PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom hearts Re: Chain of memories

Jayngfet
2008-12-22, 04:17 AM
I was passing through Wal-Mart a couple of days ago and noticed.

Square managed to dub the 3D adaptation of chain of memories, right in time for the holidays.

Oregano
2008-12-22, 05:31 AM
I was passing through Wal-Mart a couple of days ago and noticed.

Square managed to dub the 3D adaptation of chain of memories, right in time for the holidays.

Yer I heard all about this, it's been out a couple of months in the states but I'm not sure about here in the UK. I don't know how worth it it'd be buying it though as whilst it was a decent game, there's much better games out there(including the two proper Kingdom Hearts).

Tirian
2008-12-22, 05:59 AM
It's only been out for a few weeks, actually.

I'm planning to get my own copy if Santa doesn't bring me one. I briefly played the GBA version and found the gameplay mildly tedious and grindtastic, but I think it would be worth it for the remastered cutscenes with the original voice actors and DVD-quality video.

And if not, then at least I'm sending the message to Squenix that there is money to be made in releasing the Final Mix/International version of their games in North America.

Oregano
2008-12-22, 06:04 AM
It's only been out for a few weeks, actually.

Really, then how early do Reviewers get games? or do they review them without playing them?:smallconfused: because I saw it reviewed months ago.

Pftt, Europe gets it worse than North America, although we did get the international version of FFX but that was only because by the time it was released here they'd already made the International Version.

Burley
2008-12-22, 10:19 AM
Oh, man. Just be fore-warned that I am of the understanding that Kingdom Hearts is the best series of video games, movies or geometric equations ever conceved. So, here's the skinny:

Yeah, it's a port of the GBA, but it is done in 3d. The graphics aren't as good as KH2, but they rival KH1 and excede it in some places.
The cut scenes are mostly word bubbles, since the original GBA version is actually very story driven, with battles being mostly just a way to get from point A to point B. The voice acting is nice when it happens, though. Sora's voice really surprised me, especially after only hearing the KH2 voice for the past year.
The story is good and, what most people don't realize, is canon. There is a year between KH1 and KH2. During that year, Sora spends some time in the Sleepy Egg, but can't remember why he's there or what he'd been doing. They kinda just... glance over it. Why? Because they made an entire game about it.
So, this is all that stuff between the KH1&2 that made you go "Huh?".

Some of the selling points are:
While battle has a very similar 3-hit-combo feel to KH1, there is a lot of strategy involved, due to the card-combat system. You are able to build your own deck, placing the cards you want where you want them, at least when you play as Sora. Riku's story is a bit different.
Remember towards the end of KH2, when you go into the room with what look like headstones for each of the Organization XIII members? And most of them are destroyed? Didn't you feel a little cheated? Well, it's cause you killed them already. So, now's your chance to experience that again, in english. (They let you do it in the KH2 japanese special do-hicky...)
Riku has a story line in the game. While Sora is trying to get from A to B, Riku is going from B to A. And, lemme tell you, playing as Riku is pretty BA. The draw back? You can't rearrange his deck. It is predetermined and changes in each world. This takes some strategy out, and increases the difficulty, but the Riku story line is more for story than anything (ie. embracing the darkness and junk), so it unclutters everything a bit.

I recommend the game for anybody who is a Kingdom Hearts fan. It'll never match up the the fun or intrigue of KH2, but it conjures a certain nostalgia of KH1 when you play, and has a unique system that can be very fulfilling when you catch on to it. So, pick it up and enjoy.

Enlong
2008-12-22, 12:35 PM
Coo'. So if they managed to dub Re: Chain of Memories, when can we expect of port of Final Mix+? Should'nt be too long right? considering it's already in English?
[/misguided hopeless optimism]

Oregano
2008-12-22, 12:52 PM
Coo'. So if they managed to dub Re: Chain of Memories, when can we expect of port of Final Mix+? Should'nt be too long right? considering it's already in English?

Yer, that's not happening. Although future releases may be remixed for the Western regions as well as Japan as Square Enix have repeatedly mentioned how they want to really get the western market(that was the point in The Last Remnant and FFXIII being on the 360 after all).

Jibar
2008-12-22, 01:26 PM

Yeah. Turns out that all the rumours about an English Final Mix+, was just about Re: Chain of Memories.
Which is a damn shame really.
Fortunately, all the stuff alluded to in Final Mix+ will be covered in the PSP and DS games, which will be getting an English release.
Now I just need a PSP.
(And some more friends. 'Cos God knows I'd kill to get the chance to play as Vexen)

Tirian
2008-12-22, 04:07 PM
Really, then how early do Reviewers get games? or do they review them without playing them?:smallconfused: because I saw it reviewed months ago.

Pftt, Europe gets it worse than North America, although we did get the international version of FFX but that was only because by the time it was released here they'd already made the International Version.

I can definitely swear that it went on sale the first week of December. One of our stores put out a holiday sales ad with a fuzzy picture of a PS2 box that definitely had the KH logo on it and was selling for $30 starting December 3 (or maybe 2?), and I had to violently shake my brother to Google what the heck that product was because I knew that all of the post KH2 games were not for the PS2 (*spit*) and far from completion.

