PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Druid Build [3.5e]

kalt
2008-12-22, 09:32 AM
Hello all,

Well we had our first session, which was basically just character generation, and going on what my other group members made I decided to try my hand with a druid. We are going to be playing the Second Darkness campaign arc produced by Paizo and it sounds rather enjoyable. So what I would like is just some opinions of how my druid build shapes up and if you have played this particular campaign a little bit of insight would be helpful.

Build: Druid 20
Race: Strongheart Halfling

Stats:(72 points)

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 10

Feats:
1 Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning
3 Fel Weaken
6 Natural Spell
9 Fel Drain
12 Extend Spell
15 Quicken Spell
18 Open at the moment

Feat wise I'm going to just kinda play by ear once I get past 12. I figure an extend is always nice for buffs and well quicken I think is fairly useful as well. The fel weaken and fel drain I have already received permission to take and I figure when you stack them it is just going to be nasty.

The party is made up of myeself, a duskblade, a dread necromancer (bleh), and a factotum.

tarbrush
2008-12-22, 10:39 AM
Natural Spell - check
Wisdom > Con > Everything else - Check
Sensible race - Check

I might take Greenbound Summoning over one of the fell metamagics, but that's personal taste. You're basically going to drive your foes before you and reave a furrow of destruction throughout the land anyway, so have fun with that.

Remember to write up some stat cards of things you expect to summon and of your own common wildshape stats. And try not to overshadow your buddies too much.

Oh and try and whack power attack in there somewhere if you happen to level up while you're wildshaped. Because castle walls don't break themselves y'know.

Eloel
2008-12-22, 10:41 AM
For a Druid 20 (if you're starting there it is), go for as high mental scores as possible.
A starter of 6 6 6 18 18 18 should be good. That is before the racial adjustment, and all (or most) age categories. You will spend most of the day wildshaped, where you use the animal's body stats with your mental stats.
Also, a druid mostly doesn't need/use many metamagic feats. Get things to improve wildshape.

(If anything seems harshly told, I didn't mean it, just trying to help)
PS: Above is a suggestion on my part, as I love Wildshape. If you want to play the summoner, ignore me.

kalt
2008-12-22, 10:46 AM
ya that is what I am afraid of as well. I figure the duskblade if played properly should be pretty competitve as will the factotum. The dread necromancer is basically just hosed since his class is garbage. On top of that per the second darkness adventure path we get 2 traits. One I took was called into enemy territory which granted me a +1 saving throw on the save of my choice as a trait bonus. I figured I would choose reflex since that is my weakest save. The second trait I chose is "reactionary", which grants +2 to your initiative. In terms of greenbound I am considering but the DM may bitch about it being from such an obscure splat book.

I guess for assumed books I want to say: Core, completes, UA, LM, HoH, SC, MIC, and then DM approval.

Ohh and no to the 6,6,6,18,18,18 especially considering you would never want a con of 6.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-22, 10:47 AM
Take the feat Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer at 3, then at level 4 get one of the Level -3 animal companions. Natural Bond's +3 will negate the -3 drawback for having a more powerful companion, so you'll get to count your entire Druid level for what bonuses it gets. Fleshraker dinosaur from MM3 is the best companion to get, or a Dire Eagle from Races of Stone is a close second. Either could serve as a mount for a small size character.

kalt
2008-12-22, 10:51 AM
ohh I like that idea. Ohh and yes I wil get to do the dinosaur thing I already got that approved. I figure I'll go from Swindlespitter into Fleshraker. So here will be the revised.

Build: Druid 20
Race: Strongheart Halfling

Stats:(72 points)

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 10

Feats:
1 Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning
3 Natural Bond
6 Natural Spell
9 Fel Weaken
12 Fel Drain
15 Extend Spell
18 Quicken Spell

Eldariel
2008-12-22, 11:29 AM
You already have Augment Summoning so I'd pick another Summoning-booster (as you'll be making use of them); Rashemi Elemental Summoning kicks major ass later on, while Greenbound is superior on the lower levels. Ashbound is also a fine summon feat.

And yea, you definitely want Extend Spell, if only to Extend Owl's Insight.

kalt
2008-12-22, 01:10 PM
Hmm I dunno if I should do that at the expense of my other feats or not. The fel feats when you combine them with decomposition are just amazing. I guess I could probably replace quicken with rashemi elemental summoning but UE isn't in our general list of splatbooks so I would have to get that one approved and I have a feeling by then my DM will have already witnessed the sillyness that is druid.

Draz74
2008-12-22, 01:14 PM
Dread Necromancer isn't really garbage. I wouldn't worry too much about him -- power-wise, that is. I'd worry more about how slow your combats are going to run if you are fighting with summoned beasties and he's fighting with an undead army. Combat is slow when the PC's side has, like, 10+ characters in it.

kalt
2008-12-22, 01:16 PM
ya our dm was already crying about that a little bit. I was trying to talk someone into playing a malconvoker as well just to add on to the hell that will be his life.

Keld Denar
2008-12-22, 01:19 PM
Fel Draining + Produce Flame = lots of negative levels for very little effort.

Just don't kill anyone with the actual level drain. Raising an army of wights is probably frowned upon by most druidic ethics commities.

kalt
2008-12-22, 01:54 PM
that is pretty much how I looked at it as well. Those set of two feats just look ridiculously good even each as a standalone. When you stack them it just gets nuts.