PDA

View Full Version : Sugest me a PC game for Christmas present

Oslecamo
2008-12-21, 12:03 PM
Ok, Christmas day is aproaching, and I had promised myself I would offer me a new game should I make at least one university chair before the exam period.

Well, yesterday the classifications came out, and I'm passed! Woot, another under the belt:smallbiggrin:

Unfortenetely, I have NO idea on what game to get, since I have little idea of what good games came out recently.

So I come here asking for your advice. Anyone can tell me what a good buy would be right now? I can afford to spend up to 60-70 euros in this buy.

What I want:
-Action, adventure, RTS, RPG, FPS, love them all
-Good single player mode/campaign that can keep me entertained for several weeks if not months.
-Good graphics, since I finally have a laptop to suport them.

What I don't want:
-Sport games
-Duel fighting games like Soul Calibur, mortal kombat, ect.
-MMORPGs

What I considered:
-Red Alert 3, but some people say it really isn't worth it.
-Fallout 3, but, just as RA3, it received bad reviews from some.
-Starcraft 2, but it isn't going to come out so soon.

If you can give me your personal opinion about RA3 and Fallout 3 I would be most thankfull

Most recent games I played and loved:
-Warcraft 3
-Dawn of war(all)
-Supreme comander
-Metroid prime(all)
-Almost all of the Zelda series
-Half of the final Fantasy series

Yes. I know most of the above games came out years ago. I said I was desactualized. I normally buy games for my home consoles, but that was because I had a crappy latop who could barely run Warcraft 3. Now that I have a shiny laptop, I want a shiny game to go with it.

Ikialev
2008-12-21, 12:07 PM
Graphics aren't so important. ><
Don't listen to them, Fallout 3 is awesome.
Or Banjo-Kazooie. [It IS a good game. And it kept me entertained for month.]

Also, why a laptop?

Oslecamo
2008-12-21, 12:16 PM
Graphics aren't so important. ><
Don't listen to them, Fallout 3 is awesome.
Or Banjo-Kazooie. [It IS a good game. And it kept me entertained for month.]

Also, why a laptop?

Because I'm studing in an university away from home, and my TV consoles get left back at my lair. My current room is so small that I can't really install a TV here, so my Laptop and DS are my only gaming plataforms for most of my time.

Well, that's another vote up for fallout, good.

I already played Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, but I don't own a Xbox, thus I can't play the last version.

Terraoblivion
2008-12-21, 12:17 PM
What kind of person would give Fallout 3 a bad review? :smallconfused:

I mean it has bad elements, but despite them it is one of the best if not the best game released this year. It just succeeds completely in everything except for storytelling.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-21, 12:33 PM
FO 3 for the computer is amazing.

FO 3 for a console is less so, but still awesome.

warty goblin
2008-12-21, 12:40 PM
Go buy the Orange Box. Now.

Artanis
2008-12-21, 03:33 PM
What kind of person would give Fallout 3 a bad review? :smallconfused:

I mean it has bad elements, but despite them it is one of the best if not the best game released this year. It just succeeds completely in everything except for storytelling.
Fallout 1 and 2 probably have something to do with it. No matter how good something is, if it falls short of its name, it will be underrated, sometimes drastically so. Star Control 3, X-Com: Apocalypse, even the Star Wars prequels suffered this fate.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-21, 03:49 PM
Go buy the Orange Box. Now.

This. Half Life 2 should keep you busy for at least one week, portal only a few hours. But team fortress 2 is forever. Its not single player though, like you wanted. Also only 20 bucks.

Bryn
2008-12-21, 03:52 PM
Fallout 3 - every game, ever, gets some bad reviews. Fallout 3 is fantastic. It definitely lasts a long time - I'm not even close to seeing and doing everything that can be done. It offers loads of options, quests are generally interesting, graphics are definitely more than reasonable.

The main complaints about Fallout 3 are that it is too easy (if you use stimpaks) and that the ending isn't exactly great.

Otherwise... Fallout 3 is brilliant.

Some other reccomendations...
Fallout
Fallout 2
The Orange Box (which contains Half-Life 2, HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2, all of which are awesome)
Half-Life

Now, Fallout and Fallout 2 have plenty to do, but their graphics are fairly dated. Half-Life is similarly not amazing graphically (but look out for the Black Mesa mod, which is free, if you want to play through Half-Life with modern graphics).

The Orange Box, meanwhile, should keep you going for a fair bit of time (though not as much as Fallout 3), and though Half-Life 2 is beginning to show its age they still look great.

Consider also Crysis, if your laptop is as good as you say.

Oregano
2008-12-21, 03:55 PM
Fallout 3 is indeed great and mods will be become ever more common now that the modding set it out, so you can enhance it as well.

Personally, I don't see the fascination with difficult games. It seems a real stupid way to rate a supposed art form.

Smight
2008-12-21, 03:58 PM
Fallout 3 is a horid putrid excuse for a game which tries to be FPS and RPG at same time and fails at both, and worse sequal than Inidian Jones 4
RA3 is everithing you expect from RA title, RTS with crappy acting scenes in between missions but then again witouth crappy acting it just wouldn't feel like RA game,
i would recomend Sins of a solar empire for RTS and
Left 4 dead fo FPS

Oregano
2008-12-21, 04:17 PM
Fallout 3 is a horid putrid excuse for a game which tries to be FPS and RPG at same time and fails at both.

