2008-12-21, 09:59 PM
Break a leg! ...

... What's RPG superstar?

kamikasei
2008-12-21, 10:01 PM
Good luck!

Grynning
2008-12-21, 10:02 PM
Is this the Paizo contest? or is it a different one?

And good luck!

adanedhel9
2008-12-21, 10:12 PM
Good luck! I hope you're at least as successful as I was last year.

Matthew
2008-12-21, 10:15 PM
Good luck! I am sure it will be well considered.

UserClone
2008-12-21, 10:17 PM
Are you not allowed to post it here, or...?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-21, 10:21 PM
Are you not allowed to post it here, or...?

Nope, I can't. And yes, it's the Paizo contest.

RTGoodman
2008-12-21, 10:33 PM
Good luck on that! I haven't really had time to do much homebrewing lately, and I know NOTHING about Pathfinder, so I decided not to enter this year.

It's still being run the same as last year, though, right? So couldn't you just send us the link to your post over there? Or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-21, 10:34 PM
Only the Top 32 are available for viewing, and that's after judging. So, no, I can't...unless I pass.

Which is, incidentally, what I'm hoping for.

Sufficient to say, my item made fun of iPods.

RTGoodman
2008-12-21, 10:46 PM
Only the Top 32 are available for viewing, and that's after judging. So, no, I can't...unless I pass.

Which is, incidentally, what I'm hoping for.

Ah, okay. Well, I'll certainly be cheering for you (and any other Playgrounders that enter). :smallbiggrin:

Egiam
2008-12-21, 10:59 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Paizo"

Fax Celestis
2008-12-21, 11:00 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Paizo"

www.paizo.com

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-21, 11:02 PM
NINJAS ARE EVERYWHERE! SOMETIMES THEY ARE EVEN LIKE UNTO TINY GITP DEITIES!

Anyway, yeah. They did Dragon and Dungeon for quite some time, and they did them with a significant surplus of awesome.

imperialspectre
2008-12-21, 11:03 PM
Best of luck. Particularly if this means Paizo could get a game designer who understands just a little bit more about balance and class design.

Paramour Pink
2008-12-21, 11:08 PM
Is there any way we can vote for you? It's obvious enough that you know what you're doing, when you do it. :smallsmile:

adanedhel9
2008-12-21, 11:10 PM

::Hopes Fax's item isn't the iBard (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/rpgSuperstar/rpgSuperstar2008/general/badItemStereotypes).::

Is there any way we can vote for you?

The public doesn't vote till Round 2. More info can be found here (http://paizo.com/rpgsuperstar).

Fax Celestis
2008-12-21, 11:34 PM
::Hopes Fax's item isn't the iBard (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/rpgSuperstar/rpgSuperstar2008/general/badItemStereotypes).::

Only if you look at it wonky.

It's a third eye. It gives some bonuses (ranged attacks and perception), and allows a once-a-day use of Inspire Courage (with greater versions providing a bigger bonus).

The idea is that third eyes of different kinds could be made later ("third eye of the druid" = wildshape 1/day or something).

Kroy
2008-12-21, 11:42 PM
As it has already been said, I'll just quote what I was going to say:

Best of luck. Particularly if this means Paizo could get a game designer who understands just a little bit more about balance and class design.

The playground supports you to the end, Fax.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 03:08 PM
The playground supports you to the end, Fax.

Always glad to hear it.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-23, 04:06 PM
Yeah we support you Fax! Just not your new avatar...my hair feels dirty just looking at that greasy haired summoner. :smallsmile:

TS

Vortling
2008-12-23, 04:08 PM
Just let us know when we can start voting for you :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2008-12-23, 06:18 PM
Good luck!

Ah, what the heck, I'll enter myself, too. I'm sure I can think of an item more practical than the Ring of DM Control...

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 12:59 PM
ARGH HOURS AWAY WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME WITH THE WAITING

*shakes nervously*

The Neoclassic
2009-01-20, 01:03 PM
*Prepares calming herbal tea for Fax.*

And you'll of course let us know when you find out the result? :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 01:08 PM
Well, I'll either come screaming in here going ZOMG I AM TEH WINZ, or you'll find me mopey for a few days while I kick myself in the shins, going, "Why didn't you go with the other item?"

MammonAzrael
2009-01-20, 01:11 PM
Good luck Fax!

I'm also waiting with my breath held (though if your submission doesn't make it through, there's no way mine would :smalltongue:)

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 01:23 PM
Good luck Fax!

I'm also waiting with my breath held (though if your submission doesn't make it through, there's no way mine would :smalltongue:)

I wouldn't say that so readily: items are not my forté.

