PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items Contest!

Baron
2005-02-01, 06:57 AM
New contest! This time, you will be creating a series of related Magical Items for a generic D&D setting. These items can be psionic items if desired. Here are the rules:

1.) You will be creating at least 5 items, one from each of the following categories, plus 2 others from any category.

1: Weapons & Armour
2: Rings, Rods, Staffs and Psicrowns
3: Wondrous Items

1a.) You may create more items if you wish. A series of items like bracers of armour that have multiple versions but at different modifiers will count as only one item.

2.) All items created must be thematically linked. The theme is up to you, but it must be clearly stated at the start of your entry post. Stating that all items were created by the same person is not enough of a theme; they should all relate to the same type of person, place, effect, motif, etc. Feel free to include flavour text for how the spells were created and for what purpose.

3.) Items should be for D&D only, and not specific to Forgotten Realms or Eberron. Try to avoid referencing non-core books if possible, but do what you have to do.

4.) All items will need to list the relevant details as per standard descriptions, including magical aura, CL, feats & spells required for construction and cost as appropriate for the item.

5.) Each new set of items should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that set of items and the discussion of it. Put the tag [Magic Items] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.

6.) Post on this thread to let the mods know that you have entered a list of spells. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference.

7.) The contest begins today, 1st February. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, 28th February; you may even add additional items to your set. On 1st March, we will lock all entry threads temporarily for the voting period (details of which will be announced at that time).

8.) Categories of voting and judgement will include the following:
Best Set of Items
Best Item. (The single item you most would be interested in bringing into your campaign immediately; for this award, just choose ONE from someone's list to vote for.)
Funniest Items
Best Exploration of a Theme
Website Staff Award (this will not be voted on by the general public, but judged by Amber, Rich and the Mods).

9.) All winners will receive a custom title for the months of March and April, so they can gloat. ;D

Edited to include psionic items.

GeekDaddy
2005-02-01, 11:11 AM
Up to and including artifacts? What about Epic level items? Or is this more of magic for the common people?

Premier
2005-02-01, 11:39 AM
I'd say whatever you think would be suitable.

Even though personally, I think rule 1 is pointlessly restrictive. A suit of armor (cuirass, pauldrons, greaves, gauntlets etc.) plus fitting weaponry could make a great set, but you can't do it because it wouldn't have a ring, rod, etc. Similarly, a full outfit for a powerful magus (who'd find actual hand-to-hand combat beneath him) would be interesting, but can't be done because of the mandatory weapon inclusion. Ah, too bad.

Baron
2005-02-01, 11:42 AM
In the hope that more people will be able to benefit from the submissions, I'm going to rule that the 5 items will need to be non epic and not including artifacts. You shouldn't be surprised to see the item within the relevant section in the DMG.

If you wish to create more items, feel free to do so. These can be epic level items and artifacts and may well help you with votes for "Best Set".

As you say, "magic for the common people" :)

Aran
2005-02-01, 11:53 AM
I also disagree with the restrictions on item types. It makes it much harder to actually design a "set" of items, and pulls the contest more into the realm of "multiple items with no thematic connection but held together by a thin thread of cheesy plot because the creator HAS to have a wand included in his set of equipment that was once wielded by a powerful warrior." I suppose I can roll with it, however, since I have to.

Baron
2005-02-01, 12:00 PM
Appologies if you feel rule 1 is pointlessly restrictive. I will disagree though.

I designed these rules so that a broad range of magical items would be created. If you wish to create designed primarily for a fighter, you still can. For example 2 weapons, a suit of armour, a ring and a helm (as they appear within wonderous items).

Your archmage? Many of those will still carry a weapon of some sort, even if it's a dagger. You only need to design one weapon, the rest can be from the other section.

It should at least encourage a series of simple weapons that an archmage, might actually consider useful to take along with him.

Aran
2005-02-01, 12:08 PM
Alright, I can live with it I suppose.

One more question: Can we use psionic items? For example, can we have a dorje in place of a rod/staff/ring? Or a psicrown in place of a wondrous item?

Baron
2005-02-01, 12:25 PM
Thinking about it, yes psionic items can be entered.

I'd leave out dorjes out of the 5 for the same reason I left wands, potions and scrolls out. They just allow an existing spell/power to be cast. I'd also say the same for psionic tattoos and power stones. As before, if you want to add them as extra "flavour" to your entry feel free.

I'd say that Psicrowns are more similar to staffs than generic wondrous items, so they can go in that category.

I'll edit the rules to reflect this change.

