PDA

View Full Version : HoOA and creatures with multiple heads

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 09:35 AM
If a creature with multiple heads (ettin, hydra, Tiamat, etc) has a helm of opposite alignment forced on one head and fails its save, are all heads affected, or just the one?

Krrth
2008-12-22, 09:38 AM
If a creature with multiple heads (ettin, hydra, Tiamat, etc) has a helm of opposite alignment forced on one head and fails its save, are all heads affected, or just the one?
Well, Tiamat would be unaffected. I don't think the hydra is smart enough to have an alignment other than neutral, but unless each head has it's own personality, it should affect the whole creature.

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 09:48 AM
Well, Tiamat would be unaffected. I don't think the hydra is smart enough to have an alignment other than neutral, but unless each head has it's own personality, it should affect the whole creature.

Don't HoOA affect outsiders? Or is Tiamat immune due to Divine Rank stuff?

The Tiamat part is currently a hypothetical question anyways.

Xefas
2008-12-22, 09:51 AM
Demogorgon would bust a horrible tentacled half-baboon half-scaly-cat nut if you threw a Helm on one of his heads and he rolled a 1 (just gotta keep trying). The Abyss might just implode.

Krrth
2008-12-22, 09:54 AM
Divine rank. Since Tiamat is a God, you can't change her alignment.
As for the others, as long as it's smart enough to have an alignment, and each head doesn't have a different personality, you're good to go.

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 09:59 AM
Demogorgon would bust a horrible tentacled half-baboon half-scaly-cat nut if you threw a Helm on one of his heads and he rolled a 1 (just gotta keep trying). The Abyss might just implode.

*spews like he triggered a MoJ*
So, would it affect one head or both? What about an aspect of Tiamat?

Bluelantern
2008-12-22, 10:08 AM
I am curious more about the potential fights that this would cause. Comic gold I tell you!

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 10:14 AM
I am curious more about the potential fights that this would cause. Comic gold I tell you!

I know. Imagine the laughs if some of Tiamat's heads turned good!

Krrth
2008-12-22, 10:17 AM
I know. Imagine the laughs if some of Tiamat's heads turned good!

They can't.

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 10:21 AM
They can't.

Rule 0. All I need to do is talk my DM into it.

Krrth
2008-12-22, 10:24 AM
Rule 0. All I need to do is talk my DM into it.

Yes, but using rule 0 on in discussions like these is usually frowned upon. By RAW, you can't.

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 10:29 AM
Yes, but using rule 0 on in discussions like these is usually frowned upon. By RAW, you can't.

Fine, how about rule of funny? A HoOA supercharged by Hlal herself.

Krrth
2008-12-22, 10:32 AM
Fine, how about rule of funny? A HoOA supercharged by Hlal herself.
Still the same principle. Since RAW is the closest thing that everyone has as a base, that's what is used.

Douglas
2008-12-22, 10:37 AM
The "supercharging" would have to boost the save DC quite a bit, too. Gods don't automatically fail saves on natural 1s, and no god's will save is below the pathetic (at that power level) save DC of a HoOA.

Krrth
2008-12-22, 10:42 AM
The "supercharging" would have to boost the save DC quite a bit, too. Gods don't automatically fail saves on natural 1s, and no god's will save is below the pathetic (at that power level) save DC of a HoOA.

Even then, it doesn't matter. From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#immunities):

Mind-Affecting Effects

A deity is immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 10:45 AM

Hlal, Olidamarra, Aasterinian, Garl Glittergold and Fharlanghan all chip in then. :p

kjones
2008-12-22, 11:06 AM
If somebody managed to slip a Helm of Opposite Alignment onto one of the heads of Tiamat, I would rule that it would be effective, solely for the lulz that would inevitably ensue.

Kris Strife
2008-12-22, 11:20 AM
If somebody managed to slip a Helm of Opposite Alignment onto one of the heads of Tiamat, I would rule that it would be effective, solely for the lulz that would inevitably ensue.

Just one head or all five?

TheCountAlucard
2008-12-22, 12:10 PM
Just one head or all five?

JUST one head. Otherwise, it's not as LULZ-inducing. :smalltongue: