PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help With Gestalted Character

perpetualnoise
2008-12-23, 01:37 PM
hi, it's been awhile since i've been here but i do need some help

every now and then when im not working, im in an evil gestalted campaign and all of the other characters are extremely uber. i used to play a ToB something or nother but i forget what and he's dead, and im really interested in playing a like a cleric or druid or something.

here's the stipulations: evil or evilish, all 3.5 materials available, and hopefully freaking absurdly uber to either work well with or leave in the dust the following PCs, a deathknight ogre thingy who gets like +50ish to damage, warmage/wizard, wizard/theif, psion/wilder

basically, i just wanna pwn them all on the few occasions i get to play.

the dm is pretty chill with what we can have and do for classes and such.

thx in advanced

Vortling
2008-12-23, 01:44 PM
Try out swordsage//druid if you're looking to play a druid. Nothing quite says uber like a hard hitting teleporting bear. It's a very SAD build needing only wisdom with con as your back up. If you intend to go ridiculously uber, take a gander at factotum//wizard.

As a side note you're going to have trouble "leaving people in the dust" if the wizard players play intelligently.

perpetualnoise
2008-12-23, 01:51 PM
Try out swordsage//druid if you're looking to play a druid. Nothing quite says uber like a hard hitting teleporting bear. It's a very SAD build needing only wisdom with con as your back up. If you intend to go ridiculously uber, take a gander at factotum//wizard.

As a side note you're going to have trouble "leaving people in the dust" if the wizard players play intelligently.

interesting combo of the swordsage//druid

as to the wizards, both of them are good, and i dont mind having trouble, but i think it would be fun to put them in there place once in a while.

Vortling
2008-12-23, 04:07 PM
interesting combo of the swordsage//druid

as to the wizards, both of them are good, and i dont mind having trouble, but i think it would be fun to put them in there place once in a while.

Good as in smartly played or good as in the alignment?

Malacode
2008-12-23, 04:51 PM
You can't put wizards in their place. You just can't. Unless you're a Druid who can kill them before they get past level 10. Then you're golden

Istari
2008-12-23, 05:08 PM
Go Druid/Wizard, all the uberness of a Druid with wizard casting, plus with natural spell you can cast wizard spells in wildshape too

Jack_Simth
2008-12-23, 08:13 PM
Druid//Ninja.

Swift action invisibility, and four+ attacks on a (Wildshaped) Charge that all get Sudden Strike damage, plus all good saves, Wis to AC, and some other nifties. Oh yeah, and Full Casting. Needs Wis and Con to work. Strength and Dex are meaningless thanks to Wildshape; Intelligence is just for skill points, and Charisma doesn't do much for you.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-23, 10:05 PM
So you want to break past the power curve and be the guy all the other fellahs wanna be like?

Druid10/Planar Shepherd 10//it doesn't really matter 20

Seriously, Planar Shepherd is probably the single most broken PrC in the game, even worse than Incantatrix. How about tossing around Wishes for free, or making the Wizard's Time Stop spell cry in envy? This, too, can be yours.

As for the other side, meh. Go Monk. Good saves, casting stat to AC, and if the GM is nice, lets you use your monk unarmed damage instead of your wild shape damage. For best results, stack with Improved Natural Attack for a base damage of 4d8 unarmed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-24, 01:36 AM
What level are you starting at?

I'd probably go Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ War Shaper 4/ MoMF 1/ WSR 1/ MoMF 2 on one side, and Fighter Feat Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) 20 on the other. Get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Natural Spell, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, Extend/Persistent Spell, and Defensive Sweep, with a few open feats mixed in there. You'll be able to Wild Shape into a 12-headed Cryohydra and get its Fast Healing, and with Robilar's Gambit you'll get a 12-bite AoO every time you're attacked. You can also Wild Shape into a War Troll (MM3) and get all of its special qualities since they're all Extraordinary (DR/Magic, Epic, and Alignment is Supernatural, DR/damage type B/P/S and metal type is Extraordinary). War Shaper is just icing on the cake/lie.

Str needs to be 13 minimum, Con and Int are your first priority, Wis needs to be 12+, Dex and Cha are dump stats.

Get a Monk's Belt, Gloves of Dex, Armbands of Might, a Large +1 Valorous (UE) two-handed weapon, a Lesser Rod of Maximize, a bow with a stack of +1 Spell Storing arrows each containing Maximized Shivering Touch (FB), and some 1st level Pearls of Power for your Ranger spell Rhino's Rush. Turn into a War Troll, cast Rhino's Rush, charge in with Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Persistent Wraithstrike with your Valorous weapon and you'll be dealing about four times as much damage as that ogre is capable of in a round. With your Wizard buffs, various immunities, Regeneration plus Protection From Energy/Energy Immunity, and Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500) spells you'll be unstoppable. This character will probably be able to tell the rest of the party to stand back and watch as he solos every adventure. They will be your sidekicks.