Premier
2005-02-01, 12:32 PM
If you wish to create designed primarily for a fighter, you still can. For example 2 weapons, a suit of armour, a ring and a helm (as they appear within wonderous items).

Yes, but that still doesn't address the issue of sets where the common feature is NOT the identity of the owner. What about, say, 5 magical elemental bows created by the same mystic fletcher? (Or 5 swords by a mystic blacksmith, or 5 staves/rings by a mystic enchanter, etc.) Certainly a set that follows a strong theme, but no way to fit it around the rules. "Set" doesn't necessarily mean they're used by one single person.

Hydro
2005-02-01, 12:51 PM
I also think that rule #1 is a bad idea. That rules out both the item set ideas that have been shared so far: White Blade's biblical set doesn't include a weapon (unless he, say calls Araon's staff a weapon rather than a staff), while his katana set is.. well, composed entiraly of katanas.

The Regalia of Evil from the Book of Vile Darkness has a crown, a rod, and an orb but no weapon or armor. Monte's various Rods of Branding, from the Complete Book of Eldritch Might, are all rods. The Orbs of Dragonkind are all orbs. All awesome item sets.

GeekDaddy
2005-02-01, 01:02 PM
At the risk of seeming like I'm sucking up (only mildly) or angering anyone (not intended), I have no problem with rule # 1 at all. In fact, with a little imagination it becoems quite easy to fulfill the requirements of the contest while staying within its confines and making a plausible set of items, completely cheese, dairy and lactose free! Creating a set of five identical items with different properties is not as challenging, IMHO.

I would go into more detail, but you will just have to wait until I post my entry :)

Oh, sorry, one more question: May we have multiple entries? Not more than one sets of armor in a set, but say two complete sets different in makeup, theme and everything?

White Blade
2005-02-01, 01:18 PM
Guys your making a big deal out of nothing, you only have ti have one of each catogory, then its free rain as many as you want. I'll get my entrey up soon, but I am still debating wether to use the weapon that murdered able, or david's sling..

Baron
2005-02-01, 01:25 PM
Blimey!! :o

I didn't think running a contest cause this much grief so quickly!

Come on guys, it's not as if this is going to be the last ever contest ever run. It's all meant to be a bit of fun, where you all get to show off your ideas, lazy DM's get to go "that's a good idea!"

There are many different variations I could have gone for with a design some magic items; Design a set of weapons, Staffs for all comers, Rods and Rings etc etc etc.

Rather than just go design 5 magical items I figured that a little restriction would mean that you'd have to push yourselves slightly by having to think about bringing in an item you wouldn't maybe have done.

Also it makes it easier to compare between entries than 5 katanas vs 5 rings. My initial thoughts were just wonderous items, but I thought that would be restrictive against those with ideas for weapons. One just for weapons would cut out all the other items people might want to do.

My comprimise was to give you some flexibility (ie the spare two items), but also make you think about some of the other kinds of magic items there are. and integrate them.

Maybe after this competition I'll run another just on weapons or another just on rings. Though with the flack I'm getting over "restricting" your choices, I'm not sure I want to....

Sorry, but I really didn't think you'd all be so unhappy with the choice. I rather hoped you'd rise to the challenge.

Baron
2005-02-01, 01:28 PM
Oh, sorry, one more question: May we have multiple entries? Not more than one sets of armor in a set, but say two complete sets different in makeup, theme and everything?

No problems with that at all. As many seperate entries as your imagination allows.

Hydro
2005-02-01, 01:43 PM
More challenging, yes: in the sense that it rules out some possibly cool ideas and makes the writer come up with new ones which may or may not be better than what he had in mind origionaly, but will more closely resemble the entry of the poster next to him. I'm not sure that that's a good thing.

I may still enter, but my first two sparks of inspiration (a set of rings linking the members of an elite assemblage of mages, and a set of thematicaly-related weapons and sheilds) will have to be discarded, and while I'm sure I will come up with something I'm not sure it will be as cool.

For the record, I'm not upset, and have no beef with Baron what so ever. He is him so he sees things his way, I am me so I see things my way. And, as always, I am unwavering in my quest to make people who are not me see things my way as well. ;)

I would go with Kane's weapon. I mean, it was the first weapon used to kill a human, ever. Making David's sling magical might be a streatch, but in even a low-fantasy world how could the first murder weapon ever not be tainted with residual evil?

Baron
2005-02-01, 01:53 PM
I am going to assume in my happy land that you're joking. :D

Please, you are joking aren't you? :'(

:)

Edit: Er..... White Blade did I just remove your post by accident or was that you??

