PDA

View Full Version : Adapted Warblade = My samurai PEACH

Boci
2008-12-23, 12:49 PM
I’m planning a low-magic campaign setting that mimics certain aspects of oriental culture. As we all know, one of the first things people will think of when hearing such a thing is of course “samurai”. Now, I know the a warblade who focuses on iron heart and diamond mind manoeuvres is a fairly decent concept for a samurai, but I’ve been reading “Oriental Adventures” recently and I really liked the idea of the clans and felt that whilst their samurai was probably inferior to the fighter, it did have potential. So here is my samurai. If something is not explained, it if either taken straight from “Tome of Battle”, or “Oriental Adventures”.

The Samurai

BAB: As fighter. No explanation needed.
Good saves: Fort. As most martial characters, samurai’s are tough.
Bad saves: Ref, Will. Samurai’s have no inner “knack” at resisting mental attacks or suddenly diving clear of danger, although certain class features help them in these areas. I thought it would be unbalanced to give this samurai a good will save aswell as good fort.
Skill points per level: 4. The minimum amount for a non-caster IMO.
Class skills: Balance (dex), Climb (str), Concentration (con), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Iajutsu focus (cha), Intimidate (cha), Jump (str), Perform (cha), Profession (wis), Knowledge (history) (int), Knowledge (nobility) (int), Martial lore (int), Ride (dex), Sense motive (wis), Swim (str) and Tumble (dex)
To choose class skill I merged those of the warblade with the “Oriental Adventures” samurai, expect for the one change of swapping knowledge (local) for Knowledge (nobility) since that seemed to be more appropriate for an imperial soldier.

Table: The Samurai
Level Special
1st Battle clarity (reflex saves), weapon aptitude, ancestral daisho, 1st level manoeuvres
2nd Uncanny dodge
3rd Battle ardor (critical confirmation) 2nd level manoeuvres
4th Bonus feat
5th 3rd level manoeuvres
6th Improved uncanny dodge
7th Battle cunning (damage), 4th level manoeuvres, Bonus feat
8th Improved stance
9th 5th level manoeuvres
10th Bonus feat
11th Battle skill (opposed checks), 6th level manoeuvres
12th Signature style
13th Bonus feat, 7th level manoeuvres
14th Greater Stance
15th Battle mastery (attacks of opportunity), 8th level manoeuvres
16th Bonus feat
17th 9th level manoeuvres
18th Improved signature style
19th Bonus feat
20th Stance Mastery

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A samurai is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as light and medium armour, but with no shields. Shields were never a major part of samurai training AFAIK, but they would be competent with a wide variety of weapons and all but the heaviest of armour.

Weapon aptitude: Strike everything after the first paragraph. Samurai’s training allowed them to master weapons to a greater degree than other; however this skill is the result of many hours of hard training and unwavering discipline. Changing this takes a lot of effort.

Ancestral daisho: At the cost of time and gold, a samurai can unlock the spiritual heritage of his family’s blade, allowing it to mimic magical abilities. However, only a worthy samurai will be able to gain anything from this rite.

Weapon Bonus Total Sacrifice Required Minimum Character level
+1 3,000gp 4
+2 14,000gp 8
+3 27,000gp 12
+4 48,000gp 16
+5 75,000gp 20

I felt this was a very flavourful ability of the “Oriental Adventures” samurai. Naturally its been hosed down due to this being a low magic setting.

Stances, manoeuvres known and manoeuvres readied. Both of the latter are identical to the warblade. So are stances with the one difference that they learn their 2nd stance at level 5, not 4. This does not affect hwne she learns her 3rd and 4th stance.

Available manoeuvres: The manoeuvres available to a samurai will depend greatly on their clan. However, all samurai gain access to the Iron Heart discipline, since unrivalled martial skill is the trademark of the samurai. In addition, depending on their clan, a samurai gains the following two disciplines:

The Crab Clan emphasizes heavy armour, great strength and unusual weapons. They gain access to the Stone Dragon and Devoted Spirit.

The Crane Clan emphasizes speed and agility. They gain access to the Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw disciplines.

The Dragon Clan teaches two weapon fighting and unarmed combat. They gain access to the Setting Sun and Tiger Claw disciplines.

The Lion Clan emphasizes strategy, intelligence and strength of will. They gain access to the Diamond Mind and White Raven disciplines.

The Phoenix Clan emphasizes mental and spiritual training. They gain access to the Devoted Spirit and Diamond Mind.

The Scorpion Clan emphasizes mobility and dirty fighting. They gain access to the Desert Wind and Shadow Hand disciplines.

