PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign Setting

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-20, 03:06 PM
Hello Boys, and Girls, and those of you who haven't decided.
I am making a Campaign setting for me and my brothers, and whoever wants it over the break to not die of boredom. This is just an online backup, noteboard, and place for any suggestions

Technology level is equivalent to that of the height of the Roman Empire.
World has Differing Climate, Like earth.

• Humans dominate the world. meh
• Gods are real and active. no, read notes below
• Magic is real and can be used by anyone who learns it. Limit Magic, Alchemy!!!
• Opposite alignments fight each other.no way
• Arcane and divine magic are inherently separate.
• The wilderness is separate enough from the cities to justify 3 wilderness-oriented classes.
• There are hundreds of intelligent species of creatures, but 99% of them are considered "monsters".
• Arcane magic is impersonal and requires no "deal" with a supernatural being.
• Beings from other planes of existence try to influence the mortal world, usually on behalf of gods/alignments.not so much
• Magic items are assumed to be available, and game balance proceeds from that assumption. Limit Availability
• Magic is consequence-free. Magic is Illegal

Polytheistic Religion
Like Christian Church???

Divine Magic:
Divine Magic requires belief, not a gift from the gods.
Arcane and alchemy:
a science, sat upon by the church, "Arcane Revolution" could be campaign plot line

Barbarian- Barbarians more like Braveheart, less like Rambo
Bard- doesnt fit
Cleric- Physically Weaker, Power more Subtle increasing certain rolls, more auspicious conditions, and guidance
Druid- more like barbarians, but weaker, and based in magic
Fighter- Soldier, more team based
Monk- In this world, monk means bald guy who holds lead crosses, and swings incense, so no
Paladin- Centurion, lots of leadership bonuses, keep the mount, and replace “good” with mostly law. Get rid of magic
Ranger- Hunters, lose the magic
Rogue- more bureaucratic
Wizard- Underground, cult like, Faction
Alchemist- Flashiest magic, transmutation, no spells, instead, they prepare concoctions, act as potions, or as other things

Humans
Dwarves- Noble Savages / artisans
Gnomes- NOT INVENTORS Live underground merchant class

In the central empire
Bureaucratic families, Machiavellian cloak and dagger stuff
Competing empire
Barbarian Factions
Wizard Underground, some pretend to be clerics.

Starts in gladiatorial arena, players have been captured in war, or expansion, or in civil unrest/political prisoners, and they are teamed together to fight animals, and other men.

Villains:
1. A barbarian, also taken prisoner, who tries to make a deal and turn on the party, may be in a different team, and driven by revenge
2. Human Rights Activist, tries to imprison and persecute the party, avoids killing (Macgyver?)
3. Deceptive Politician: working to get power, money and influence through deception, lies, assassinations
4. Emperor of other nation: bleh not much to say here

Main Empire is the Red on the map

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee63/CommodoreFluffy/World.png

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-20, 09:28 PM
hello? can somebody post? PEACH? APRICOT? MANGO?

Lappy9000
2008-12-21, 01:01 AM
hello? can somebody post? PEACH? APRICOT? MANGO?

Twenty four hours is the generally accepted time before posting a Bump. Especially if it's just notes at the moment; fewer people tend to post until ideas are fleshed out more.

QUESTIONS!

So low-magic medieval-ish setting?
If humans don't dominate the world, who does?

Do gnomes or dwarves rule, or are most of the races sort of equal?

How different are monks from clerics?
Alchemy, eh? Sounds like a nice campaign-lasting plot hook for the philosopher's stone!
Does a completely corrupt church largely dominate society?
Plaaaaaaague?
Is alchemist artificer-ish?

Just a few questions for you to bounce ideas off of. Looks pretty good so far!

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-22, 02:38 PM
ANSWERS!!!
-LowER Magic, Roman golden age setting
-Dwarves are sort of a proletariat that works the aqueducts, and crafts the stone
-Gnomes are sort of the middle upper class, the bourgeois, and participate in the republic government
-Humans are everywhere in between
-Monks don't really exist, it's a different word for cleric
-Alchemy isn't a question
-yes, the church does rule, but i think that i may have it unorganised, and one campaign story line could be the conversion to something like an evil caricature of Christianity
-there could be plauges
-I guess, I don't have the book with the artificer, but probably

thanks

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-22, 03:18 PM
DIVINE MAGIC:
Divine Magic is created by faith, so your will, and your belief change the physical world. Divine "Spells" are not spells, but "Miracles".

