PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why I play MMOs

Setra
2008-12-22, 06:39 AM
I recently acquired FFT for the PSP, not an MMO I know. However playing it gave me a shock.

I recently got level 67 with Ramza, nothing special or anything.. then I realized something... I'm still in the first chapter. Actually... I haven't been to Dorter yet.

... It started out as a desire to obtain the Ninja and Calculator (Arithmatician) Classes... then to master it.. then I found out about the Dark Knight Class, and wanted to get that.. which is what I spent most of my time on really... it's hard to unlock.

Edit: Maybe I'll get to level 99 in the First Chapter and breeze through the game.
Edit Edit: If you don't get what I mean by why I like MMOs.. I'm grindhappy.

Bavarian itP
2008-12-22, 06:57 AM
Eh ... your point?
You play MMOs because you played one stupid-designed non-MMO?

Cubey
2008-12-22, 07:04 AM

You didn't play FFT, did you?

And his point is: he's a natural grinder. MMOs are better for that than single player games. Unless it's Final Fantasy XII. Zing!

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-22, 10:42 AM

And his point is: he's a natural grinder. MMOs are better for that than single player games. Unless it's Final Fantasy XII. Zing!

Heh..

It's funny because it's true! :smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2008-12-22, 10:45 AM
Just wait. Bwa ha ha. Finath River is gunning for you. Bwahaha!!!

Setra
2008-12-22, 04:35 PM
Eh ... your point?
I'll take an insult because doing that is pretty silly, however you really shouldn't insult the game. Just because I was grinding in it doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Actually by many it's considered one of the best Final Fantasy games.

Edit: Honestly leveling isn't too hard in this game since enemies level with you, though I just gave everyone Squire abilities as a secondary, save one with Martial Arts, have everyone stand around him, leave a single enemy alive, then use chakra and focus a ton til I'm ready for one of my characters to change jobs.

Ten Actions net you a level up.

Edit Edit: The saddest part is I'm most likely going to abandon two of my characters for Agrias and Cid so I'll likely be grinding them too.

Edit Edit Edit: (Hey better than multiple posts)

Final Fantasy XII... ugh.. I hated that game.. the second I found out how to autolevel my characters I left em doing so for a couple days til they hit 80 and breezed through the rest of the game. I beat up the Final Boss with my bare hands.

Castaras
2008-12-22, 05:37 PM
Exactly how I am. I'm a level-o-matic. I love to get the highest levels.

I play my MMO (Anarchy Online) to try get the ultimate level (220/30/70), and all the best gear I can, and do that with all 8 characters on one account.

Grind grind grind indeed...

Tom_Violence
2008-12-22, 05:56 PM
You know, I always suspected that that was what it was all about...

Tengu_temp
2008-12-23, 06:52 AM
May I suggest the Disgaea series? They are strategy RPGs like FFT, and while you don't need to farm experience much to defeat the final boss, most of the optional content (which is at least 33% of each game) requires truly epic grinding. And on top of that, these games are hilarious.

Disgaea 1 is for PS2 and DS, Disgaea 2 for PS2 and Disgaea 3 for PS3.

Hunter Noventa
2008-12-23, 06:56 AM
Disgaea 1 is also on the PSP, and has some "glitches" that make the grinding even easier.

Setra
2008-12-23, 06:56 AM
May I suggest the Disgaea series? They are strategy RPGs like FFT, and while you don't need to farm experience much to defeat the final boss, most of the optional content (which is at least 33% of each game) requires truly epic grinding. And on top of that, these games are hilarious.

Disgaea 1 is for PS2 and DS, Disgaea 2 for PS2 and Disgaea 3 for PS3.
I've beaten the first two, but lack a PS3 (I really want to play the third one).

My sister is getting me Disgaea for the PSP for Christmas, she got it like the 17th and won't give it to me til Christmas day x.x

Oregano
2008-12-23, 06:57 AM
Heh, if you want grind, just play Pokemon.

Nippon Ichi games are great fun though.

Setra
2008-12-23, 07:03 AM
Heh, if you want grind, just play Pokemon.

Nippon Ichi games are great fun though.
I got bored of Pokemon after getting a full team up to max level. I like grinding but I hated all the stat managing you had to do to remain competitive.

I love Disgaea but I dislike Phantom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics, I want to try their other games though, like Makai Kingdom and Atelier Iris.

Though my PS2 is currently out of commission.

Oregano
2008-12-23, 07:06 AM
Makai Kingdom's really good fun, it's not got too much in plot but the characters are fun and the freedom you get when creating your units is fantastic, as are the vehicles(Mech suits!!) and running through the overworld like a madman with a cape on is great.

EDIT: Awesome, Disgaea DS, Disgaea 3 and Rhapsody are being released in Europe through Square Enix, which means I'll actually be able to find copies(even though I haven't got a PS3:smallfrown:).

Indurain
2008-12-24, 02:00 AM
I would just like to state that FFT is the best RPG I've ever played...and will ever play.

That is all.

strawberryman
2008-12-24, 12:02 PM
May I suggest the Disgaea series? They are strategy RPGs like FFT, and while you don't need to farm experience much to defeat the final boss, most of the optional content (which is at least 33% of each game) requires truly epic grinding.

Yeah, you haven't grinded until you've grinded in a Disgaea game. >_>
Annoys me that Disgaea 3 is for the PS3, though, from what I've seen it could work on the PS2, just it would likely run slow in places.

If my PS2 can handle (just barely) Queen lagDette in Odin Sphere, it can handle freakin' Disgaea 3.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-24, 02:06 PM
I think N1 just had a contract to release at least one game for the PS3, so they did so with Disgaea 3.