PDA

View Full Version : Wand Bracer

Cowboy_ninja
2008-12-21, 05:22 AM
There is an item. I'm not sure what its called but it lets its user switch between wands as a free action.

what book is it in and what is it called?

newbDM
2008-12-21, 05:34 AM
There is an item. I'm not sure what its called but it lets its user switch between wands as a free action.

what book is it in and what is it called?

You got it right. Wand Bracers. They are found in Dungeonscape.

However, note that they do not allow you to "switch" between wands. They merely allow you to pop one out from a character's wrist as a free action. The trick is that dropping a wand is a free action, so you simply drop the first wan in that hand and then pop out a new one.

You can take one in each arm, so be sure to keep track of which wands are on which arm.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-12-21, 05:40 AM
You got it right. Wand Bracers. They are found in Dungeonscape.

However, note that they do not allow you to "switch" between wands. They merely allow you to pop one out from a character's wrist as a free action. The trick is that dropping a wand is a free action, so you simply drop the first wan in that hand and then pop out a new one.

You can take one in each arm, so be sure to keep track of which wands are on which arm.

So there isn't anything that lets me switch between wands? as in i already have a wand in my hand then BAME i got a new wand in my hand.

i just think that dropping wands on the floor left and right might be a little dangerous...

Lentava-Heppa
2008-12-21, 05:47 AM
Glove of Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#gloveofStoring) lets you retrieve or store an item as a free action.

You could get one of those and the quickdraw feat. Store one wand as a free action and draw another as another free action with the feat.

If you are at the levels where you can afford wands you propably have BAB of atleast +1. So you can even without the feat draw a weapon (wand) as a free action made as part of your movement. So store wand in the glove, move to some direction and draw your wand during the move and you still have the standard action to use the second wand.

newbDM
2008-12-21, 05:47 AM
Well, you can have a wand in your right hand, then pop another wand in your left hand.

Or, you can have say wand A in your right hand, and wands B and C in your bracer in the same hand. Let's say you need to switch wands in the same round. Just drop wand A (a free action) and pop out wand B (another free action). Then if you want to switch again the next round, you can drop wand B (a free action) and pop out wand C (another free action).

I do not believe you can have more than one wand in the same hand at the same time, like you can not have more than one item/weapon in the same hand.

edit:

i just think that dropping wands on the floor left and right might be a little dangerous...

I see. Other than that I can't think of much.

If I remember correctly, it takes a full round action to place a wand into a wand bracer.

JaxGaret
2008-12-21, 06:06 AM
There's also the Casting Glove, from MIC. You can store any spell trigger item in it (a wand or even a staff), and use it without drawing it.

RandomNPC
2008-12-21, 04:26 PM
back in 3.0 dragon magazine there was a bracer for wizards, that let them set a wand in it (up to three per hand) draining a charge from the wand to set it to the bracer.

the bracer is magiced to not let wands "fall" out, but a good grapple, disarm, sunder, dispell, or draining of all charges allowed the wands to fall out. you could also pull them out willingly, but putting them back in drained another charge to set the wand back up with the bracer.

any of the three wands could be used by pointing a finger at a target and saying the command word, leaving the hand free for other things untill you needed to point.

it's to bad i didn't get that episode, i just read it at the lybrary. I'd love to get ahold of some of the older magic items and gear.

Edit: odly enough it was the "wand bracer" i'm only sorry i don't recall the cost...

Gorbash
2008-12-21, 07:34 PM
I just don't get it why retrieving wands as a free action costs 25000 gold.

Burley
2008-12-22, 09:30 AM
I just don't get it why retrieving wands as a free action costs 25000 gold.

Because nobody wants wand users to have fun.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-12-23, 06:52 PM
There's also the Casting Glove, from MIC. You can store any spell trigger item in it (a wand or even a staff), and use it without drawing it.

what is MIC?

im going to be doing the double wand weilder thing. Casting from 2 wands at once, and that is a full round action, meaning i only have swift/free/immediate/etc. actions to be used to switch wands.

AslanCross
2008-12-23, 07:20 PM
what is MIC?

Magic Item Compendium.

Simanos
2008-12-24, 07:10 AM
I rule that if you have a free hand you can keep items in it and use your main hand to "use" items and switch freely which item you want to use.
You can even use throwing daggers or a couple of javelins with no need for Quick Draw feat. That feat is used for drawing stuff our of their sheaths or whatever holds them on your body (and secreted weapons), not from your offhand. You can even hold a small shield (buckler or shield with shoulder-strap/telemon) and a couple of javelins or whatever (within reason), but of course you don't get a shield bonus until you have thrown all javelins and the offhand is free for shield-use.

what is MIC?

im going to be doing the double wand weilder thing. Casting from 2 wands at once, and that is a full round action, meaning i only have swift/free/immediate/etc. actions to be used to switch wands.
Ah a munchkin reason. Then my suggestion will not help.