PDA

View Full Version : Having problems to create items

Thorin
2008-12-21, 03:04 PM
It should be easy, but my DM and I canīt seem to come to an understatement about prices (lets say market price for now).

I would like to know how much do YOU think the parket price of the following items are:

.Boots that grants +10 ft, +20 ft, +30 ft to land speed (always active).
.Ring that grants one invocation (only warlock): lesser, least, greater, dark.
.Wand/Rod that increase Eldritch Blast damage: +1, +cha.

Really will appreciate the help

Curmudgeon
2008-12-21, 05:19 PM
Boots of Striding and Springing are 5,500 gp. The standard cost formula for +5 to a skill (Jump) requires 2,500 gp, leaving 3,000 gp for the second effect (+10' speed enhancement). DMG second properties on magic items require a 1.5x cost multiplier, so the base cost for +10' speed is 2,000 gp.

There is no set formula for speed enhancement, but the general way increasing enhancements work is (bonus squared) x constant. Since speed is figured in 5' increments, the constant would be 500 gp for each 5' of speed enhancement. That gives the following prices:
+5': 500 gp
+10': 2,000 gp
+15': 4,500 gp
+20': 8,000 gp
+25': 12,500 gp
+30': 18,000 gp

RTGoodman
2008-12-21, 05:44 PM

Curmudgeon's idea seems good for that.

Invocations have an equivalent spell level, right? Just make the item as if you were making a wondrous item that grants a spell of that level X times per day (or at-will, or continuously, or whatever), as per HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues).

Not sure on this one. Isn't there a rod in Complete Arcane that gives you an extra 1d6 damage on your Eldritch Blast or something like that? I'd just use that, or at least extrapolate the price from there.

AmberVael
2008-12-21, 06:02 PM
Chasuable of Fell Power adds +1d6 damages to eldritch blast and costs 8000 gp. I might price +1 damage at 2000 or 1000, somewhere around there.

As for Invocations:
Rods of Eldritch power can apply a specific Essence Invocation or Blast Shape Invocation 5/day, and cost this amount:

Least: 4,000
Lesser: 16,000
Greater: 36,000
Dark: 64,000

I assume it would be fair to say that you could make a similar item that allowed you to use a specific invocation 5/day, since all invocations cost the same amount to a warlock selecting them in character creation.

Ninetail
2008-12-22, 12:11 AM
It should be easy, but my DM and I canīt seem to come to an understatement about prices (lets say market price for now).

I would like to know how much do YOU think the parket price of the following items are:

Magic item pricing in 3e is often tricky. The rules in the DMG can't always be applied to come up with a good result; often, the price it gives needs to be adjusted by ear. Checking the prices of many of the premade magic items will confirm this.

For one blatant example, an item of constant true strike would be very cheap by the formula, but no GM worth his salt would ever allow that.

So my next question is, what do you think the prices should be, and what does your GM think? I'm guessing he feels they should be higher than you do. I'm also guessing he's got a reason for that.

Personally, I feel boots of striding and springing are undervalued. I'd place a +10' modifier at around 5,000 gp value on its own. Reverse-engineering to use the bonus-squared formula gives a base of 50 so, 20' would be 20,000 gp and 30' would be 45,000 gp. I'd call it an enhancement bonus.

If this seems pricy, remember that fast movement is a class feature, and magic items that grant class features are often pretty expensive. See the ring of evasion, for instance. Or the ring of spell storing.

If the invocation can be used once per day, I'd price it similarly to a ring of wizardry, which has a fairly similar function: providing an extra "slot" for a power. If it can be used more often, multiply the price accordingly.

I'd say 1000gp for the +1. That's half the cost of a +1 weapon enhancement, for half the effect (+1 to damage, but not to hit).

+Cha is trickier because of the scaling. Going with the weapon-equivalency makes it an epic item pretty quickly. I'd probably eyeball it as a +4-equivalent enchantment.