It's actually not, it's meant to be an Action/RPG in the vein of the Elder Scrolls series, god knows why it was marketted like an FPS, they only shown the shooting, it was probably to get Chavs who only play Halo and Gears of War(I've played both but neither are Godly) to buy it.

Phase
2008-12-21, 04:17 PM
Fallout 3 is a horid putrid excuse for a game which tries to be FPS and RPG at same time and fails at both, and worse sequal than Inidian Jones 4

That's... uh... vivid...

I liked Fallout 3, but if you haven't gotten the Orange Box, then get it, or just The Half-Life series. I do concede that Half-Life 2 is beginning to show its age graphically, but gameplay wise it's about the greatest FPS out there, IMHO.

Bryn
2008-12-21, 04:19 PM
OK, I'm going to have to disagree with you there, TOG.

While Fallout 3 uses a first-person (or third person, if you'd rather) interface, it is designed to be played using VATS more than anything. I wouldn't say that it tries to be an FPS. If you were determined to play it as an FPS, though, I suppose it would be somewhat hard.

As an RPG... the actual roleplaying is extremely diverse, and there is a great variety of stuff you can do and options to play your character. There were at most two moments where the conversation option I wanted wasn't listed - other times, there is plenty of variety. Almost all the quests have multiple ways to complete them, so far as I can tell.

The world is well-realised, and there is loads of detail packed away, particularly in computers. Characters are generally reasonably well-realised, although it might be fair to argue that there are too few of them (as there are fewer nameless citizens in towns and cities than there were in the earlier Fallouts). In general, it feels post-apocalyptic, although combat is not as randomly, ruthlessly lethal as it was in Fallout 2.

I'm going to stop writing now, though, because I'm seriously highjacking this thread and there's already a Fallout 3 thread in which this argument has probably been repeated at least a dozen times. Suffice to say that I disagree.

Edit:

I do concede that Half-Life 2 is beginning to show its age graphically, but gameplay wise it's about the greatest FPS out there, IMHO.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Gameplay-wise, Half-Life 2 remains great, and graphically it's still pretty reasonable.

Artanis
I rest my case.

Flickerdart
Fallout 3 is not an FPS. There's a reason VATS exists.

Anyways. toss us your laptop's specs first. Use http://systemrequirementslab.com to see if you can run things. Because Fallout 3, while certainly playable at lowest settings (and that's how I cleared it, too) isn't what it could be when set to at least medium.

Drascin
2008-12-21, 04:55 PM
I have to say, if you like FPSs, you really should try the Orange Box. It's really great for its price, and the games in it are golden - heck, I don't even like FPSs that much, and I still liked Half-Life!

Moose Fisher
2008-12-21, 05:07 PM
Dwarf Fortress, its free and all you need is processing power.:smallwink:
Try Iji too, it's free and is similar to Metroid. I haven't found all the secrets yet.

Buuuut, if you really want to buy a game, I'll throw my vote in the Fallout 3/Orange Box direction. Fallout 3 will give you enough content to last awhile, while Orange Box is the best gaming deal of the century.

I think Grand Theft Auto 4 is on the PC now, but I haven't played it.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-21, 05:18 PM
Do you have Forged Alliance(the expansion of Supreme Commander)? If not, you might want to try it, as the expansion really changes the way the game is played(mass fabricators aren't as efficient or easy to get, so you need to expand, plus new units keep the lower tiers more interesting).

Also, I would suggest downloading Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php), a Shooter in the style of the old Metriod games. Best of all it's free(this does mean the graphics aren't great, but it does have good gameplay)!

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-21, 06:43 PM
Consider also Crysis, if your laptop is as good as you say.

Also this. Crysis is a great game.

And FO3 is pretty easy. Its like they realized that oblivion got a little too hard for most classes once you got to the high levels, and just tried a little too hard to fix it.

warty goblin
2008-12-21, 07:19 PM
Also this. Crysis is a great game.

And FO3 is pretty easy. Its like they realized that oblivion got a little too hard for most classes once you got to the high levels, and just tried a little too hard to fix it.

I'll third Crysis, although that game's really not about the story. It's about the really good gameplay. In terms of gunplay I'd rank it just behind Half-Life 2, but the suit powers and the open levels are awesome. Also the tank level is pretty much the best vehicle sequence in an FPS ever, since the vehicle actually isn't necessary.

Triaxx
2008-12-21, 07:27 PM
Total Annihilation. Yes, it's old. Eleven years now. And yet it's the most fun game I've ever played, period.

Something newer might be the Ghost Recon games.

Murska
2008-12-21, 07:36 PM
Do you have Forged Alliance(the expansion of Supreme Commander)? If not, you might want to try it, as the expansion really changes the way the game is played(mass fabricators aren't as efficient or easy to get, so you need to expand, plus new units keep the lower tiers more interesting).