White Blade
2005-02-01, 02:00 PM
Um I did that, you said that we weren't using artifacts in the first three right because I read this...

In the hope that more people will be able to benefit from the submissions, I'm going to rule that the 5 items will need to be non epic and not including artifacts. You shouldn't be surprised to see the item within the relevant section in the DMG. its that how on earth would the bible item set work with the ruling that I can't use artifacts in the first five. The thing is that would crush my entire idea all of it, I can't even think of how to do that....
Wait I didn't read it in the offical rules, run and make your thing quickly wait o can't old computer broke now will have to right up moses' staff all over again....

Hydro
2005-02-01, 02:06 PM
(accidental double-post, but can be put to good use)

You can have mortal-level magic items that are completely unique, you know. The only disadvantage is that they can be broken or negated by other mortal magics. So, if I were you, I would make the least of the items as magic items with high caster-levels and call the big ones (like the holy grail and such) artifacts.

Hydro
2005-02-01, 02:20 PM
Yes, basicly I was joking. That was a dramatization, I'm realy quite willing to agree to disagree. Things would get pretty weird otherwise.

"GRR!! MUST MAKE BARON AGREE WITH ME! WHERE PUT MY WAND OF SUGGESTION?!" [/ogre voice]

The truth of the statement was this: debate is second nature to me, especialy when I'm pretty sure I'm right (which is essentialy all the time). So, if I disagree you, don't take it personaly. It doesn't mean I'm angry or that I'm trying to be hostile or anything, I just disagree.

You haven't caused me any greif. I'm happy that you got the contest going. And most of all, I'm sorry that you took my comments as flack, because I didn't mean them as a complaint and didn't mean any harm or slight at all by them.

Cool?

Baron
2005-02-01, 02:23 PM
This doesn't half get confusing. ::) My posting above about joking was in response to White Blades post on artifacts that dissappeared.

I've still got to say, I'm suprised at the response. I really am. It would appear that the contest I have put up is very different to the one you all imagined.

Think about it this way, next month we can have a contest to design artifacts, so that White Blade can do his stuff, the month after we can do one on weapons and armour, so that you can do yours, in May, we can do low level wondrous items so that starting players can afford interesting but not expensive items, "A Series of Staffs" in June....

Sorry I'm probably turning a bit cynical here... ::)

If you really don't like the contest then feel free to not enter. If you think you can come up with something interesting please do so.

But I don't feel like being lynched for trying to run a contest today. Sorry... :)

PS Hydro I shall never agree with you, for it is a matter of principle now! :P ;D

Edit: and you can stop writing at the same time as me too. That just makes things even more complicated! :P

Yes, Cool. Suprisingly even though I might sound a bit miffed, I'm all happy! :)

Hydro
2005-02-01, 02:32 PM
I LOVE The restrictions on this contest!!! It is always better to challenge writers and have every entry touch on a number of mechanical bases! After all, it's just a contest, and they should be able to rise to the challenge anyway!

Agreed?

*watches* o.O

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-02-01, 02:58 PM
Hydro, stop trying to break Baron's brain.

White Blade
2005-02-01, 04:32 PM
Yes, basicly I was joking. That was a dramatization, I'm realy quite willing to agree to disagree. Things would get pretty weird otherwise.

"GRR!! MUST MAKE BARON AGREE WITH ME! WHERE PUT MY WAND OF SUGGESTION?!" [/ogre voice]

The truth of the statement was this: debate is second nature to me, especialy when I'm pretty sure I'm right (which is essentialy all the time). So, if I disagree you, don't take it personaly. It doesn't mean I'm angry or that I'm trying to be hostile or anything, I just disagree.

You haven't caused me any greif. I'm happy that you got the contest going. And most of all, I'm sorry that you took my comments as flack, because I didn't mean them as a complaint and didn't mean any harm or slight at all by them.

Cool?
hey wait a second I'm an ogre... Your insultng me later...
Baron is right, limt to creativity good very excellent excellent perfect I love it...

JumpingBean
2005-02-01, 06:09 PM
I have posted my magic items. And I call first. :)

Lord of the Dervish Items (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11072955 94)

White Blade
2005-02-01, 06:29 PM
How could you, we were barginning for our rights how coud you. [/angry reverant voice] welcome

JumpingBean
2005-02-01, 07:36 PM
Sorry about that. Just a newbie and had brain-explosion jump into my head and a short term memory. That and I didn't read the rest of the posts.
Joking or not joking with me, I just wanted to get it started anyways.
;D

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-02-01, 07:47 PM
White Blade is (mostly) joking (I think). At this point, I think Baron's rules are pretty much what it's going to be, and even if they should change, your entry would probably still work.

