PDA

View Full Version : Name that Film! (Or TV show/game/novel/comic perhaps a song, but thats pushing it..)

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-20, 09:01 PM
Have you ever in your life, as you listlessly indulge in the vices of geekdom, (seen/read/played) a (Movie/show/game/comic/book) which you never could find afterward? Perhaps it was something you borrowed/watched/read/played) at a friends house, maybe you saw an advertisement. The most important thing though is that its name is beyond your reach!! How you ache and long to find it! To know that it wasn't some illusion or lucid dream!!

Well here's your chance! Assuming you know enough about it, lay what scraps and memories you have before the collective mind of 30000 geeks! perhaps they, in they're infinity and unpractical knowledge can help you!!
-----------------------------

To kick things into action I have one such question!. I really do!

There was a movie I once watched on some obscure channel, I suspect the movie itself was European, not British though. It was a bleak thing, focusing on an apartment building in a bleak European looking city, I'm going to say French. The main characters appeared to be a clown(a man who worked as a clown, he didn't go about wearing a red nose and a wig from what I saw.) As well as a timid woman who lived in a near by apartment. The woman seemed to be attracted to him and brought him baked goods several times.

The city in the film appeared to be suffering from famine or war maybe, a postman came at one point bearing a package, he was armed with a pistol which he used to keep away the other residents in the building while he made his delivery. The other residents of the building seemed to be very hostile towards others. During the night it was revealed that they had become cannibals and the last thing I remember is that they broke into the clown's room to try to eat him.

That's all I know, would be good to find it again..

Don't forget to list your own nameless treasures that are consuming your minds.

*NOTICE*I have seen fit to combine two other threads I made into this one, Geek-o-rama has made a post suggesting something similar, naturally I thought of it first though despite all evidence to the contrary.

Jorkens
2008-12-20, 09:12 PM
That's Delicatessen and it's brilliant.

Setra
2008-12-20, 09:41 PM
There is one movie I saw as a child that I can't remember too much about...

I can't remember the overall plot but there were two main characters. It was a cheesy action movie I think, and there were silly looking special effects.. At one point one of the leads cuts off his arm and uses the blood as some sort of weapon (think Waterbending).

I think after he does that he somehow ends up in a fishing village or something...

Coplantor
2008-12-20, 09:57 PM
Wierd movie, here was some kind of satanic sect, silly arcane/evil sounding names, an action heroe archeologist with a stupid blond girl, ancient caves full of doom. I can only remember well the final scene, the archeologist and he girl were standing on a snowy plane and as the camera zoomed out, you could see what seemed like a sleeping giant underground and they were right between his fingers wich were spruting out of the ground.

I dnt care if no one comes up with a title, it was a bad movie, an awfull bad movie, so bad, it was funny. Wich reminds me of another bad movie about a basilisk and a woman with scepter to control it. There were a group of nerdy guys playing DnD on a shopping while the basilisk started to kill everone, bu those three didnt feared it, in fact, one points at it and says "look, a dragon", the second one replies "that's no dragn, that's a basilisk" and the third one "you are such a dorks, that's a wyvern"

Awfull movies, both of them.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-21, 12:09 AM
Oh, I know. It's called Three Duplicate Topics!

Seriously, this would do much better all as one thread.

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-21, 01:37 AM
Oh, I know. It's called Three Duplicate Topics!

Seriously, this would do much better all as one thread.

Yes probably, but this isn't about getting hits for the thread but rather helping those unfortunates who happen to miss the title sequence for some movie on television. Anyway it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also after a quick skimming of google I think the second film Coplator described is Basilisk: The Serpent King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=12022638), a movie that I know absolutely nothing about. See Nerd-o-rama? if I put all three together I may not have had time to help Coplantor locate a dreadful sounding movie. Just look at all the posts plaguing the other two threads!

To Jorkens, I say thank you! With any luck I'll find it and be sated for a time.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-21, 01:51 AM
You mean all none of them?

I'm just saying, you could retitle this thread Name that Film/Show/Video Game/Comic Book/Cheese! and keep the whole shebang together rather than scattering it across the forum (and ask the mods to please close the other ones), where one or more of the threads is going to probably fall off the front page and into obscurity anyway.

