PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Single Player for an Urban Adventure in Sharn: Tips?

Random NPC
2008-12-22, 03:17 PM
I'm going to run a little adventure for a single PC and I'm looking for some tips on how to run this.

The game is going to be run in the Eberron city of Sharn and I want to start at level 1. As for books, I think only DMG, PHB, MM, Eberron CS, Cityscape and Sharn are needed, but if you got a recommendation, feel free to introduce it.

The game itself is obviously not a lot of combat and more puzzle, diplomacy and stealth involved. Any way to help this part? Add a puzzle or perhaps give me a link?

Any help is much welcomed since this is my first time DMing this type of campaigns

UserClone
2008-12-22, 03:59 PM
Well, I think a lot of it depends upon your PC's choice of race/class, more importantly class. Since it's class that limits your abilities, that determines the type of adventures your player would be having, IMO. I recommend the Factotum (for the obvious reason of flexibility), Rogue, Beguiler, Urban Ranger UA variant, or, an interesting different choice, the Urban Druid from DragonComp. Will you know beforehand what your PC will have for a class, and, hopefully, race?

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-22, 04:12 PM
This. A bugbear assassin (with a Heart of Gold!) has some great roleplaying opportunities that aren't available to your average Jho d'Cannith, and quite possibly vice versa.

Random NPC
2008-12-22, 05:12 PM
Since I stated the specifics of the campaign, I'm guessing she will pick some scoundrel skill-monkey. For races, I have no idea, more than likely a humanoid.

AslanCross
2008-12-22, 06:21 PM
Might help if you give her a contact who can cover the skills she doesn't have. (Especially the highly situational skills) An expert or magewright would be helpful.

hotel_papa
2008-12-22, 07:41 PM
For a single PC game, consider going gestalt. Two classes worth of niche will help when stealth rolls go bad. Also, I second the Urban Druid (//Factotum for extra awesome sauce), especially as a Warforged because they get repair damage spells and animated object companion options.

Also, the adventure in the back of the Eberron campaign setting book takes place in Sharn, features House Cannith, who illegaly makes warforged still, the Lord of Blades, who is a warforged and only uses them as agents, and is continued in three more pre-gen adventures that do a pretty fair job of balancing combat and intrigue. (If I could find them, I would tell you their names)