PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] Help me talk the DM into it

SydneyLosstarot
2008-12-23, 01:24 AM
The thing is, i've come across some SWSE rulebooks recently and decided that i absolutely must have a go at it.

I've even found a man who's willing to DM the game, prepare an adventure, etc.
The trick is, he's fairly ignorant of Star Wars: he's no big fan, he's watched the movies once.
I also want him to run an Old Republic campaign, and he didn't like the KotOR game at all.

Now the question is: are there any adequate soures of information on Old Republic Era, so the guy could get the feel of the setting?
Or maybe i should convince him to play KotOR a little longer than 10 minutes?

Malacode
2008-12-23, 01:32 AM
Wookiepedia has everything you could never want to know about the StarWars universe, unfortunately including stuff from the latest three movies (With such gems as: "Grr! Padme die! DARTH SMASH!!!!"). That includes things from the old repuplic era

Ascension
2008-12-23, 01:53 AM
My advice is to look for another GM. It may be difficult, but it'd be better than proceeding with a GM who dislikes the setting you desire to play in. Your current arrangement probably won't be enjoyable for either of you. I wouldn't ask this guy to GM a KotOR game any more than I'd ask the poster above me to GM a prequel-era game.

Grail
2008-12-23, 02:00 AM
The thing is, i've come across some SWSE rulebooks recently and decided that i absolutely must have a go at it.

I've even found a man who's willing to DM the game, prepare an adventure, etc.
The trick is, he's fairly ignorant of Star Wars: he's no big fan, he's watched the movies once.
I also want him to run an Old Republic campaign, and he didn't like the KotOR game at all.

Why don't you run it?

Kris Strife
2008-12-23, 02:12 AM
Why don't you run it?

He might not feel comfortable DMing, or he may prefer being a player. DMing is not for everyone.

TheCountAlucard
2008-12-23, 03:18 AM
Wookiepedia has everything you could never want to know about the StarWars universe...

I think this is the best description of Wookieepedia that I've ever heard.

Grail
2008-12-23, 03:36 AM
He might not feel comfortable DMing, or he may prefer being a player. DMing is not for everyone.

DM'ing is for everyone. It's just comments like this that propagate the myth that it's not.

Don't put strictures on what the game will be if you're not prepared to get behind the screen. DM's should be free to run a game that they feel comfortable running, without players trying to force them in one direction. If a player feels strongly about the kind of game they want should run it themselves.

I'm a long-term DM, and it's because I will run the games that I want to run. I won't try to force another person to run a game that I want, and I get annoyed if a player tries to force me into a game that I don't want to DM because that's selfish.

Kris Strife
2008-12-23, 03:43 AM
Did I say not every one can DM? I said its not for everyone. Some people just won't enjoy it, so its not something they should do.

Kiero
2008-12-23, 03:52 AM
My advice is to look for another GM. It may be difficult, but it'd be better than proceeding with a GM who dislikes the setting you desire to play in. Your current arrangement probably won't be enjoyable for either of you. I wouldn't ask this guy to GM a KotOR game any more than I'd ask the poster above me to GM a prequel-era game.

This. All the red flags are there, he's not keen on the idea, and doesn't even know or like the setting. That's a recipe for a really disappointing Star Wars game.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-12-23, 05:28 AM
I'm currently running a d20 Modern game.
It's pretty awesome, but i'd better play for a change.
I've almost forgotten how it feels to get on the other side of the screen)

Still, finding another DM may be tricky, most of my roleplaying company don't have the patience to prepare a single session, let alone a whole adventure.
Toooo baaaad =\ *getting all emo*

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-12-23, 03:32 PM
From my experience forcing a DM to run something is the worst thing you can do for a game. If the GM is uncomfortable running, your better off dusting off a board/ccg/card game and just talking about it, while doing something fun.

Otherwise your next post may be explaining the worst session you ever had, and complaining about how the GM ruined it, and how you'll never like X setting again.

If you feel that strongly about wanting to play a specific game, I suggest running it yourself. If your not willing to go through the effort, why should someone else. Otherwise keep looking, don't force someone to GM a game they don't/won't like.