Not to mention that it has a couple more campaign missions, some of which are quite difficult. :smalltongue:

Scroofy
2008-12-21, 07:45 PM
Fallout 3 is an awesome game with hours of gameplay in it, I don't understand why anyone would like it. I have heard good things about Farcry 2 as well but I have yet to play it. I also second the motion to get Crysis and the Orange box since both are fantastic.

Setra
2008-12-21, 09:22 PM
I will reinforce suggestions for both Fallout 3 and the Orange Box.

Fallout 3 generally gets bad reviews from people whom played the first two, but good reviews from most others.

I personally didn't like the first two but that's just me...

When it comes to the orange box well... It's pure fun.

Narkis
2008-12-21, 10:04 PM
I totally second the Orange box. Valve knows what it's doing. Fallout 3's a good game on its own, but has no right to be named Fallout. And it has a lot of annoying things that pile up and make you wonder just what kind of idiot would allow such things in the sequel of the RPGs with some of the best stories and dialogs in the history of gaming. This (http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=47347) is a review of Fallout 3 that I agree with 101%.

Red Alert 2 is not worth your money. It's just a standard microing nightmare RTS with zero true strategy required, and with the ridiculousness and sex contained ramped up to eleven. Only thing I've liked about the game are the cutscenes, and you can find these on youtube for free.

Moving on, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great RTS, if you enjoy slow empire building games and like space. Neverwinter Nights 2 is also pretty good, and the latest expansion adds some good stuff. Mass Effect is an shooter RPG you must have if you haven't got it already. And I've heard good things about the new Call of Duty by people I trust, though I haven't managed to spend some quality time with it yet.

Terraoblivion
2008-12-21, 10:14 PM
Most people who played the first two Fallout games like Fallout 3 as well. It is only the people who are in the actual fan communities who disagrees, though at times i get the feeling that no game could have been to their satisfaction. They first complained about Van Buren as well and then later held it up as the example of what the next Fallout should have been. They even disliked Fallout 2 when it was released.

warty goblin
2008-12-21, 10:33 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire is sixteen kinds of awesome. It's worth noting that there's no single player story driven campaign. But then Civ 4 didn't have one either, and I never heard any complaining.

Knaight
2008-12-22, 05:37 PM
If your not picky on Graphics, also buy DROD Journey to Rooted Hold. Great game, cheap, not great graphics, but it has hours and hours in play time, probably a 60-80 hour game. Its action/adventure/puzzle(reasonable puzzle, and consistent, basically comes of being turn based action, not lots of weird minigames style) game, and its really really fun, although the first three levels are a bit easy.

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-22, 05:44 PM
Fallout 3 is great. If someone gave it a bad review, then its because they tried to go through it with nothing but melee weapons and got themselves stomped when they encountered their first group of raiders.

While graphics dont really matter, they're above par in FO3 in relation to other games and while the main story isn't very long there's plenty of interesting side quests to play. Then theres the fact that it's on PC, which means you can edit things to your liking. Need more ammo? you got it. Want all your enemies to wield toilet plungers and speak spanish? you got it. Want to replace the bullets with lawn gnomes...piece of cake. having it on PC just makes ti so much more fun.

Seriously, bad reviews either come from people who suck at the game, nit pick every little detail, or bought too much into the hype generated by the first two titles.

Dublock
2008-12-22, 08:15 PM
about crysis. If you want to push your laptop to the limit with some fast action FPS action, go ahead and get Crsys. Theres not a lot of story..nor for me does it last that long. I went through the first one...about a week (with school) I did the warheads one in one day. Granted I sat down and did nothing else that day..but still (not on the hardest difficulty..2nd to hardest).

I'm getting The Witcher for the PC for xmas. A good number of people say its the best RPG ever which I'm definetly interested in. Also I know I get a lot of time put into RPGs.

Another vote for Orange Box. It IS the best deal of the century. So many good games for so little money.

Oslecamo
2008-12-22, 08:56 PM
Well thank you very much for the sugestions everybody. I'll probably go with Fallout 3, since it was the one I was originally interested in, and you guys drove away the fears I had developed from the bad reviews I had heard.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-23, 12:58 AM
I'm getting The Witcher for the PC for xmas. A good number of people say its the best RPG ever which I'm definetly interested in. Also I know I get a lot of time put into RPGs.

Heh, I'm also getting The Witcher this christmas. I played the demo and it just absolutely blew me away. Can't wait for this one.

I also have another quick recommendation(I know the OP already decided, but I've been playing this game non-stop for the past day or so, just have to mention it). Mount and Blade. Really, really underrated title if I say so myself. The basic deal with the game is that:

It is an RPG. You customize your character while picking party members and dealing with factions.
You lead small to large armies (anywhere from just yourself to hundreds) into battle
Combat takes place when you move your cursor over a hostile group on the overhead map, or on a friendly group you want to make hostile. From there it goes to a large instanced outdoors area for the fighting.

Really, really fun. There is a free demo on steam, as well as here on fileplanet (http://www.fileplanet.com/159856/150000/fileinfo/Mount-&-Blade-v1.011-Demo). I highly reccomend the demo to any RPG /action game fan.

Istari
2008-12-23, 09:22 AM
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne