PDA

View Full Version : An early item with backstory[3.5e]

ZerglingOne
2008-12-21, 08:54 AM
Once, long ago, tyrannical gods ruled the infinite planes, and some persist even to this day. One great wizard, strong enough to overcome these gods, decided enough was enough and created a magical factory devoted to helping his arcane brethren. Within this great forge, he created magical wonders en masse which he sold to young wizards for merely a fraction of what they cost to make. These items have been passed down from generation to generation throughout the magical community for centuries. These items, designed specifically to mock the gods, were known as the Reverse Alchemist and Libram Infinitum. Too many times his spell books lost at a great cost to himself when he was young, too many books did he fill with his nearly endless arcane might. He once kept as many as 10 spell books within a bag of holding. One day however, after much deliberation, he decided to create a magic item that combined the subtleties of the simple spell book with the extra-dimensional space provided by a bag of holding.

Libram Infinitum

This is an item I've designed because I hate to, as well as hate to make my players keep track of how many pages they've filled in their spell books, as well as where they keep their magical foci. All this item is, is a spell book that never seems to runs out of pages (rather, it has enough pages to store every spell in existence and their foci within it). As an added bonus, since the book contains so many pages, spaces may be cut out within it to hold magical foci for spells. Anything other than a magical focus for a specific spell placed into the Libram will simply fall straight through the covers to the ground. Since these were mass produced for eons, the price is insubstantial since more often than not, these are passed from master to apprentice. If the book changes owners (it contains the name of the owner, printed in ink on the front that may only be removed by the current owner while not affected by a mind affecting effect such as suggestion, charm person, or dominate person) the name of the new owner must be printed on the front page in ink at which point all spells, arcane foci, and any other writing that was in the book is lost to antiquity. Finally, if the book every leaves the current owner's possession, it enters a state of total stasis in which it can never come to any harm, nor can any other person open it.

Reverse Alchemist

Another nifty item for the lazy player/DM, this one specifically to replace the spell component pouch, another total annoyance of any DnD session. Alchemy, specifically the kind involving turning mundane objects into gold, turns out to be a completely reversible process! Any time a spell would require a spell component of greater than negligible cost, if the character using the reverse alchemist pays the cost of that item in gold, the RA will take the magical resonance of gold and bend it with arcane magic to match that of the spell component in question. This in turn can replicate nearly any item to be used as a costly spell component at the cost of simple gold or platinum coins. Like the Libram Infinitum, the Reverse Alchemist is transferred from owner to owner and thus has a negligible cost. Much like the LI, the RA goes into an indestructible stasis if ever removed from its owners possession.

I just wanted to put these up as valid reasons for people to not have to keep track of spell components or spell book limitations/fragility. I'm all for the "realism" of having to keep track of those things, but these items really help flow and gameplay. So, I feel that's grounds for them to be ruled in in the event a DM and his/her players don't want to micro-manage everything. The whole thing was basically me writing fluff about wanting to be lazy and just play the frelling game. :smallbiggrin:

Malacode
2008-12-21, 09:26 AM
I like it! The only potential for naughtiness I see is with the Reverse Alchemist and Raise Dead, as you specifically need 5,000 gp worth of diamonds... It's not just the gp cost of the diamonds, but the rarity as well. They're not exactly easy to come by. Maybe the Reverse Alchemist can't create rare reagents?

Eikre
2008-12-21, 09:38 AM
Are you insinuating that 5,000 GP worth of diamonds is worth more than 5,000?

If that's the case, then I'll gladly purchase a few 4,000 GP diamonds at their true worth of 5,000 to satisfy the requirements in your game, instead.

Why, I could even create a small principality where I tax the import of diamonds by 400%, and secretly sponsor smugglers who deal with 1,000GP diamonds and raise aventurers for only 3,000- much less than you can get in other kingdoms where those 5,000 worth of diamonds would be too rare to get for anything less than 6,000! Then I would take a cut of 1,000, and the smugglers would get a cut of 1,000, and my kingdom would benefit from the tourists that are technically illicitly raising people from the dead but that we're all looking the other way on.

And then they'll ask me, "How did you do this?"

And I'll say, "Magic."

And the clerics will ask, "Yeah, but how did you do this?"

And I'll whisper, "Economics."

UserClone
2008-12-21, 10:44 AM
The fact is, if you keep turning gold into diamonds, soon enough diamonds will be extremely cheap and gold far more rare, and thus valuable. So the reverse alchemist is likely a bad idea for most games, but the concept is sound. Why not simply get rid of the ability, as has been said, to produce especially rare reagents this way?

Edit: It isn't that 5000 gp/diamonds is worth more than 5000 gp, it's that in diamonds, that is FAR less mass, due to the rarity, and thus, percieved value of diamonds. If everyone is walking around blinged out (which they would be if someone kept turning gold into diamonds), gold would become much more valuable due to its rarity, and diamonds would become the new gold standard.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-12-21, 11:22 AM
And then they'll ask me, "How did you do this?"

And I'll say, "Magic."

And the clerics will ask, "Yeah, but how did you do this?"

And I'll whisper, "Economics."

This is the best thing I have read on these forums, ever.

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-21, 11:32 AM
This is a nice way to formalize the handwaving that is often done over these aspects of the rules. It's easier just to not keep track, but if one or more players are persnickety about these kind of details, this is a good solution. The one problem that leaps off the page at me is this sentence, "Anything other than a magical focus for a specific spell placed into the book will simply disappear into oblivion and the page it's on will never reveal itself." This seems unnecessary and potentially abusable. It's essentially a way to make something disappear forever. Why not just say, "Anything other than a magical focus for a spell contained in the Libram cannot be placed in the volume"?

Regarding the pouch, I like this limitation, "This in turn can replicate nearly any item to be used as a costly spell component at the cost of simple gold or platinum coins" as it leaves some possibility that rare or special spell components might still require adventuring for.

ZerglingOne
2008-12-22, 03:50 AM
This is a nice way to formalize the handwaving that is often done over these aspects of the rules. It's easier just to not keep track, but if one or more players are persnickety about these kind of details, this is a good solution. The one problem that leaps off the page at me is this sentence, "Anything other than a magical focus for a specific spell placed into the book will simply disappear into oblivion and the page it's on will never reveal itself." This seems unnecessary and potentially abusable. It's essentially a way to make something disappear forever. Why not just say, "Anything other than a magical focus for a spell contained in the Libram cannot be placed in the volume"?

Regarding the pouch, I like this limitation, 2. "This in turn can replicate nearly any item to be used as a costly spell component at the cost of simple gold or platinum coins" as it leaves some possibility that rare or special spell components might still require adventuring for.

1. Thank you for pointing this out, I will change the wording haha.

2. Yes, certain spell components such as spells that require a shaped material component such as a small statue, or a material component that is also used as a focus, such as a gem used for soul bind cannot be replicated. However, for diamonds in the use for resurrection, It is not my intent to make the revolving door spin any faster, though having to spring 5k for raise dead along with the lost level is pretty bad. Also, it doesn't turn gold to diamonds, it simply allows gold to mimic the magical properties of diamonds of the same value.

Edit: Oh, and if a mod could possibly move this to the homebrew section, I'd be quite grateful.