Jimp
2009-01-20, 02:22 PM
Good luck Fax :smallsmile:.

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't say that so readily: items are not my forté.

Ah, come on - you're still our hero! I'm cheerin' for ya.

Anyone else in the Playground trying to be a Superstar this year? We'll cheer for you, too, if you tell us!

EDIT: Also, Fax, even if you aren't as confident about your item abilities, take a look at the next category. Seeing some of your character concepts in the past, I think you should be able to blow everyone out of the water with a Villain Concept!

Person_Man
2009-01-20, 02:53 PM
If there was voting, you'd know I'd vote for you. Best of luck Fax.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 03:07 PM
If there was voting, you'd know I'd vote for you. Best of luck Fax.

If I make it to next round, there's voting then. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2009-01-20, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, I wonder. If you win, do you think we could put in a petition to the mods to grant you a special title?

Superstar in the Playground!

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, I wonder. If you win, do you think we could put in a petition to the mods to grant you a special title?

Superstar in the Playground!

That would be epic.

Nohwl
2009-01-20, 03:43 PM
good luck.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 05:03 PM
*sigh*

Ah well, there's always next year.

EDIT: HOWEVER, OUR VERY OWN KURALD GALAIN MADE IT IN. Let's give the man a hand.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-20, 05:04 PM
And the winner is... Kurald Galain (http://paizo.com/rpgsuperstar/round1/witheringHourglass)! Good on yer!

But no Fax, unless he's using one of his myriad aliases. :smallfrown:

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 05:11 PM
But no Fax, unless he's using one of his myriad aliases. :smallfrown:

I am a Sad Panda™.

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 05:19 PM
Aww, sorry Fax. Like you said though, there's always next year. Also, do you really have TIME for a contest like that while you're busy re-doing all of D&D 3.x? :smallwink:

In other news, congrats Kurald! Do the Playground proud! Very cool item, by the way. Like the judges said, the Con damage thing can make it into a very cheap, powerful weapon, but with a little tweaking I think it's great.

kamikasei
2009-01-20, 05:27 PM
Condolences, Fax. Congratulations Kurald!

Keld Denar
2009-01-20, 05:32 PM
Yea, I saw that. Costs about 10,000 gold less than a +1 Wounding sword would, is a touch attack, and does 1d6, which means conceivably, you could kill a healthy man in 2-3 hits.

Granted, it doesn't do base weapon damage with things like PA or str bonus or whatever, but 0 con is dead regardless.

I wonder if you could duel wield these suckers? You'd get SA with them, I'd imagine, just like you can SA with an Enervation spell. All touch attack SAing...shudder.

MammonAzrael
2009-01-20, 05:34 PM
Congrats Kurald!

xanaphia
2009-01-20, 05:40 PM
Does Kurald get Superstar in the playground now?

Kurald Galain
2009-01-20, 05:40 PM
EDIT: HOWEVER, OUR VERY OWN KURALD GALAIN MADE IT IN. Let's give the man a hand.

I did? Wow! Yay!

Thanks for the response, playgrounders!

Matthew
2009-01-20, 06:28 PM
Hey, congratulations, Kurlad Galain!

..and commiserations, Fax Celestis.

Daracaex
2009-01-20, 07:04 PM
I am a Sad Panda™.

This might sound selfish, but…

Can we still see what you made? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 07:54 PM
This might sound selfish, but…

Can we still see what you made? :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I'll post it when I get home.

adanedhel9
2009-01-20, 08:43 PM
Congrats, Kurlad - I hope you have as much fun and learn as much as I did last year.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 09:06 PM
My (losing) item.

Third Eye of the Bard
Aura: moderate transmutation; CL 3rd, 8th, or 13th
Slot: Eyes; Price: 7,020 gp (+1), 19,980 gp (+2), or 40,140 gp (+3); Weight: --

Description
This opalescent orb is shaped like a human eyeball, except that the iris is shaped like a music note. When placed against the user’s forehead and a command word spoken, the eye fuses with the user and transmutes into a complete, functional eye. Speaking the command word a second time reverts the item to its original form.

The vision of a wearer of a Third Eye of the Bard improves: they gain a +1 competence bonus on ranged attack rolls and a +2 bonus on sight-related Perception checks due to their trinocular vision.

The true function of a Third Eye of the Bard, however, allows the bearer to use a bard’s Inspire Courage ability once per day, providing a +1, +2, or +3 bonus (as appropriate). A bard who uses this item instead adds the bonus to his existing Inspire Courage ability.

Construction
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have Inspire Courage ability one higher than the eye’s bonus; Cost 3,510 gp (+1), 9,990 gp (+2), 20,070 gp (+3).