In any case, you may want to link your entry in your post, or at least identify it.

McMouse
2005-02-01, 11:37 PM
It wouldnt be much of a challenge if we could do whatever we wanted, now would it?

Premier
2005-02-02, 05:06 AM
Yes, it WOULD be a challenge still. The challenge should arise from the need to create believable, interesting, novel, useful entries with high quality writing and rules, and not from having to conform to an ultimately arbitrary set of restrictions.

Or to put it in another way, such restrictions WOULD pose a challenge, but this challenge does not necessarily translate into QUALITY.

Baron
2005-02-02, 05:20 AM
Rules are as they are.

Feel free to have a ten minute sulk about them, before trying to create wonderous magical items.

;)

Premier
2005-02-02, 05:52 AM
It's for your own good. Moderatorial power must be kept in constant check by criticism, dissent and challenges to it, otherwise you might go soft, or even worse, go drunk with power, since power corrupts, as we know from the Lord of the Rings. :P

And no, no Wondrous Items for me, I'll just skip this competition with these rules. Funny it was me who suggested it in the first place.

The Giant
2005-02-02, 08:59 AM
Let's be clear: I wholeheartedly approved Baron's guidelines BEFORE he posted them. Difficult guidelines help separate the wheat from the chaff. If restrictive rules squash your creativity, then how creative are you, really?

Let's not forget that the first contest here required you to base a class off of your screen name--about as byzantine a requirement as I can think of.

Hydro
2005-02-02, 10:11 AM
I'm quite certian that we are all creative enough to create a set of magic items spread out across multiple item types one way or another. That isn't the point.

In my opinion, the "base your class off of your screen name" restriction made the contest more fun and interesting, even if the resulting entries weren't as good as those of a general "design a class" contest would have been.

In my opinion, the restrictions in this contest make the contest less fun and interesting, and the entries won't be as good as those of a general "design an item set" contest would have been.

I agree that restrictions can be a good thing, but only if they somehow add more to the contest than they take away.

I'll be entering, but I'm still working on what. Hey Premier, if you've got an idea for a set that doesn't fit into the contest why don't you post it for us in the Gaming forum?

Ikkitosen
2005-02-02, 10:16 AM
I have no preconceived ideas about what a set of magical items should do, and nothing prewritten that I want to show off, so I'm happy to start from scratch within the rules of this contest. Just need an idea now.......

[grateful for unpaid effort]Thought there should be 1 non-official bod saying "It's all good, thanks for the contest where we didn't have one before" :).[/grateful for unpaid effort]

Premier
2005-02-02, 12:55 PM
Let's be clear: I wholeheartedly approved Baron's guidelines BEFORE he posted them.

Do I infer a covert "might makes right" argument? :P

Difficult guidelines help separate the wheat from the chaff.

I would agree with that, if you were talking strictly about quality- or format requirements, but in this case, my beef is with the content limitations. Sure, there should be rules to make sure that the entries reach a certain level of quality - descriptions and statistics should be detailed enough to be usable, there should be a minimum X number of items, etc. etc. However, the rule in question is NOT such a rule. A set of, say, five helmets could be just as well- or poorly done as a set of 1 helmet, 1 armor, 1 sword, 1 ring and 1 staff, so this limitation does NOT actually set some sort of minimum quality bar - unless you believe that a set of items of various types is inherently better then a set of similar type items - which I'm sure you don't.

If restrictive rules squash your creativity, then how creative are you, really?

I feel this to be besides the point of this debate. Nobody here has argued that the rule is "too hard" for them; they argued that it prevents them from creating something - possibly VERY creative and original - for no good reason. Again: How is a set of 5 different items supposed to be inherently more creative than a set of 5 similar ones?

Let's not forget that the first contest here required you to base a class off of your screen name--about as byzantine a requirement as I can think of.

Yes, and it was great fun. However, and perhaps this is my greatest beef with the whole matter, it worked as advertised. It was a contest called "Screen Name Contest", and you had to do a writeup for your screen name - perfect unity of name and function. It was NOT called "Fantasy Name Contest" with a restrictive bylaw in the rules stating that you can use any fantasy name as long as it's your screen name and nothing else.