As far as how it got in the hands of reviewers much earlier, that doesn't surprise me at all. As far as I know, the only difference between this and Final Mix+ would be English subtitles and a different region code. They could have made a handful of one-off discs eighteen months ago.

And I certainly didn't intend to get into a Queen For a Day contest over who is most abused by region-specific releases. Evidently, the Japanese feel that THEY're the real losers because they are forced to gamma test the original release. My point is just that I've never understood why we need enforced regionalization in the first place; I need to be convinced that the whole thing wasn't a sinister plot on Sony's part to combat global harmony. :smallwink:

Oregano
2008-12-22, 04:12 PM
Stupid reviewers.:smallannoyed:

Anyway that's just the European Gamer in me complaining about release dates, Square Enix is getting better though(The Last Remnant is evidence of that). I don't like Region locking either which is why I like portable games, sadly they're being region locked with the release of the DSi in the other regions.:smallfrown:

I abandoned Chain of Memories after a certain point, I was fighting an Organisation XIII person for the like the bizzillionth time and it got tiring, although being able to summon Cloud was awesome.

Burley
2008-12-23, 09:16 AM
*snip* although being able to summon Cloud was awesome.

It's pretty fun to do in KHRe:CoM, too. Using one card will get you one attack, stocking two will get you a three slice attack (I've used it to one-shot fat bandits), stocking three will get you Omni-slash, where he homes in on enemies and slices the ever loving crap outta them. It's cool.

They added a few new sleights as far as I can tell. Including some friend slights, like:
[]=card

[Goofy]+[Donald]+[Any Attack]= Wild Crusher. It summons Donald and Goofy. Goffy stands rigid, and Sora and Donald hold him like a battering ram, running around the stage for ~5 seconds hitting everything. It's fun to use.

Drascin
2008-12-23, 09:55 AM
Well, since I liked CoM, I will probably buy this when it comes out in Europe. A chance to stab Larxene and Vexen in the face again is always welcome.

Oregano
2008-12-23, 10:00 AM
Well, since I liked CoM, I will probably buy this when it comes out in Europe. A chance to stab Larxene and Vexen in the face again is always welcome.

I don't think it is.:smallfrown: I can't even find any evidence of a European release, no date or anything. I hope it gets released here though.:smallfrown:

Burley
2008-12-23, 10:17 AM
I don't think it is.:smallfrown: I can't even find any evidence of a European release, no date or anything. I hope it gets released here though.:smallfrown:

I somehow always forget that my Final Fantasy Fan-boy friends Oregano and Drascin are from European places unknown.
Yeah, you guys may be out of luck. Usually the UK release will fall withing a month (before or after) the US release. Since this game isn't even a true port, but a long demo... I dunno.
Also, this isn't a 'fixed' version of the Final Mix+ version. They translated it, and left most of the rest of the coding alone.

Drascin
2008-12-27, 08:41 AM
I somehow always forget that my Final Fantasy Fan-boy friends Oregano and Drascin are from European places unknown.
Yeah, you guys may be out of luck. Usually the UK release will fall withing a month (before or after) the US release. Since this game isn't even a true port, but a long demo... I dunno.
Also, this isn't a 'fixed' version of the Final Mix+ version. They translated it, and left most of the rest of the coding alone.

I wouldn't really classify myself as a Final Fantasy Fanboy. I have a lot of other things I fanboy much more about. Like Disgaea, for example :smalltongue:.

But, anyway, I just might end up being able to play this one. One uncle of mine is heading to the US for New Year, so I'll just ask him to bring me a copy (also one of Mushi, while he's at it, if he can find it, because it never seemed to be published in Spain at least). And then I'll just break out my good old Swap key and laugh at Sony's stupid region code policies :smallwink:.

Tirian
2009-01-06, 06:50 PM
So are people actually playing it? I have to give surprisingly high marks to it. The story and graphic quality certainly don't compare to the "real" games, but the gameplay actually requires some though as opposed to the continual button mashing of its brothers. I think I'll play Sora's story again.

Now I'm going through Riku's story. I have made this personally more entertaining. Whenever they say the word "darkness", I am substituting the word "bacon".

So you hate the bacon enough to fight it... Oh, the agony you must feel! Let me end your pain, Riku — end it forever with the wondrous power of bacon!

Takes some of the sting out of it.

Enlong
2009-01-06, 07:01 PM
So are people actually playing it? I have to give surprisingly high marks to it. The story and graphic quality certainly don't compare to the "real" games, but the gameplay actually requires some though as opposed to the continual button mashing of its brothers. I think I'll play Sora's story again.

Now I'm going through Riku's story. I have made this personally more entertaining. Whenever they say the word "darkness", I am substituting the word "bacon".

Takes some of the sting out of it.
For added fun, replace any use of the word "Light" with "cheese"

I know now, without a doubt. That Kingdom Hearts... is CHEESE!

Skippy
2009-01-09, 09:50 AM
I just bought this game. My inner KH fan shouted inside me but since this dumb town where I live has only one game store, then I hadn't been able to get it. I love it, it's even more awesome than the original CoM!