PDA

View Full Version : The large amounts of available character classes.

Copper8642
2008-12-19, 06:03 PM
When playing a PbP and a player uses a class not available on the internet or otherwise easily available to someone without any books.... actually, I don't even know if I have a specific question here.

Just, not even in games, but in all sorts of threads, I see stuff about tieflings (I am aware it's a race, but it's still something I don't know) and warlocks and swordsages and ninjas and... where are all of these from?

Epinephrine
2008-12-19, 06:05 PM
There are some nice summary documents at
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php

insecure
2008-12-19, 06:05 PM
Almost all of them are from the various supplements Wizards has published.

Moriato
2008-12-19, 06:08 PM
You're... going to have to be more specific. Just about every new book (dozens and dozens of them) has at least a couple new classes, races, prestige classes or all of the above in them. Then there's ones from online sources, dragon magazine, and third party material, so if you're asking where all the different races and class come from, then the answer is, well... everywhere.

Copper8642
2008-12-19, 06:22 PM
Well, yes, I did word that wrong. I'm aware they come from everywhere. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I guess I just felt like posting what I was thinking about.

I guess to actually ask a question: What do you do when a player uses a class or race you don't have access to?

Chineselegolas
2008-12-19, 06:25 PM
Well first you ask for the source and for a copy of it so you can veto it if need be. And then ask them for any such over powered plans they might have spring boarding off it. (Many people are willing to admit future goals)

If they don't provide it, the answer is no.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-19, 06:28 PM
Are you the DM? If so, then you need to know what your players are using. You can either get them to send you a copy of the info or limit your games to the Core Books or whatever list of things you do have access to.

If not, then let the DM worry about it. It doesn't really matter what you do or do not know in this case.

Starsinger
2008-12-19, 06:29 PM
Tieflings are in the monster manual.

Copper8642
2008-12-19, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention the "as a player" part. I figured that a good DM would be able to work with them without me knowing their mechanics. Thanks to the pseudo-answers to my sort-of-question.

Devils_Advocate
2008-12-19, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Official lists of classes, races, and other things, with sources noted (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists)?

Kiero
2008-12-19, 08:22 PM
I guess to actually ask a question: What do you do when a player uses a class or race you don't have access to?

Say no. Or better yet, limit what's allowed right from the start, which is helpful to restrict to what you actually have.

Proven_Paradox
2008-12-19, 08:26 PM
I guess to actually ask a question: What do you do when a player uses a class or race you don't have access to?If I'm DMing? I ask the player to provide me with the information somehow and evaluate it then. I'm not afraid to veto something I'm not comfortable with. If they can't get me the information, the answer is no.

If I'm playing? I ask about it out of curiosity but don't worry too much about it unless it becomes disruptive to play.

sonofzeal
2008-12-19, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention the "as a player" part. I figured that a good DM would be able to work with them without me knowing their mechanics. Thanks to the pseudo-answers to my sort-of-question.
Player has four options:

1) Lend me a book that has their thing in it
2) BUY me a book that has their thing in it
3) Send me a PDF that has their thing in it (even if it's just an excerpt)
4) Play something else.

Animefunkmaster
2008-12-19, 08:31 PM
What do you do when a player uses a class or race you don't have access to?

As a player: Knowledge/int checks. If something is fairly common in the world, you are 100% allowed for a summary of information. Even if it isn't familiar, you could always... you know... ask the player how he did that and what did it do.

Otherwise just ask the player where he got his cool race/class from or google it.

As a DM: Everything comes by you, right? So ask them to show you the source. It might seem tedious, but making sure odd things don't spring up (like a psion not realizing he has a cap for power points he can spend to augment his powers) really saves in game time.