The Unicorn Clan emphasizes mounted combat and archery. They gain access to the White Raven and Falling Star disciplines. If you are only using disciplines from ToB, replace the latter with Devoted Spirit.

I’m open to suggestion on changing these disciplines, but I feel the emphasized traits of each clan are generally supported by their disciplines.

Bonus Feat: At 4th level, and every 3 levels after that, a samurai gains a bonus feat. Like manoeuvres, the choice available for these bonus feats is dictated by their clan.

Members of the Crab Clan may choose: Armour Proficiency (heavy), Blade Meditation, Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Endurance, Power Attack (Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Great Cleave), Run, Weapon Focus (battleaxe, greatclub, katana, or warhammer) .

Members of the Crane Clan may choose: Blade meditation, Combat Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Improved Toughness, Weapon Focus (katana).

Members of the Dragon Clan may choose: Blade Meditation, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana), Improved Grapple (Choke Hold), Improved Unarmed Strike (Defensive Throw, Deflect Arrows, Grappling Block, Great Throw, Stunning Fist), Power Attack (Cleave), Twin Martial Strike*, Weapon Focus (katana) .

Members of the Lion Clan may choose: Blade Meditation, Combat Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Endurance, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Ki Shout (Great Ki Shout), Remain Conscious, Improved Toughness, Weapon Focus (katana) .

Members of the Phoenix Clan may choose: Alertness, Blade Meditation, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus (katana) .

Members of the Scorpion Clan may choose: Blade Meditation, Blind-Fight, Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Improved Initiative, Prone Attack, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus (katana).

Members of the Unicorn Clan may choose: Alertness, Blade Meditation, Mounted Combat (Mounted Archery, Trample, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge), Point Blank Shot (Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run), Weapon Focus (spear, lance, bow, or katana).

Note: In addition to those listed above, any samurai can use their bonus feat to take any feat keyed to a disipline they have access to.

*Twin Martial Strike
You know how to initiate a martial strike whilst still incorporating both of your weapons into the attack.
Prerequisite: BAB+2, Martial Lore: 4 ranks, Knowledge of at least one martial manoeuvre
Benefit: When wielding a weapon in each hand and you initiate a martial strike with an initiation time of 1 standard or full round action you may deliver the strike with your primary weapon. If it hits, the foe suffers the full effect of the strike, and you may make a free attack against it with you off-hand weapon at you highest base attack bonus. This off-hand attack is not augmented by the strike. Standard two weapon fighting penalties apply to both the primary and the offhand weapon.
Normal: You do not gain the free offhand attack when initiating a martial strike.

Improved stance: Starting at 8th level, you become better at retaining martial stances. Even you are in a martial stance you may, as a full round action, initiate a second one and retain the benefits of first one. You may remain like this for two rounds, after which you must either lose a prepared manoeuvre, or end the second stance. Either option is a free action. If the samurai lose a prepared manoeuvre, they may maintain the second stance for an additional two rounds before choosing again to lose another manoeuvre or drop the second stance.
This, along with the Signature style stuff is mainly meant as dead level fillers.

Signature Style: At 12th level, a samurai learns how to add a touch of his own creativity to his moves. Upon reaching level 12, a samurai may choose 1 of his three disciplines. Anytime he is in a stance or initiates a manoeuvre from that discipline, the DC to identify it via martial lore is increased by 2. Additionally, all strikes from that discipline deal an additional 1 point of damage.
Finally, a samurai chooses his signature move from his favoured discipline. This must be a strike. Whenever he initiates this strike, the DC to identify it via martial lore raises by 4, and he deals extra damage equal to 1/4 his samurai level. These bonuses overlap the previous bonuses. Whenever a samurai learns a new strike in his favoured discipline he can loose his former signature move to make the new one that.

Greater Stance: A samurai may now initiate a second stance as standard action. This stance stays active for three rounds, and the samurai need lose 1 readied manoeuvre once every 3 rounds instead of 2 to keep the second stance active.

Improved Signature Style: The bonuses to the identification DC for manoeuvres from the samurai’s favoured discipline increase to +4, and the one for identifying his signature move to +8. In addition, the samurai may treat any weapon he wields as his favoured discipline’s preferred weapon.
Finally, whenever the samurai initiates his signature move, he does extra damage equal to half his samurai level, and the critical threat range of his weapon for that one strike is increased by 1, after any multiplication have been made due to improved critical or keen. These bonuses overlap the bonuses described in the samurai’s “Signature Style” class feature.

So, what do you think?

Human Paragon 3
2008-12-23, 02:09 PM
I like how you've customized each clan. This class has great flavor and should be comparable to the warblade power-wise.

