PDA

View Full Version : Melee buffet help

Darth Stabber
2008-12-19, 11:40 AM
Okay guys Played a character like this a while back but thought that the optimization geniuses here would like the challenge and i would like to see how interesting the end result would be. The build request is for a melee type Human with chaotic good alignment. The the main rule of this build is you may only take 1 level of any class. For BAB and Saves use the frational addition system that i believe is in UA (For example wiz1/sorc1 would still get 1 bab since each get half a bab). End resuld my have atleast an 18 bab @ lvl 20. Prestige classing is allowed and encouraged. Bookes available (core, complete X, races of X, XPH, TOM, TOB, HOH, HOB, PHBII, UA (Varient paladin only), MOI.
Stat generation
10 in each
18 point buy, no stat starts above 16, points (15 and 16 cost 2 per).

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 11:52 AM
From a previous asking of this question:

Str 14
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 8

L1: Rogue 1
Feat: Dodge
Human Feat: Mobility
Skills: Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Forgery 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Perform (Dance) 4, Sense Motive 4, Tumble 4, Use Magic Device 4
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding

L2: Ninja 1
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Disable Device +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1
Abilities: Ki Power, Sudden Strike +1d6

L3: Scout 1
Feat: Quick Draw
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Disable Device +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Perform (Dance) +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1
Abilities: Skirmish +1d6

L4: Spellthief 1
Ability: Dex +1
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Tumble +1, Use Magic Device +1
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6, Steal Spell (0 and 1st)

L5: Sneak Attack Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) 1
Skills: Swim 5
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6

L6: Ranger 1
Feat: Skill Focus (Bluff)
Skills: Hide +2, Jump +2, Move Silently +2
Abilities: Track, Wild Empathy, Favored Enemy (Humans)

L7: Assassin 1
Skills: Bluff +1, Disable Device +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Tumble +1, Use Magic Device +1
Abilities: Sneak Attack +1d6, Death Attack, Poison Use, Spells

L8: Duelist 1
Skills: Diplomacy +1, Bluff +1, Jump +1, Listen +2, Tumble +1
Abilities: Canny Defense

L9: Spymaster 1
Feat: Combat Reflexes
Skills: Appraise +8, Decipher Script +3
Abilities: Cover Identity, Undetectable Alignment

L10: Shadowdancer 1
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Disable Device +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Tumble +1, Use Magic Device +1
Abilities: Hide In Plain Sight

L11: Exemplar 1
Skills: Profession (Sailor) +8, Use Rope +3
Abilities: Skill Artistry (Move Silently), Skill Mastery (Bluff, Hide, Move Silently, Disable Device)

L12: Dread Pirate 1
Abiliity: Dex +1
Feat: Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
Skills: Gather Information +9
Abilities: Seamanship, Two-Weapon Fighting

L13: Swashbuckler 1
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Escape Artist +3, Jump +1, Tumble +1
Abilities: Weapon Finesse

L14: Beguiler 1
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Escape Artist +5
Abilities: Armored Mage, Spells

L15: Duskblade 1
Feat: Combat Expertise
Skills: Decipher Script +5
Abilities: Arcane Attunement, Armored Mage (Light), Spells

L16: Dervish 1
Skills: Balance +2, Jump +2, Swim +1, Tumble +2
Abilities: AC Bonus, Dervish Dance 1/day, Movement Mastery, Slashing Blades

L17: Dragon Disciple 1
Skills: Spellcraft +5
Abilities: Natural Armor Increase +1, Bonus Spell

L18: Paladin of Tyrrany 1
Feat: Spring Attack
Skills: Concentration +5
Abilities: Aura of Evil, Detect Good, Smite Good 1/day

L19: Barbarian 1
Skills: Intimidate +7
Abilities: Fast Movement, Rage 1/day

L20: Monk 1
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +1, Hide +1, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1
Abilities: Stunning Fist, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike

There. Try that.

Darth Stabber
2008-12-19, 12:00 PM
Doesn't really follow the rules of the build. tons of stuff that is not from the list of accepted material, but an amusing build nontheless.

Burley
2008-12-19, 01:57 PM
Wait.... Fax, your first five levels are all classes whose 1st level doesn't grant BAB. That means that they won't get a BAB until 6th level... I think this build ends with only 2 iterative attacks, maybe just eeking into a third...