Now, however, the competition does NOT "work as advertised". It's called "Item Set Competition", but in fact it isn't. What it is is more like a "Collection of Dissimilar Items Competition", which is a lot more restricted than what the competitions claims to be by its title, and which is not what most of us wanted. If the whole affair was called "Hodgepodge Items Comp." or somesuch, I wouldn't raise a finger in protest. However, it's called "Item Set Comp.", so I want it to be about sets of items. Not "Sets of Items of One Particular Composition."

White Blade
2005-02-02, 03:40 PM
I think I'll telll the mods why we are giving them so much slack at least why I am.
This wasn't an orphan project, we liked it before the mods came in, we were all very intrested and considered making it unoffically before the mods announced they were making it offical. And while challenges are good, there is a point of too much, for instance I have no beef with the main rules, but I was going to make a actuall set of artiacts. They were banned from the thing on a post other than the main on.
In the spirt of good sportsmenship (and I don't want the mods to never use one o the non mod ideas again) I'll make a item set.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-02-02, 05:05 PM
Tools of the Battlemage (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11073782 10) is up.

White Blade
2005-02-02, 07:28 PM
Oriental Objects (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11073828 53;start=0#0) Is up and fufills requirements.

Scorpina
2005-02-03, 09:35 PM
Utilities for the Aspiring Vampire (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11074807 29) is up.

White Blade
2005-02-03, 10:43 PM
Come on guys, no point in boycotting it we need more entries. I even got over my coolest idea being ruled out..... (after I finished the mandatory five of course)

dbsousa
2005-02-03, 11:30 PM
I have posted [Magic Items] Al-Kithrim's Comforts of Home (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11074876 59) for your consideration.

It's getting late, I will do the creation cost math later...

Grey Watcher
2005-02-03, 11:34 PM
Come on guys, no point in boycotting it we need more entries. I even got over my coolest idea being ruled out..... (after I finished the mandatory five of course)

I'm not boycotting, I'm just stumped for ideas.

aerondor
2005-02-05, 01:20 AM
Accessories of the prepared trickster are now available for a gander.

Oh and also: Lady Felicity's Knightware

Cyclone231
2005-02-05, 08:37 PM
Items of Intellect (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11076500 55). I sure as hell hope that intelligent items is a valid theme.

Sucros
2005-02-07, 03:18 AM
Just jumping in late on the argument. I love the restrictions. They give me something for my ideas to grow around. You'll be seeing a set from me in a bit.

Baron
2005-02-07, 05:12 AM
Nice to hear! :)

Keep 'em coming peeps

Sucros
2005-02-08, 03:05 AM
As promised, equipment of the Darellan Elves is up. I'd love to hear any input, good or bad, as I'm still new to designing magic items.

Ax_Thunderblade
2005-02-10, 11:09 AM
I would like to participate in a contest like this, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to determine some of the info that folks include, such as caster level, the needed spells, price, cost, etc.

Is this all in the DMG somewhere and I've just missed it?

Any help for a n00b would be greatly appreciated.

Hydro
2005-02-10, 02:02 PM
Yes, it's in the back of the 3.0 dmg, right after the core magic items (and presumably somewhere similar in the 3.5 one).

Ax_Thunderblade
2005-02-10, 03:20 PM
Thanks Hydro, I will check it out.

DrSpoon
2005-02-10, 07:27 PM
im in a similar position to ax, this is my fist time at actually designing something so any fedback would be most welcome!

The Glyphstone
2005-02-11, 08:38 AM
I have just entered my "Weapons of The Fellowship".

And yes, it is referencing EXACTLY what you think it is. ;D ;D ;D ;D

When does this contest end?

SartriX
2005-02-11, 09:11 PM
Just made my first entry (and first post) as well: Gifts of Gelmir (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11081703 01)
It's a very bard-focussed set ... can't help it, I'm just a bard fan :D

Anyway.. same problem as the others I just notice. Having little clue how to properly calculate the costs and creation stuff. I can get halfway a little, but some of the DMG texts confuse me a bit.

Hydro
2005-02-12, 02:24 AM
Well, once I get my entry up I'll see if I can go around and give you guys all a hand.

Oh, and welcome to the forums dude! ^_^

SartriX
2005-02-12, 08:44 AM
Well, once I get my entry up I'll see if I can go around and give you guys all a hand.

Oh, and welcome to the forums dude! ^_^Thanks!

Tried figuring some itemcosts out today and explained how I got there. If there's anything wrong, just yell ;D

Grey Watcher
2005-02-13, 01:15 AM
Does the thematic link have to be apparent to the characters who might use these items? For example, I've got an idea rattling around in my head of basing my items off of items, ideas, metaphors, etc. from some operas by a particular composer. Does that qualify as a thematic link, or would the characters using these items have to be able to recognize them as a group of some kind?

SartriX
2005-02-13, 04:42 PM
Created a second entry just for laughs really ;D

Prankster's Mayhem (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11083073 75;start=0#0)

Baron
2005-02-15, 06:01 AM
Does the thematic link have to be apparent to the characters who might use these items? For example, I've got an idea rattling around in my head of basing my items off of items, ideas, metaphors, etc. from some operas by a particular composer. Does that qualify as a thematic link, or would the characters using these items have to be able to recognize them as a group of some kind?

Hmmm. I'll say yes that's OK. If you could get some in game rationale in though, it might make it easier for people to justify adding a set of items into their game.

Could you twist things slightly so that the metaphors etc were from an in game wizard/bard maybe?

If you can't, still go ahead, but ensure there is an obvious connection for the items please.

Ta

nows7
2005-02-15, 10:42 PM
After quickly glancing through the entries, it seems no one has stolen my idea... albeit they would have had to of stole it before i HAD the idea in the first place... But I digress.. Mwahahaha.

Question: We can post them and then continue to edit during the course of the month correct?

Also would a Bracer of armor like item be a Armor item or a wonderous item for this purpose? My guess would be Wonderous.... but I'd just like to be sure.

SartriX
2005-02-15, 10:52 PM
Uhuh..
7.) The contest begins today, 1st February. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, 28th February

... and bracers are indeed wondrous items.

nows7
2005-02-15, 10:58 PM
Hey, Thanks, Just double checking.... It's four in the morning, and I have to work in the morning... but i had a realy .... well It;s an idea that makes me intrested and want to stay up working on it

SartriX
2005-02-15, 11:01 PM
Same time here.. but I just got insomnia

ginseng
2005-02-19, 06:29 PM
Here is my entry. I hope it is sufficiently thematically, erh, themed.

The Inconsequential Items of Glass Glyphgold (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11088516 06)

Aran
2005-02-19, 09:39 PM
The thread for the Sentinel's Devices is now useless flotsam. Lock away, or whatnot.

Adghar
2005-02-20, 08:06 PM
The Dark Sorcery of an Enslaved Mind (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11089442 90) A little late, though.

Do we need to give the prices on all the items? Not everyone has.

Baron
2005-02-21, 07:40 AM
As we're moving towards the close of the competition, can people please do any tidying up of their entries please.

Put all the items into single post at the beginning of the thread, put the costs with each item, etc etc.

Just to make it easy for people to read them and judge them.

Thanks

Adghar
2005-02-21, 01:53 PM
So we do need cost? What if we're noobs who don't know how to figure cost?

We haven't started voting yet have we?

The Glyphstone
2005-02-21, 02:22 PM
It's not too hard to work out.

I think voting starts on the 28th.

Aran
2005-02-21, 07:02 PM
What if we're noobs who don't know how to figure cost?

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues) ya go. Enjoy. If you still have problems pricing, ask individually in the thread you've created for your items: I expect many of us will be more than happy to help you out.

Baron
2005-02-22, 05:24 AM
Putting costs, auras, etc lets a DM see your brilliant idea for an item and just drop it into their game easily.

No voting hasn't started yet, I was just asking for people to make their entries in preparation for the voting which starts on the 1st of March.

JumpingBean
2005-02-23, 05:16 PM
Items of Trekking (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11091914 85)
These are done. These are my fun items entry.

Also here are my Items of the Force (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11092597 14)
Just because there may be Star Wars fans who think Star Wars is superior to Star Trek. :P

Beelzebub1111
2005-02-25, 09:22 PM
here are my Items of the Door (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11093808 54) (sorry for the lame name but you will understand it once you read it)

Callahan
2005-02-28, 02:52 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11096166 30;start=0#0

My entry.

Cayzle
2005-02-28, 05:59 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11096278 29

An entry for your consideration, designed for the Arcane Tank: a mage who casts spells while wearing heavy armor.

White Blade
2005-02-28, 10:56 PM
heartless archer (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11088630 96)
Finished at last

Janitor
2005-03-02, 09:49 AM
Sigh, last night I just came up with my items only to discover the contest ended on the same day.

Oh, well, maybe next time

Pax
2005-04-07, 01:17 AM
Don't feel bad, I've got one good item description already laying around, and didn't even know about the contest until TODAY. My own fault, of course, for not looking in this forum before now ... ^_^