PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Another PrC search

Proven_Paradox
2008-12-19, 06:05 AM
So, I'm helping a good friend create a gestalt character; one side will be warlock, the other will by nymph, flavored to be evil and more fear than beauty based (but mechanically unchanged). This character is very chaotic and also fairly evil.

It looks like for the warlock side, I don't have much choice other than to go pure warlock; classes that advance spellcasting also advance a warlock's eldritch blast and number of invocations known--but not the maximum level of invocation that can be chosen. I want this character to eventually have access to Dark invocations, so at least until level 16, one side of the gestalt is set as warlock. (Is this right? If I'm wrong here though, my question is answered; she'll be going wild mage on the warlock side.)

What I'm more looking at is the other side--she's not very nature based at all fluff-wise, but nymph gives her druid spellcasting, and I'd like to advance that. Neither she nor I want to have to deal with an animal companion or wild shape, and shapeshifter is thematically inappropriate and completely worthless to this character mechanically. Because of that, I'm wanting to find a PrC which advances druid spellcasting that she might be able to enter. Right now, I'm looking at the Nightcloak from the CDivine web enhancement right now, but I don't like those prerequisites.

So, are there some other options?

-ECL 13 gestalt
-Pretty much any source is available (I am the DM for this game, and I have access to almost every book out there) including homebrew if I like it.
-No dual-progression classes
-Flavor-wise, this character is deceptive, very chaotic, fairly evil, high charisma, good wisdom. Fear-based and darkness based effects are preferred but not required thematically.
-Full caster progression is preferred but not required. I don't want anything that loses more than one caster level though.
-Her strength score is 8 and she is utterly uninterested in melee.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-19, 06:43 AM
It looks like for the warlock side, I don't have much choice other than to go pure warlock; classes that advance spellcasting also advance a warlock's eldritch blast and number of invocations known--but not the maximum level of invocation that can be chosen.
I believe this to be incorrect. The warlock indication progression states that, at level X, you can pick an invocation of type Y. In other words, the "number of invocations known" includes which level those invocations can be of.

That said, there aren't that many wizard prestige classes that actually work for a warlock. Most DMs around here houserule that you can use an invocation duplicating an Xth-level spell to fulfill the requirement of "casting spells of Xth level".

Proven_Paradox
2008-12-19, 06:52 AM
I believe this to be incorrect. The warlock indication progression states that, at level X, you can pick an invocation of type Y. In other words, the "number of invocations known" includes which level those invocations can be of.Actually, it looks to me like those are included in warlock class features rather than the invocation known column--note that at various levels, warlocks gain a "new invocation (<whatever level invocation>)" class feature. I think that falls under then "you don't gain class features" bit of advancing with PrCs.

And those classes that require a caster level (rather than being able to cast a spell of a certain level) work with warlocks. Wild Mage is one of those; if you're right about the invocation level thing, that's the class I'm going with, no questions asked.