Hunters(Rangers) Do not have any actual miracles, instead, they get a +(spell level) to a roll in the following choices:

Attack
Damage
Survival
Tracking
Handle Animal
Ride

These do not have to be prepared.

Clerics
Clerics Remain largely the same, but instead of directly influencing the world, their miracles are not so obvious, For example Curing wounds does not create any magical light, but instead spreads the effect over the (number of diced rolled) rounds. Clerics are also granted one extra domain miracle at level 1 and every three levels thereafter

Druids
Druids are the same, but also do not directly influence the world. Wild shape only gives some of the properties of the animal, not shape or body, or hit dice

Kroy
2008-12-22, 03:58 PM
Looks good so far. BTW, are you going to be making any major class changes besides the basic ideas you already posted? And are you going to post them up in detail?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-22, 03:59 PM
I am Currently working on that, they are being put into proper format as we speak

Dirt_Kami
2008-12-22, 04:39 PM
For a ranger with out magic there is a variant barbarian in Unearthed Arcana that might be suitable.

Barbarian
A barbarian who prefers crafty hunting over pure ferocity might choose to exchange his rage ability for certain ranger class features.
Gain
Favored enemy (as ranger); archery combat style, improved archery combat style, and archery combat style mastery (as ranger).
Lose
Rage, greater rage, indomitable will, tireless rage, mighty rage.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarian

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-22, 08:00 PM
Thanks, I Think I'll use That! :)

Solaris
2008-12-23, 08:23 AM
ANSWERS!!!
-LowER Magic, Roman golden age setting
-Dwarves are sort of a proletariat that works the aqueducts, and crafts the stone
-Gnomes are sort of the middle upper class, the bourgeois, and participate in the republic government
-Humans are everywhere in between
-Monks don't really exist, it's a different word for cleric
-Alchemy isn't a question
-yes, the church does rule, but i think that i may have it unorganised, and one campaign story line could be the conversion to something like an evil caricature of Christianity
-there could be plauges
-I guess, I don't have the book with the artificer, but probably

thanks

You might want to look at the Cloistered Cleric variant from UA for those monks.

However, if you do a campaign storyline wherein there's an evil charicature of Christianity, I'll hunt you down like the dog you are. That idea has been done to death, and it was never terribly good to begin with. If it rules but it's disorganized, that's gonna take some 'splainin' to do.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-23, 12:43 PM
Have there Really been storylines along that premise? I was not aware of that. Well, my own sorylines are my business, and i will not post upon them further.

Lappy9000
2008-12-23, 01:32 PM
Have there Really been storylines along that premise? I was not aware of that. Well, my own sorylines are my business, and i will not post upon them further.

Aw, but what'll I have to critique then? :smallwink:
I highly doubt Solaris meant anything malicious; just trying to give you a push to do something cool and original.

Odd thing about cliche material; lotsa people don't realize the idea has been done many times before. When I first started playing 3.5, the barbarian class immediately made me think of Viking of Celtic barbarians. Apparently, many people think that the class has a basis in the Native American Indian which supposedly is the cliche; not berserker vikings. I was surprised.

Athaniar
2008-12-23, 03:04 PM
Apparently, many people think that the class has a basis in the Native American Indian which supposedly is the cliche; not berserker vikings. I was surprised.

This surprises me too. I more think of Scouts when I think of a native American martial class.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-23, 06:12 PM
well, i was actually thinking of taking my campaign through a rough approxamation to the curriculum of AP Euro...see if they notice.

kopout
2008-12-23, 06:25 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee63/CommodoreFluffy/World.png

now, when it says "off the edge of the world" what do you mean ?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-23, 07:14 PM
off the map, that's how much of the world that the main empire is definitely aware of

kopout
2008-12-23, 09:15 PM
off the map, that's how much of the world that the main empire is definitely aware of

but that is not how the world is set up you cant have something bordering like that. Is it in another plane that contacts ours at those points? or should I just recite the mst3k mantra and go to bed?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-12-24, 02:18 PM
Yes, Yes you should