I would cut Improved Stance, since having multiple stances on at once is a Warblade capstone. If you want to keep it, I suggest trimming the overlap down to 1 round- still a boon, but half as strong.

hiryuu
2008-12-23, 03:16 PM
Giving it Iaijutsu Focus is redundant and very bad. Diamond Mind covers this.

RTGoodman
2008-12-23, 03:22 PM
I don't have time to look over EVERYTHING right now, but one first glance it looks pretty good.

Here's one suggestion, though - for the Unicorn Clan, what about letting them have access to (Fax's) Falling Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10707) archery-based discipline? If they focus on archery, I think it fits thematically, and I can assure you that it's good homebrew.

Boci
2008-12-24, 09:57 AM
I like how you've customized each clan. This class has great flavor and should be comparable to the warblade power-wise.

I would cut Improved Stance, since having multiple stances on at once is a Warblade capstone. If you want to keep it, I suggest trimming the overlap down to 1 round- still a boon, but half as strong.

Okay, and what about greater stance?

Boci
2008-12-24, 09:59 AM
Giving it Iaijutsu Focus is redundant and very bad. Diamond Mind covers this.

Only 3 of the samurai clans grant access to diamon mind, plus investing 1 skill point in order to do an extra 1d6 damage occassionally is pretty good.

Boci
2008-12-24, 10:04 AM
I don't have time to look over EVERYTHING right now, but one first glance it looks pretty good.

Here's one suggestion, though - for the Unicorn Clan, what about letting them have access to (Fax's) Falling Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10707) archery-based discipline? If they focus on archery, I think it fits thematically, and I can assure you that it's good homebrew.

Thanks, I added it.

hiryuu
2008-12-24, 11:12 AM
Only 3 of the samurai clans grant access to diamond mind, plus investing 1 skill point in order to do an extra 1d6 damage occassionally is pretty good.

No, seriously. The Nightmare Blade series of maneuvers are iai strikes, even if a given samurai doesn't have access to Diamond Mind. Not many schools in Rokugan practice iaijutsu anyway; it's mostly just the Crane, really. If you are using Tome of Battle, you should not be using that skill. It is a completely redundant skill.

Lappy9000
2008-12-24, 11:23 AM
Table is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) in the Guide to Homebrewing section. You should work on your formatting because this is extremely difficult to read. Also, you spelt "maneuvers" wrong.

Boci
2008-12-24, 12:16 PM
No, seriously. The Nightmare Blade series of maneuvers are iai strikes, even if a given samurai doesn't have access to Diamond Mind. Not many schools in Rokugan practice iaijutsu anyway; it's mostly just the Crane, really. If you are using Tome of Battle, you should not be using that skill. It is a completely redundant skill.

Maybe flavourwise its completely redundant, but mechanically its a useful skill to have. At any length, it can't hurt to keep it. Players like you don't have to put any ranks in it, other players might want to.

Boci
2008-12-24, 12:19 PM
Table is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) in the Guide to Homebrewing section. You should work on your formatting because this is extremely difficult to read.

Thanks for the link. I don't have time now but after everything calms down I'll try and reformat it, probably boxing day.

Also, you spelt "maneuvers" wrong.

That’s what I thought as well, but my computer disagreed. American English difference maybe?

RTGoodman
2008-12-24, 03:57 PM
That’s what I thought as well, but my computer disagreed. American English difference maybe?

Yeah, "manoeuver" is the British English spelling, while maneuver is the American English version. Either is fine.

Regarding Iaijutsu: I think it's fine to keep; if I player somehow manages to break the game with both it and the nightmare blade series of maneuvers, then it's up to the DM to fix it. I don't know if it's possible to break it, though, since I don't know ANYTHING about Oriental Adventures and the stuff from it.

Regarding Improved/Greater Stance: Just cutting down the number of rounds it lasts should be fine. For Improved, make it

Signature Style: You may want to include a line that say the increased DC and stuff don't stack for normal moves of your style AND your signature move. (So, like, you'd only have a +8 DC for your Signature Move with Greater Signature Style, instead of a +12.) I think it's common sense, you just might want to include it anyway.

Also, as a final thing, you might still want to include a secondary table for maneuvers known and readied - it's understandable why you didn't (it's the same as the Warblade one) but it makes it easier for people away from their books to know the general numbers if they don't have the table memorized.

EDIT: Forgot this bit.

Thanks for the link. I don't have time now but after everything calms down I'll try and reformat it, probably boxing day.

Yeah, follow the guide and you should be fine. But, as a special Christmas gift to you, try THIS SITE (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/) out. The owner (our very own SweetRein) has a VERY easy-to-use table generator for classes and such, which should cut down on a bit of your time spent formatting.