EDIT: Erk, I mean, first 4 levels don't... and no BAB 'til 5th...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-19, 01:59 PM
Wait.... Fax, your first five levels are all classes whose 1st level doesn't grant BAB. That means that they won't get a BAB until 6th level... I think this build ends with only 2 iterative attacks, maybe just eeking into a third...
For BAB and Saves use the frational addition system that i believe is in UA:smallwink: Comprehension helps.

Burley
2008-12-19, 02:03 PM
:smallwink: Comprehension helps.

I don't understand.

:smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2008-12-19, 02:09 PM

EDIT: Erk, I mean, first 4 levels don't... and no BAB 'til 5th...

With fractional BAB/Saves, it ekes into a 16/11/6/1 scheme on L20. :smalltongue:

jcsw
2008-12-19, 02:11 PM
I don't understand.

:smalltongue:

On the off chance you aren't joking, there are three types of BAB, 1/2, 3/4, and 1. 1/2 is for things like wizards, 3/4 for rogues and 1 for paladins and fighters.
If you look at the BAB tables, the BAB of the wizard is actually equal to level x 0.5, rounded down, likewise the rogue.
Fractional BAB means you instead take (levels in half BAB classes)x0.5+(levels in three quarter BAB classes)x0.75+(levels in full BAB classes) and round down.
(There's an exception: the War Hulk, which has no BAB, but ye-ah)

Similar for saves, but a "bad save" is 1/3 per level while a "good save" is 2/3 per level.

The Mormegil
2008-12-19, 02:15 PM
Similar for saves, but a "bad save" is 1/3 per level while a "good save" is 2/3 per level.

Good save is 1/2 level +2 actually...

Darth Stabber
2008-12-19, 02:41 PM
That list still doesn't meet the requirements. Alignment is CG and must be so the whole time, and the only UA stuff I really wanted was paladin of freedom. I just don't like the UA variant classes (exception Paladins, That needed to be done).

Last time It went like this:

lvl Class bab
1 ranger +1
2 duskblade +1
3 soulborn +1
4 barbarian +1
5 fighter +1
6 war blade +1
7 crusader +1
8 totemist +3/4
9 dragonshaman +3/4
10 cleric +3/4
11 psychic warrior +3/4
12 soulknife +3/4
13 rogue +3/4
14 swordsage +3/4
15 dread commando +1
16 horizon walker +1
17 bear warrior +1
18 warshaper +3/4

and that was as far as i got before his untimely death. Jeez o'pete did i have combat option. None of them particularly good, but options none the less. I could use arcane, divine, psionics, incarnum, TOB manuvers and other random specials, it was great. Luckily i was a number5 in the party (druid, rogue, barbarian, wujen) so what I chose to do was not particularly important. And the encouter difficulties were not adjusted for the extra party members and noone was any where near optimized, in fact aside from the barbarian's 2lvl dip into fighter, i was the only one who multiclassed. Kinda lucky I died though because I had no idea what to take for the last 2 lvls. Any thoughts on that?

imperialspectre
2008-12-19, 04:22 PM
A one-level dip in CW samurai isn't actually all that bad. It probably wouldn't hurt you much, considering you're not getting any class features. It's certainly better than soulknife, considering that soulknife doesn't even give you a whole point of BAB.

Was there an alignment requirement in the build you just posted?

Alternatively, Fist of the Forest would be good to get Con to AC if you could swing it. Hexblade progresses BAB as well. Spellthief is always kinda nice (also way better than soulknife, because it gets you sneak attack).

I would swap CW samurai in for soulknife (that way you have 8 classes with 3/4 BAB progression still, and don't lose any fractions) and add in fist of the forest and hexblade.

Darth Stabber
2008-12-19, 04:48 PM
Yeah, CG is the posted alignment. Lawful alignment doesn't really fit the concept of a gut that just keeps changing his mind, starts to learn 1 thing gives up after the first bit and then starts doin' something else. And I have a preference to play good charcters, and having both components means that I can take soulborn and one of the pally variants. Also Fun Barb1 + bearwarrior1 + warshaper = immune to crits! + you can get so angry that you turn into a bear, w00t.
So Samurai is right out.
If only I could take a level in 3.0 ranger.