PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Commander's Strike questions

Dacia Brabant
2008-12-20, 07:16 PM
I was looking at Tactical Presence and Commander's Strike and got to thinking, would the benefit apply from Tactical Presence (and even Tactical Assault) on an ally's action point attack if the Warlord spent his action point to give an ally a basic attack via Commander's Strike? I know it only applies if they get an extra attack by spending an action point, but since they're the ones doing the attacking might that still qualify?

If it doesn't, then instead would not Action Surge be able to be applied on an action point attack used for Commander's Strike? It is my action point after all.

(Oooh, I just had a thought: what if you had two TacLords in a group, wouldn't you get the benefit of both these?)

Yeah I know, you shouldn't waste action point attacks on an at-will power, but when you're low on powers and still have an AP it's pretty handy and does good damage.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-12-20, 07:46 PM
Per action surge...

You gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls you make during any action you gained by spending an action point.The way I read it, the attacker has to spend his action point to get the bonus.

Per Commanding Presence...

When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an extra attack, the ally gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to one-half your Intelligence modifier.This one is much clearer. The ally has to spend his action point in order for Commanding Presence to trigger.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-20, 08:01 PM
Yeah I know, you shouldn't waste action point attacks on an at-will power,

Depends, really. Especially at low-level, if you have a good at-will for the situation and it misses, it is not a bad trick to use an action point to do it again.

Or, a wizard's trick: thunderwave a bunch of enemies together, then use an action point to throw a scorching burst over them.

Dacia Brabant
2008-12-20, 08:33 PM
Per action surge...
The way I read it, the attacker has to spend his action point to get the bonus.

So, it would apply since Commander's Strike since it counts as my attack, right?

Or, a wizard's trick: thunderwave a bunch of enemies together, then use an action point to throw a scorching burst over them.

True, true, we've used that trick a fair amount too.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-20, 10:06 PM
So, it would apply since Commander's Strike since it counts as my attack, right?

No.

You gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls you make during any action you gained by spending an action point.

An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target

You do not make an attack roll. Therefore, no +3 bonus is applied.

Dacia Brabant
2008-12-20, 10:19 PM
Oh well, I thought I'd found an exploit within the Exploits there. :smalltongue: