PDA

View Full Version : Comedians

Verruckt
2008-12-23, 09:44 AM
So Playground, the premise here is simple: Who are you favorite Comedians and why?

valadil
2008-12-23, 09:51 AM
Patton Oswalt. His material is quirky and intelligent without leaving the mainstream. What I especially enjoy about him is that I can't see where he's going with a joke. I can predict most standup on Comedy Central, even The Daily Show, but not Patton.

Others that I enjoy include: Dave Attel, Jim Gaffigan, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Dave Chappelle.

Can't stand: Dane Cook. I hated him before it was cool to hate him.

Linkavitch
2008-12-23, 09:51 AM
Jeff Dunham is amazing. 'Nuff said.

Z-dan
2008-12-23, 11:24 AM
Bill Bailey is a lifetime in his own legend. Not only does he have the most bizarre surrealist sense of humour, but he has the best musical ability ever- of particular note are his segments on how cockney music influenced the great composers, his ballad that involves a 'teardrop on the face of a lonely deer... that turns to pus and the deer stumbles into the deep ravine of your lies', and of course Insect Nation.
Other great comedians include Russel Howard, an up and coming British comedian, and the legend that is Billy Connely.
Most annoying comedians ever: Jo Brand who only ever tells the same 2 jokes, and Joan Rivers who is just plain annoying.
ooooh! and Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson, famous for being 'the Young Ones' and the main characters in Bottom.

bosssmiley
2008-12-23, 11:45 AM
Bill Bailey
Bill Hicks
Billy Connolly
Harry Bill Hill... :smallconfused:
Ahmed Dja(bill)llili-li-lili-llilili
Bill Al Murray "ACK! NEVAR CONFUSED!"

Shosuro Ishii
2008-12-23, 11:53 AM
Lewis Black ,circa 2000, before his act became a long winded rant about his political views, in leau of actual jokes.

Mr._Blinky
2008-12-23, 12:41 PM
Dave Chappelle and Mitch Hedburg, easily. Too bad Mitch is, you know, dead.:smallfrown:

hanzo66
2008-12-23, 01:40 PM
I've always fancied Pablo Francisco. The guy does have quite an impressive vocal range, even if he prefers using Don LaFontaine the most.

Stephen Lynch has always been a favorite of mine. He is the model of a Chaotic Evil Bard and can make songs about mocking "specials", killing grandparents and/or forced abortion hilarious with the voice of an angel.

Nevitan
2008-12-23, 01:55 PM
Dimitri Martin.
his jokes are thinkers, at least for me anyway.

Poison_Fish
2008-12-23, 02:49 PM
David Cross. Just crass enough and just current enough to keep me entertained.

Ms.Malbolge
2008-12-23, 10:01 PM
Eddie Izzard: The Executive Transvestite! :smallbiggrin:

I second Jeff Dunham. He really is amazing.

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-24, 12:11 AM
Currently my personal favorite comedian is Bobcat Goldthwait, not merely because of the novelty of his voice, oh no. Observe the lengths this man goes to to entertain you! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmaYIoMv2A4)

As an afterthought this video reminds me that I'm also highly fond of Pen and Teller, horrible people that they are.

T-O-E
2008-12-24, 12:14 AM
Edward Blake.

Think it's pretty obvious.

kpenguin
2008-12-24, 12:15 AM
Edward Blake.

Think it's pretty obvious.

Jack Napier is pretty good too.:smallwink:

SilentNight
2008-12-24, 12:23 AM
I like Jeff Dunham, Eddie Izzard, Lewis Black and most of all, the late, great George Carlin.

Verruckt
2008-12-24, 02:05 AM
Penn and Teller are excellent, if not as comedians then as Hilarious Mystical Libertarian Wizards of Joyous Skepticism and Illusion.

Eddie Izzard is so funny that he'll get you rolling to jokes in French, German and English all at once.

Billy Connolly is simply one of the best comedians ever, and he can act and play a banjo to boot.

Raistlin1040
2008-12-24, 03:29 AM
Eddie Izzard, without a doubt.

Lyesmith
2008-12-24, 04:56 AM
Yay, Izzard!:smallbiggrin:
I see Bill Bailey has been mentioned - for those interested, his Tinselworm tour was brilliant, I saw it at wembley.
Ross Noble is very good, no two of his gigs are the same and he's spectacularly funny.
Dylan Moran is also excellent.
Disagreeing with Z-dan, i think Jo Brand is very funny. And I can't stand rik and abe.
Also, Bill Hicks was a great, and Billy conolly, whilst still good, is not as good as perhaps he once was.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-12-24, 07:18 AM
Sad that two of my favourite comedians are dead.

Bill Hicks - A philospher and genius, whose entire act was focused on pessimism but was actually an idealist who just wanted to see the world become the better place it could be if we just pushed ourselves a bit harder. "You always hear about the bad drug experiences, but never the good ones. You never hear stuff on the news like: Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all of one consciousness dreaming of itself subjectively, there's no such thing as death, life is but a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

George Carlin - Because he could spend an hour on scathing political commentary, and then the next hour on silly things that brought us all together "You ever go into a room, and forget why you went in there? And two words float through your head: Alzheimer's Disease."

And the one (group) I can't believe noone has mentioned yet: The Pythons. Do I really have to explain why I love these guys? Movies, albums, television., live shows. Everything they have done is solid gold brilliance.

Athaniar
2008-12-24, 02:13 PM
And the one (group) I can't believe noone has mentioned yet: The Pythons. Do I really have to explain why I love these guys? Movies, albums, television., live shows. Everything they have done is solid gold brilliance.

I second these.

Ash08
2008-12-24, 09:10 PM
I 6th(i think) Eddie Izzard, his jokes are uterly halarious.

Sneak
2008-12-24, 09:27 PM
Demetri Martin: Genius and hilarious. Really all that needs to be said.
Proof: If I for the former, everything else he's done for the latter.

Mitch Hedberg: Tragic and hilarious.
Proof: His death for the former, everything else he's done for the latter.

George Carlin: Amazing.
Proof: You know what? I'm tired of this template now. George Carlin is just damn funny, and that's all I have to say about that. Same goes for Jimmy Carr. And Eddie Izzard.

I'm also among the ranks of the Dane Cookhaters, mostly because he's ridiculously popular despite the fact that:
a) he's not funny
b) his delivery makes him sound like a pompous *******. Actually, that's probably not his delivery, it's probably just him.
c) he may or may not steal jokes

Innis Cabal
2008-12-24, 09:30 PM
Demetri Martin: Genius and hilarious. Really all that needs to be said.
Proof: If I for the former, everything else he's done for the latter.

I'm also among the ranks of the Dane Cookhaters, mostly because he's ridiculously popular despite the fact that:
a) he's not funny
b) his delivery makes him sound like a pompous *******. Actually, that's probably not his delivery, it's probably just him.
c) he may or may not steal jokes

QFT on both accounts. Dane Cook isn't a comedian. He's a warning for others.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-24, 10:01 PM
Ed Byrne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJF6u9u9Pd8). Mostly just because I don't know many comedians, and he looks eerily like myself.

Edit: **** whoops. There fixed. I linked that on a different thread today, my copy pasting skills are failing.

hanzo66
2008-12-25, 03:49 AM
The only thing from Cook I found amusing was "You Suck At Photoshop"...

Still, I agree with the above.

Shosuro Ishii
2008-12-26, 12:41 AM

The one thing that makes Dane Cook such an annoying comedian.

Here's a simple guide to doing a Dane Cook impression:

1) Think of the most medicore joke you can think of...preferbly a less funny version of a joke someone else already told you.
2) Pretend your a Frat Boy who just did a line of Cocaine and yell your joke very loudly, refusing to adhere to any form of comedic timing.
3) Wait 3-4 seconds for your joke to register with its audience
4) Repeat.

revolver kobold
2008-12-26, 03:23 AM
Dylan Moran, both for the fact he is an excellent comedian and we both share excellent taste in boots.

Dylan Moran really shines when you put him together with Bill Bailey (I missed his Tinselworm tour when it came here, it sold out very fast), Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and the rest of their crew.

Tim Minchin is a genius, and if you haven't heard any of his songs or poetry, i suggest you watch Angry(feet).

Setra
2008-12-26, 03:43 AM
The Pythons and Robin Williams..

Trazoi
2008-12-26, 04:17 AM
A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I'll put a plug in for my favourite Aussie comedy music group, Tripod. Here's a Youtube link to one of their songs: Gonna Make You Happy Tonight. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaSv9rxo2I) Unfortunately I can't seem to find a Youtube link to my favourite (Hot Dog Man); maybe that's one they only do in their live acts rather than on TV specials. But you can find a bunch more of their songs and skits on Youtube.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-12-26, 06:48 AM
Dylan Moran, both for the fact he is an excellent comedian and we both share excellent taste in boots.

Dylan Moran really shines when you put him together with Bill Bailey (I missed his Tinselworm tour when it came here, it sold out very fast), Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and the rest of their crew.

Tim Minchin is a genius, and if you haven't heard any of his songs or poetry, i suggest you watch Angry(feet).

Tim Minchin is solid gold. I loved it when he/GUD did the tribute to Eddie McGuire at the Melbourne Comedy Festival with the Eddie McChoir (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWewm-emgM)... absolutely brilliant.( For the Non-Aussies, Eddie McGuire is/was the host of our "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?", The Footy Show, and 1 vs. 100. He was also the CEO of one the big TV networks (Channel 9) up until last year. So, he is quite well known here.)

I also forgot to include Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey in my selection as well. Black Books is genius, as is Bill's DVD Part Troll. The Scale of Evil (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/746347/comedian_bill_bailey_the_scale_of_evil/) song cracks me up terribly.

Just reading through this thread is reminding me of a lot of comedians I haven't watched in a while... Holy crud. I just remembered Greg Proops! Can't believe I forgot about him. How could i forgot that pompadour'd genius?!

Arlion
2008-12-26, 12:25 PM
Diego Capusotto,if you understand spanish you should see him on youtube

H. Zee
2008-12-26, 12:58 PM
I actually had a conversation about this with a friend recently. We each came up with our top five favourite comedians or comedy 'teams,' and it was much harder than we thought. Mine were:

5) Eddie Izzard
4) Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey
3) Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding (i.e. The Mighty Boosh)
2) Simon Pegg and Nick Frost

And my #1 favourite comedy team is...

1) Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington

RabbitHoleLost
2008-12-26, 02:03 PM
Margaret Cho.
I love her to pieces.
Most bluntly funny woman I have ever seen.