PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating a Naruto based character for 4.0

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-19, 06:33 PM
I am in a Campaign that uses Naruto based characters. I wanted to make a character with Kiminaro's bloodline, but one of the guys in charge said it would be overpowered.

I am trying to find a way to make it non-overpowered. Any tips on this?

I have a few idea, but I want to hear something from people who know more about D&D.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-19, 07:01 PM
For a Naruto campaign, I would strongly recommend running Exalted rather than D&D. It does wuxia epic way better, without breaking down into overpoweredness.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-19, 07:20 PM
You could do it so it wasn't overpowered by using "bone" in all of your aggressive powers. Play for a long sword like normal but use a bone sword you pull out of your arm when you attack. Take the quick draw feat and say that it rips out of your skin as you move to attack.

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-19, 07:24 PM
3.5 doesn't really seem like the system for it. You might just try freeform or some other system that makes you build the world around your characters, not the other way around.

Collin152
2008-12-19, 07:27 PM
3.5 doesn't really seem like the system for it.

Need help creating a Naruto based character for 4.0

So that's not an issue, is it?

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-19, 07:30 PM
You could do it so it wasn't overpowered by using "bone" in all of your aggressive powers. Play for a long sword like normal but use a bone sword you pull out of your arm when you attack. Take the quick draw feat and say that it rips out of your skin as you move to attack.

Ok, how about the bone armor?

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-19, 07:35 PM
Buy armor, same deal.

The visual element of your powers/items is for you and your DM to discuss.

Whatever armor your character wears just say that it's your bones errupting out of your skin. Use the stats for whatever armor he happens to be wearing and make sure to count any armor check penalties.

To make it more effective pick magic armor and weapons with necrotic or bone related tricks. At high levels make it part of your character. For example, Hydra Armor lets you regenerate after taking a critical hit. Perfect for Kimimaro.

When you use it just say it's something about you and not something about the armor (which we're pretending is your bones anyhow).

Starsinger
2008-12-19, 07:38 PM
To make it more effective pick magic armor and weapons with necrotic or bone related tricks. At high levels make it part of your character. For example, Hydra Armor lets you regenerate after taking a critical hit. Perfect for Kimimaro.

When you use it just say it's something about you and not something about the armor (which we're pretending is your bones anyhow).

Or if you have access to Adventurer's Vault, take Summoned armor, which lets you summon it on and off as you please. Creating the visual of "I need armor" and making it out of your own bones.

I apologize if that's not what you mean, I'm not familiar with Naruto.

Edit: After a quick google search, that indeed seems to be what you're after. You may wish to consider taking a reach weapon, and when you attack someone two squares away mention that you're extending your bones.. or whatever, I'm still a bit hazy on how this Kimimaro guy works.

ZeroNumerous
2008-12-19, 07:45 PM
Naruto d20 (http://www.narutod20.com/). Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to use this?

Starsinger
2008-12-19, 07:48 PM
I have a few idea, but I want to hear something from people who know more about D&D.

I'd like to hear your ideas.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-19, 07:52 PM

Well, it's rather clashing. If you put Naruto in 4E, you'd get things like "yes, you can do the Art of the Doppelganger, but only once per day, and you get one doppel which doesn't do anything except opportunity attacks."

Jutsu in Naruto has all kinds of instant-death or perma-stun effects that, by design, don't and should not exist in 4E.

RTGoodman
2008-12-20, 12:28 AM
I don't know a THING about Naruto, but there's some folks working on a 4E Naruto conversion HERE (http://4enarutoproject.freeforumhost.com/index.php) (as mentioned in THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5442580) thread). Check it out - if they don't have what you need already, they can probably at least help you figure something out.

That said, re-fluffing your weapons, armor, and powers is the easiest way to go.