PDA

View Full Version : Falling out of shape

Tengu_temp
2008-12-20, 08:55 AM
Are there any RPGs that have mechanics for your skills declining over time when you do not practice them? I'm looking for official rules.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-20, 09:03 AM
Elder Scrolls 3? Though I think that's only when you're actually stuck in prison. And is a computer game rather than a system.

bosssmiley
2008-12-20, 09:16 AM
Apart from the aging and negative level rules I'm not familiar with anything in D&D what indicates rustiness at something.

Dragon #354 had something semi-related in their article on Elder PCs (you know, ageless immortals, timelost types, etc.). It suggested that rusty high level characters have their abilities reduced by just flat out dropping them to lower levels. It was nice and simple, which is always a plus.

IMO "Pendragon" did character aging quite well. You might want to track down a pdf version to look over the excellent Winter Season section of the game. It lets you learn new skills, train up stats, lose stats to aging and illness, have kids, negotiate weddings, set up inheritances, run your manor, spend your lewts, etc.

You know, I'm not surprised Pendragon knights looked forward to going on quests, participating in tourneys and getting into deadly battles in the summer months: they were desperate to get away from the real work. :smallwink:

You know, I'm thinking of changing my sig to read "Thread Over".