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-21, 03:00 AM
You mean all none of them?

I'm just saying, you could retitle this thread Name that Film/Show/Video Game/Comic Book/Cheese! and keep the whole shebang together rather than scattering it across the forum (and ask the mods to please close the other ones), where one or more of the threads is going to probably fall off the front page and into obscurity anyway.

It was very important that you didn't check the other threads after I said that!

That is very good advise I'll admit, but how can I do something now because another person suggested it!?

I can't just take an idea that wasn't my own, that would be like wearing socks after someone buys you are large package of the useless things, or giving people suitcases I find all the time at the airport because they claim their names written on a tag attached, or agreeing with someone's request for me to stop kicking them.

So you see there's a problem, if I change the thread it would seem like it was your idea. I only way out of this mess you've made of things would be to pretend I never saw the post above this one, yes I think thats what I'll do.

------------------------------------

In my wisdom I have decided to alter he thread, incorporating two other similar threads into it, making it a general media sort of thing, books and comics may be included. Maybe music as well..

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-21, 03:41 AM
Your whimsy and reason will serve you well here, new forumer.

Now I just wish I had something to contribute...I recognized the Basilisk one, but unfortunately that one was easily answered. And thanks to the magic of digital TV service and IMDb, I can't think of any hazy recollections of my own.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-24, 02:02 PM
Wierd movie, here was some kind of satanic sect, silly arcane/evil sounding names, an action heroe archeologist with a stupid blond girl, ancient caves full of doom. I can only remember well the final scene, the archeologist and he girl were standing on a snowy plane and as the camera zoomed out, you could see what seemed like a sleeping giant underground and they were right between his fingers wich were spruting out of the ground.

The Fallen Ones (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421199/)

I actually kinda liked this movie. Casper Van Dien (from Starship Troopers) is always fun, and the blonde chick was hot. Also, I think there were midgets in it? I don't remember.

Coplantor
2008-12-25, 12:35 PM
The Fallen Ones (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421199/)

I actually kinda liked this movie. Casper Van Dien (from Starship Troopers) is always fun, and the blonde chick was hot. Also, I think there were midgets in it? I don't remember.

Probably there were midgets too, that movie had everything on it, EVERYTHING!

Anyway, a song here: I watched the videoclip a while ago, it was reggae-ish/hip hop I think, the singer looked like a jewish priest (I dont know how to write the propper word in english eben though I can say it right, funny? I dont think so.) And the song talked about love and god and light, you know? that kind of things. I can only remember that he repeated (probably the chorus) the phrase "out from my brain" or something similar. I wrote down the lyrics to google it, but I lost that piece of paper months ago and I just remembered the fact that that song exists.

Another song, it featured at the end of the simpsons episode in wich Apu had his 8 kids and they were sold to the circus. The song sounded while Homer and the guy who played the kid in "The Munsters" were on a small trycicle dodging posionous snakes. It sounded way to 80's-ish.

DomaDoma
2008-12-25, 01:18 PM
I'm looking for a song that would presumably have been on the radio in 1993 - it has a kind of metal-pop sound to it and goes:

Some of them live on the edge of the edge
Some of them live in your head
Some of your friends are crazy
Some of your friends are dead...

Also, this French march that, IIRC, is about Alsace-Lorraine. Really, I'd have better luck asking people I could hum a few bars to, but it has a bugle-call sort of section, a Sousa sort of section, and a deliciously stormy minor key section.

jamroar
2008-12-25, 02:10 PM
There is one movie I saw as a child that I can't remember too much about...

I can't remember the overall plot but there were two main characters. It was a cheesy action movie I think, and there were silly looking special effects.. At one point one of the leads cuts off his arm and uses the blood as some sort of weapon (think Waterbending).

I think after he does that he somehow ends up in a fishing village or something...

The Storm Riders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Storm_Riders), perhaps?

Setra
2008-12-26, 01:59 AM
The Storm Riders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Storm_Riders), perhaps?
That looks familiar, it could be it.. Now I need to find it to see if it is :smalltongue:

Edit: Looking it over again, that is definitely the right movie.

Wonder if I can find the uncut version...

JabberwockySupafly
2008-12-26, 10:40 AM
Probably there were midgets too, that movie had everything on it, EVERYTHING!

