevolent spirits hidden in possessed undergarments sold by some top name-brand fashion designer. :smallbiggrin:

The two automatons (one with the drills and the other with the hammer) come to mind as poorly designed when the GM rolls bad enough that they don't act for the first 5 rounds of combat. :smalltongue:

Oh, speaking of possessed clothes, my brother showed me this odd video game where you're an alien hat and you have to possess various monkeys with different jobs/abilities to get through the stage to each goal. Rather odd, but I admit it had an interesting game mechanic.

AslanCross
2009-01-02, 06:19 PM
The image is so gosh-darn funny that I'm using it for a Shadowrun game. Malevolent spirits hidden in possessed undergarments sold by some top name-brand fashion designer. :smallbiggrin:

The two automatons (one with the drills and the other with the hammer) come to mind as poorly designed when the GM rolls bad enough that they don't act for the first 5 rounds of combat. :smalltongue:

Oh, speaking of possessed clothes, my brother showed me this odd video game where you're an alien hat and you have to possess various monkeys with different jobs/abilities to get through the stage to each goal. Rather odd, but I admit it had an interesting game mechanic.

That really is what the artwork suggests, though.

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_128.jpg

If that's not a codpiece, I don't know what it is.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-02, 07:03 PM
http://wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_128.jpg

Beware the dreaded Laundrimental, for it will possess you, turning you into just another panty-monster.

Oslecamo
2009-01-02, 07:21 PM
Well, in WOTC's defense, it really isn't D&Dif you don't find monsters that seem to come out of some madman's nightmares.

After, all wizards sometimes get stoned/drunk before going to create their new pet to do their bidings.

RPGuru1331
2009-01-02, 08:14 PM

Um.
They were smoking mythology
That was actually the Buer. It was the ancients who were toking up, not DnD designers. This time.