PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil - Blocking Effects in all directions?

Will_Shakespear
2008-12-22, 01:35 PM
Hi there,

i have a question for you, that is debated in our group right now.

How do the veils made by the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil work? Do they block all things that try to penetrate from the outside? Or do they block all the things that can be done from the inside as well?

E.g.: An initiate has the indigo veil activated as an area effect. Do you guys think that this veil would block all spells and spell-like abilities, no matter if they're coming from the outside or inside (i.e. cast by the initiate himself)? I remember Richard Baker saying once that the initiate has been designed to be functioning 100% while her veils are active. So an initiate protected by the indigo veil would be immune to all spells and spell-like abilities, but she would be able to cast her own spells through her own protective warding.
I'd appreciate any kind of input / opinions.

Cheerio

Will

The Glyphstone
2008-12-22, 01:43 PM
I've always ruled that the warding is effective in both directions, since the only given exception is for moving through the warding in a specific direction. The class would be even more broken if ruled in the other direction.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-22, 01:51 PM
"This veil prevents the passage of all spells or spell-like abilities." The caster could fire arrows from within unhindered, he could attack with a reach weapon, but his own spells would be blocked by the Indigo Veil.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-12-22, 02:24 PM
The veils mimic a single effect of a prismatic wall or sphere. Both spells do not hinder the caster in any way.

Douglas
2008-12-22, 02:28 PM
The veils mimic a single effect of a prismatic wall or sphere. Both spells do not hinder the caster in any way.
Incorrect. A Prismatic Sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prismaticSphere.htm) does not harm the caster even if he goes directly through it, but it makes no distinction about direction or caster concerning what it blocks.