RTGoodman
2009-01-20, 09:27 PM
Fax, I like the idea and the whole series would be a neat thing for you to write up (if you haven't already done so), but I think I know why you weren't selected. Reading some of the judge's comments about losing entries from last year (there was a whole thread about it on Paizo's forums), I can remember several things the judges were looking for.

First, they acknowledged that a LOT of entries were really good, and if they had been submissions for a new book of magic items, they would have made it in. HOWEVER, they weren't just making a book, they were looking for a SUPERSTAR - someone whose item was not only cool, but also innovative and unique.

Second, I think I remember them talking about not liking items that just gave someone the ability to use a spell or ability a couple of times a day. To them, those were just okay, not really "Superstar material" since anyone could do something like that.

Third, they didn't like expansions of old items. Your third eye wasn't a copy of anything else per se, but third eyes are a pretty well-known item and bonuses to Inspire Courage are almost a dime a dozen. They talked last year about receiving a TON of new figurines of wondrous power that, well, didn't really do anything new. The third eye of the bard isn't THAT bad, but it's the kind of thing I think they'd probably say is too similar to other stuff.

Again, like I said, I like the item, but knowing what the judges were and (more importantly) WEREN'T looking for, I can sort of tell how it didn't make it. I guess if you enter again next year, you've really just gotta go balls to the wall and do something that's never been seen before (but nothing TOO out there, since that's bad, too).

EDIT: Also, if you dig around on the Paizo forums, there might be a similar thread to the one from last year floating around already. Basically, people just posted their items again and Wolfgang Baur and the other judges told them why they didn't make it. It was a VERY interesting read that gave me a pretty good understanding of how some stuff made it and some didn't. They usually also told how each judge voted, so you can see how close you were to making it.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-20, 10:18 PM
Accurate statement is accurate.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought too. Well, that, and it could have been the thinly-veiled Third Eye of the Bard -> Eye-Bard -> iBard reference too. Still, I get to ask the actual reason tomorrow, so I'll be taking advantage of that.

mikeejimbo
2009-01-20, 10:22 PM
Aww. I always liked your homebrew. I didn't think you needed luck. :smallfrown:

afroakuma
2009-01-20, 10:25 PM
Aww, and I liked the iBard.

Figures the winner would be an Hourglass. *radiates excruciating disgust*

That said, big huge props to Kurald. Do us all proud!

adanedhel9
2009-01-20, 10:37 PM
Another factor that could have effected the judges:

Inspire Courage is the bard's iconic ability. The judges have frowned upon items that replicate iconic abilities, stating that such abilities should stay with their respective classes. By introducing this item, you make the bard a little less unique, which (especially in a strongly-classed game like D&D) could be considered a bad thing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-20, 11:09 PM
I see the Judge's point about the weapon-aspect. I'd probably say limit to 1 point of Con damage per round of constant contact, such as picking it up and holding it improperly. Simply touching it to an opponent shouldn't do any damage, unless they were somehow immobilized and forced into constant contact with it.

They also have a point about it being an unlimited use Chime of Opening. How about stating that it must be upright and freely resting on a stable surface for it's effect to activate. That eliminates most of the cheese factor.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-29, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the Hourglass wasn't intended to be used as a weapon. Upon further reflection, I'd say it needs to be in contact with something for three consecutive rounds before it starts (un)aging it; this rules out most combat application. Furthermore, it needs some kind of restriction on usage; rather than charges, I'd prefer con-draining its user after being overused (although I'm aware that effects exist that counter or protect against con draining, I'd have to check into how big a combo that is).

That said, second round is now up. My entry is admittedly a bit rushed, because the announcement that I passed round one came rather suddenly and during a busy period. Nevertheless, enjoy reading! :)

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-29, 11:48 AM
Erm, you might want to tell us what name you're registered under. Mr. Simoons. :smalltongue:

allonym
2009-01-29, 06:40 PM
I see the Judge's point about the weapon-aspect. I'd probably say limit to 1 point of Con damage per round of constant contact, such as picking it up and holding it improperly. Simply touching it to an opponent shouldn't do any damage, unless they were somehow immobilized and forced into constant contact with it.

They also have a point about it being an unlimited use Chime of Opening. How about stating that it must be upright and freely resting on a stable surface for it's effect to activate. That eliminates most of the cheese factor.

This is an awesome suggestion. I also have visions of some setpiece where the damsel in distress or whatever hostage is tied down, the hourglass set on her, and the players have to defeat the villain then turn the hourglass the other way to restore her, before her CON reaches 0 and she dies...