PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about true 20?

late for dinner
2008-12-22, 04:41 PM
(I dont know if there is a post about this yet, so I thought I would make one anyways) I got the true 20 book a while ago and have yet to really play it. It seems really cool and I like the game settings that it gives you...especially the time manipulating one...I was wondering if any of you have played it. If so, how did you like it? I like the 1 die concept and the fact that it is universal and you get what you make of it and you can use any setting you want with it. The only somewhat confusing thing is how the book is written. It seems to not explain somethings, like power level and combat clearly. Well?

Raum
2008-12-22, 04:51 PM
In many ways True20 maintains d20 ideas and mechanisms while adding a layer of abstraction. So if you like d20 and don't mind abstractions you'll probably like True20.

One thing it does change is the 'grittiness' of combat. It's easier to die, even in situations where you wouldn't think the opponents provide much threat.

UserClone
2008-12-22, 04:53 PM
I own True20, True20 Companion, True 20 Bestiary, and True 20 DM screen, and also Blue Rose, Blue Rose Companion, and World of Aldea. (And yes, the two are different enough to justify the expense, because BR has a very different set of flavor, and the magic is somewhat different, for just two differences.)I love the concept, and I am waiting on True Sorcery in the mail. I really like the magic system in True 20, the fatiguing, the health system (which is something more akin to White Wolf than HP), and I wish I could play it or run it, but it's difficult to get my group to run games other than D&D 2E, 3.5 or 4E. We JUST finally got started a month or two ago on Werewolf: The Apocalypse, even though some members of our crew have been with us for over two years. :smallyuk: It's to the point where I am looking to start a new group just to find people willing to try new games.:smallsigh:

I'd love to play in an online game of it if you want to run one, though.:smallwink:

Edit @ Raum: The Conviction points go a pretty long way towards keeping you alive, though.

late for dinner
2008-12-22, 04:57 PM
If I owned my own computer (this is my work pc) I would totally be up for running a game...oh and if I knew how to run an online game...:smallsmile:

Raum
2008-12-22, 05:12 PM
I'd love to play in an online game of it if you want to run one, though.:smallwink:If you have Fantasy Grounds 2, I've been running a True 20 'modern supernatural' game since August. :)

Edit @ Raum: The Conviction points go a pretty long way towards keeping you alive, though.Not as much as you may think. Partially because they don't refresh very quickly - you only gain one back per 'in game' day.

The game I referred to above doesn't actually have much combat (2 or 3 in 13 sessions) yet one character has died. Mostly my fault, I expected different tactics and the players chose to start shooting instead. (Never make encounters based on players reacting in a specific way! :smallredface:) Point is simply that combat in True 20 is deadlier than in most D&D games. Not a bad thing, players learn characters are fragile and react accordingly.

UserClone
2008-12-22, 05:47 PM
True, I think PCs are a good deal heartier in Blue Rose (the predecessor to True20 - and M&M, IIRC). I unfortunately only have FG1, the DM client. What does it cost to upgrade? I also have Ventrilo and Gametable.

Kiero
2008-12-22, 05:52 PM
There's lots that compares pretty favourably to 3.x in True 20. However I do think Saga Edition is neater and simpler, even with all the business of the Force. I'm not a fan of the damage save, to be honest, adds yet more rolls to combat.

UserClone
2008-12-22, 06:02 PM
True, but really, it's the same as rolling for damage in D20, or SAGA for that matter. The only difference is that there is an effect or three in between full fighting capacity and fully hosed.

Raum
2008-12-22, 06:19 PM
True, I think PCs are a good deal heartier in Blue Rose (the predecessor to True20 - and M&M, IIRC). I unfortunately only have FG1, the DM client. What does it cost to upgrade? I also have Ventrilo and Gametable.Their site is here (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/). Not sure what an upgrade costs or even if they offer one. The current version costs about $24 (client only) or $40 (full version).

-----
In some ways I agree with Kiero - I'm not a big fan of the damage save. The damage save gets cumbersome when you have to track multiple types of wounds separately. However, I like it better than hit points, largely because I dislike the whole increasing health with experience cycle. I prefer systems with a damage track (Shadowrun or Savage Worlds) over either.

Egiam
2008-12-23, 11:52 AM
I'm considering purchasing true20, would you please private message me the link when it starts?

Kiero
2008-12-23, 12:21 PM
True, but really, it's the same as rolling for damage in D20, or SAGA for that matter. The only difference is that there is an effect or three in between full fighting capacity and fully hosed.

There is in Saga too, if your Threshold is blown. Indeed you can be taken out without even losing all your hit points.