PDA

View Full Version : What Hath Science Wrought?! (Sorceror, DMM Persist, and Sacred Exorcist)

Fax Celestis
2008-12-22, 03:09 PM
Was looking at Sacred Exorcist today and thinking about what it could be used for. Yes, yes, I know the typicals: use the turning to qualify for things like Radiant Servant.

But then I thought: clerics do the DMM: Persist schtick. Why can't a sorceror? They've got a healthy Charisma score to start with, for starters. What I'm at a loss for, frankly, is good arcane spells that are persistable. Right now, I'm thinking cloud of knives and ring of blades, for that whole "I'm telekinetic and fling pieces of metal every which way" theme, but there are likely other (amazing) spells that this can be done to, particularly for a more martially-oriented character (perhaps even Battle Sorceror would be worthwhile here). Bite of the Were-X, certainly, would be helpful. What other recommendations do you have?

Human Paragon 3
2008-12-22, 03:15 PM
You could persist displacement and be constantly concealed while still being able to interact as normal. Just safer.

Spell Turning might be good, or Iron Body if you can cast 8th level spells. Obviously, the aforementioned Bite-of-the spells would be nice.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-22, 03:16 PM
Well, firstly, you'll need to do something about that little catch in Divine Metamagic that it only works on Divine Spells. Southern Magician, maybe.

As for things to Persist? Time Stop (if you can convince your DM that Time Stop is not instantaneous - 24 hours to refresh your spells with a single standard action), Shapechange, and... umm... maybe that spell from the XPH that turns you your familiar into a psionic powerhouse.

imperialspectre
2008-12-22, 03:17 PM
Are you grabbing that feat from Forgotten Realms that lets you cast arcane spells as divine spells? The DMM feat description does specify divine spells in the fluff.

Edit: Ninjas. Why can't they just fall over and die like all the other non-full casters? :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-12-22, 03:18 PM
Does Sacred Exorcist turn your spells into divine spells? If not, I don't think it works, since the errata for DMM says it only works for your DIVINE spells.

EDIT: Ninja'd, of course, but your build still works since you can just use Southern Magician, as they^ say. I can't think of any spells off the top of my head, except maybe shapechange (especially if you're going for a gishy feel). Spell Compendium probably has the best options.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-22, 05:41 PM
Actually, I could Cleric dip and then take Alternative Source Spell. That'd work, right?

ChaosDefender24
2008-12-22, 05:47 PM
wraithstrike

Jack_Simth
2008-12-22, 05:56 PM
Edit: Ninjas. Why can't they just fall over and die like all the other non-full casters? :smalltongue:
Gestalt Druid//Ninja. Goes ethereal, uses a Coup De Grace on the target from the ethereal plane.

wraithstrike
As it's only a second level spell, you can technically persist that normally.

tonberrian
2008-12-22, 06:01 PM
I find the image of Persisted Animate Breath amusing, though impractical.

Toliudar
2008-12-22, 06:07 PM
Many fun persistable arcane spells, if you can jump through the hoops to get them. Greater invisibility, Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Arcane Sight. Even the Hand spells could be fun - spend the day being followed around by a huge, brutish mitt.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-22, 06:30 PM
Many fun persistable arcane spells, if you can jump through the hoops to get them. Greater invisibility, Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Arcane Sight. Even the Hand spells could be fun - spend the day being followed around by a huge, brutish mitt.
Unfortunately, Persistent Spell requires that the base spell be "personal or fixed" in range. Greater Invisibility is a Touch spell - it's debatable whether or not it works. Ethereal Jaunt works, and Greater Arcane Sight works, but the Hand spells are unfortunately Medium range (which is variable on caster level).

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-22, 06:39 PM
Arcane Reach (or the Reach Spell Metamagic Feat) gives any touch spell a fixed range, perfectly usable for all your Persisting needs.

However, why bother when you can Incantatrix Persist-for-free it?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-22, 06:56 PM
Eagle's Splendor, True Seeing, Prismatic Sphere (if you can find a way to move it around).

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-12-23, 02:09 AM
Repulsion. My favorite mid-level ward that prevents mobs from, well, mobbing you.

Darrin
2008-12-23, 10:02 AM
Actually, I could Cleric dip and then take Alternative Source Spell. That'd work, right?

Yes, I believe so. And if you make it a kobold, you can get that caster level back with Draconic Rite of Passage/Draconic Reservoir. You'll want to take the Undeath domain for Extra Turning and Planning for Extend Spell.

As far as which sorcerer spells to persist... hrrm... is Emperor Tippy's Cindy build online somewhere? I can't find it. So, uh... the traditionals: freedom of movement, greater invisibility, fly (swift version), stoneskin, globe of invulnerability.

What else... daggerspell stance (SR 5 + CL), heroics (Martial Study: Shadow Stride/Blink), wraithstrike, ruin delver's fortune, spell enhancer...

Oh, here we go: scimitar of sand (Sandstorm). Flameblade for sorcerers, only damage is untyped. Cast multiple times or however many spell slots you have open, and you can have an army of scimitars follow you around all day.