Anyway, a song here: I watched the videoclip a while ago, it was reggae-ish/hip hop I think, the singer looked like a jewish priest (I dont know how to write the propper word in english eben though I can say it right, funny? I dont think so.) And the song talked about love and god and light, you know? that kind of things. I can only remember that he repeated (probably the chorus) the phrase "out from my brain" or something similar. I wrote down the lyrics to google it, but I lost that piece of paper months ago and I just remembered the fact that that song exists.

This is a hard question for anyone who doesn't tend to listen to a lot "off the wall" or Underground Hip-Hop. Luckily, I listen to a lot of "off the wall" or Underground Hip-Hop :D

The artist you're talking about is Matisyahu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matisyahu), he's an Orthodox Jew, and a reggae singer. Very neat stuff, but can get a bit repetitive, pretty much like all reggae. The song you're thinking of is most likely King Without A Crown (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hip2i9yHZ38).

Edit: Oh yeah, and the song from the Simpson's episode? I think in that instance it was Danger Zone (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UOZ9NHDsY) by Kenny Loggins. I think.

Coplantor
2008-12-26, 10:47 AM
This is a hard question for anyone who doesn't tend to listen to a lot "off the wall" or Underground Hip-Hop. Luckily, I listen to a lot of "off the wall" or Underground Hip-Hop :D

The artist you're talking about is Matisyahu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matisyahu), he's an Orthodox Jew, and a reggae singer. Very neat stuff, but can get a bit repetitive, pretty much like all reggae. The song you're thinking of is most likely King Without A Crown (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hip2i9yHZ38).

Yes!! It was King without a crown, now I remember! That was the song! Thanks!

EDIT: Yes! It is danger zone!

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-26, 11:35 AM
This kid's TV show I can't remember the name of but remember liking involved some big floating city in the sky. The people were allied with dragons, and had knights in armour who rode on dragons and had wing things like Buzz Lightyear in case they fell off the dragon.

What was it called?

Coplantor
2008-12-26, 11:39 AM
Were they battling half dragon beings who dwelled on a fiery realm down on earth?

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-26, 11:42 AM
Were they battling half dragon beings who dwelled on a fiery realm down on earth?

I can't actually recall it, but it seems plausible because I do recall a floating city. That implies they couldn't live on land due to aforementioned fiery realm.

Coplantor
2008-12-26, 11:46 AM
Was it Dragon Flyz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Flyz)?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-12-26, 08:12 PM
That's what I thought too, when Ecalsneerg described it. Heh. I had one of the toys, and an episode on VHS. Never saw/watched/heard of the actual cartoon, though. Very odd indeed.

Ravens_cry
2008-12-26, 08:42 PM
There was this show I used to like as a kid on the knowledge network. It was an Australian science fiction show, and basically these people were lost in space and trying to get back to earth. For special effects it used CGI. A thing that sticks in my head was that the communications screens were a transparent red, the images on the screens were in a monochrome red, like a virtual boys colours. It was pretty kiddish, focusing mostly on the crews children. In the final show they make it back.

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-27, 02:55 AM
Was it Dragon Flyz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Flyz)?

Yeah, that's it. Thank you very much! :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2008-12-27, 10:37 AM
There was this show I used to like as a kid on the knowledge network. It was an Australian science fiction show, and basically these people were lost in space and trying to get back to earth. For special effects it used CGI. A thing that sticks in my head was that the communications screens were a transparent red, the images on the screens were in a monochrome red, like a virtual boys colours. It was pretty kiddish, focusing mostly on the crews children. In the final show they make it back.

Well, I'll be damned. I actually remember accidentally reading about that show just a few days/weeks ago on wikipedia/tv tropes. But I also can't remember the title for my life. I'll look into it again.

Ravens_cry
2008-12-27, 01:59 PM
Well, I'll be damned. I actually remember accidentally reading about that show just a few days/weeks ago on wikipedia/tv tropes. But I also can't remember the title for my life. I'll look into it again.
Thank you very much.:smallsmile:

Smeik
2008-12-28, 05:13 AM
I once read a book about an elderly man in Southern Ireland who was a malfunctioning, retired Cyborg who was hunted down by his own government because they wanted to erase the program he was created with.

I know the book was written by a german author but somehow I don't seem to be able to find it again. Can somebody help me?

(i still know that the book started with a scene of the cyborg in his bed who couldn't move because his muscles weren't working. the book was weird, but good.)

Eldan
2008-12-28, 05:16 AM
The Author is Andreas Eschbach, german title is "Der letzte seiner Art". Would be "The Last one of his Kind" or something in english, but no idea how they called the translation if there is one. Nice book.

Smeik
2008-12-28, 05:19 AM
Thanks! that was quick!

*goes off to amazon*

Eldan
2008-12-28, 05:51 AM
I'm apparently not the only one without anything better to do on a sunday morning :smallwink:

SmartAlec
2008-12-28, 07:08 AM
There was this show I used to like as a kid on the knowledge network. It was an Australian science fiction show, and basically these people were lost in space and trying to get back to earth.

Only thing that comes to mind is Escape from Jupiter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Jupiter

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-28, 11:57 AM
Ok, old book series. America got nuked, and two survivors (a teen boy and girl) decided to go to the opposite coast as the boy believed the bombing hadn't been so severe there and his parents who'd been on a trip might still be alive. They meet up when he stops her getting erm... 'used' by some guys, if I recall correctly, and there was a book where they found a couple doing a sort of 'Noah's ark' thing, trying to keep certain species of animal alive in a secluded farm-style set-up.

Astrella
2008-12-28, 06:36 PM
A song, but I only remember the clip. What I still remember is that music is apparently forbidden. A group of youngster gather somewhere to make music. One of them sells them out and in the end police/government special ops or something like that storm in.

Coplantor
2008-12-29, 09:23 PM
Anothermusical request, funny thing, I know the lyrics, curious thing? Google never founds anything when I look for them! So, the chorus goes something like this:

Take a little rythm
Take a little of that sweet, sweet music.
You gotta take a little rythm
and put it in your heart...

Fawkes
2008-12-29, 10:42 PM
Google never founds anything when I look for them!

Oh, really? (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS306&=&q=Take+a+little+rythm+Take+a+little+of+that+sweet% 2C+sweet+music.+You+gotta+take+a+little+rythm+and+ put+it+in+your+heart..&btnG=Google+Search&aq=-1&oq=)

Coplantor
2008-12-29, 10:48 PM
how did you? But... Why does it, and... but when I... And then again, and again, and I just, but it didnt and...

Know what? I'll just say thanks. Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

Z-dan
2008-12-30, 06:17 AM
I've got one which you'll prolly either know or don't...
A kids tv program, probably only in the UK- all I remember is that it involved toys that were alive (and this was pre-Toy Story) and one of the main characters was a grumpy green hot water bottle... Sorry I can't think of any more than that, but this has plagued me for the past several years :smallfrown:

Battleship789
2008-12-30, 11:11 PM
A song, but I only remember the clip. What I still remember is that music is apparently forbidden. A group of youngster gather somewhere to make music. One of them sells them out and in the end police/government special ops or something like that storm in.

Could this be 2112 by Rush? Its a multiple-part song, over 20 minutes total.

factotum
2008-12-31, 04:16 AM
I've got one which you'll prolly either know or don't...
A kids tv program, probably only in the UK- all I remember is that it involved toys that were alive (and this was pre-Toy Story) and one of the main characters was a grumpy green hot water bottle... Sorry I can't think of any more than that, but this has plagued me for the past several years :smallfrown:

Google indicates this is an Australian show called "Johnson & Friends".

Astrella
2009-01-06, 04:25 PM
Could this be 2112 by Rush? Its a multiple-part song, over 20 minutes total.

No, the clip is 70-80 style is that helps.

Z-dan
2009-01-08, 05:30 AM
Google indicates this is an Australian show called "Johnson & Friends".

That's the one :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: just wiki'd it and its definitely the one... now to head over to youtube :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2009-01-08, 06:57 AM
This one's been driving me crazy the past few days. It was an edutainment kids show about a caveman family living in the ice age. One of the cavemen was much smarter than the rest, and they'd solve dilemmas alongside the local mammoth family using low-end physics (the one episode I can sorta remember revolves around using levers to move something, and how the objects' relative positions made it harder or easier).