Ramza00
2008-12-24, 02:57 AM
We need more information such as level, all 3.5 including dragon or not, mixed settings, etc.

For example this is a cool build, but I don't know if it is applicable to you for you didn't provide enough info.

I present to you steampunked Gandalf a level 13 character.

Artificer 13//
Archivist 5/Mystic Wanderer 7/Sanctified One of Kord 1

Here is the trick of the build.

1 level of Sanctified One of Kord makes all your fire spells do divine damage that is unresistable.
Mystic Wanderer 2 gives you a familar which you use Dragon 338 to substitute for your staff familar
Craft Staff
Recharge Staff from Dragon 338, you sacrifice a total of 5 levels of spells to recharge 1 charge of any level to your staff.
Ring of Telekinesis

You use craft staff and add the spell fire seeds to your staff. The damage done by the spell is unresistable.
You use fire seeds to make some awesome acorns of destruction.
You use the ring of telekinesis to hurl them at your opponents. At caster level 9 for the ring of telekinesis you can hurl 9 acorns per round, each acorn does 12d6+12 damage, that is an average of 486 damage per round.

This is before metamagic which you can easily due with metamagic item, this is before persistent buffs from artificer.

Oh you can easily recharge your fire seed staff due to recharge staff. Here are 5 level 1 spells. It cost me a mere 1875 gp for the pearls of power I crafted, that is 1 fire seed per day cost.

dspeyer
2008-12-24, 03:30 AM
Druid10/Planar Shepherd 10//it doesn't really matter 20

~snip~

As for the other side, meh. Go Monk. Good saves, casting stat to AC

Consider ninja instead. Druid already has will and fort, so it fills in what you need, gives the same AC bonus. It also gives 6+int skills (one of the few things druids are short on), sudden strike and a bunch of random wis-powered goodies.

Alternatively, consider crusader. A great many Tiger Claw maneuvers benefit from being a tiger (actually, a Megaraptor is even better).

You can, of course, mix ninja and crusader to your own taste.

perpetualnoise
2008-12-24, 10:09 AM
We need more information such as level, all 3.5 including dragon or not, mixed settings, etc.

lvl 13 i think, yes all 3.5 including dragon (even though i dont have any issues) DM's homemade world

Ramza00
2008-12-24, 10:53 AM
Well my above build would also work as a 12th level character, just drop one mystic wanderer level, wasn't thinking correctly you actually get 6th level spells at level 11.

Make sure to also take the three eberron feats that reduce metamagic costs.

The Mormegil
2008-12-24, 12:33 PM
Planar Shephard +1. Also, get Factotum on the other side. Gestalt bonus actions are that good.

Eldariel
2008-12-24, 12:52 PM
The best character? Wizard/Incantatrix//Factotum. Really, really good at everything 1-7, goes nuts on level 8 (a bunch of extra standard actions per each combat, a dozen persisted spells per day, a billion other benefits). Planar Shepherd is also ok, but unless you're using it for infinite Wishes, it'll really take until level 15 to truly go nuts. Most of the really broken non-Wishmonkey Wildshape forms require a bit more HD to get too. Don't get me wrong, Planar Shepherd is monkeyballs nuts, but I'd rather face one than an Incantatrix/Factotum Wizard. It helps that the best secondary class, Factotum, is Int-derived (and thus, Incantatrix gets more Fonts of Inspiration than a Planar Shepherd).

noobofsonicboom
2008-12-24, 01:09 PM
This is my favorite combination:
Sneak attack fighter (UA)/ Wizard (PHB)/ Hulking hurler (CW)/ Master Transmografist (CA)

Pretty much you take levels in fighter for 5 levels, multi class into hulking hurler for 2 levels. at level 8 you start taking levels in Master transmografist. So at first level you can turn into a Trent, and throw a bolder dealing 12d6 + 9 damage, have 20 ac, and other goodies. Eventually because of the prestige class stacked with your perfect attack bonus, you get a +6 to all attacks. If you take the feat arcane strike you can sack this bonus to deal another 12d4 damage with each attack!

at level 18 you get a really cool ability where you can take a base form and add a second trait. So take a Whale, (gargantuan, 35 str) and add limbs, then cast enlarge person, then you can throw a bolder dealing 86d6 damage! Also some fun forms are 12 headed hydra with leanians wis drain (no save) so you deal 12 permanent wis damage in 1 round, or Termaculis with the black pudding split ability! 10 regen, and infinite copies isn't that bad!

The possibilities are endless!

Good luck!

noobofsonicboom
2008-12-24, 01:17 PM
Oh here are some other good ones too:

Bard/Hexblade (Bonuses for yourself, penalties against foe)

Monk/ Kensai/ Druid (Wild shape + Imbuned fists = awesome)

Cleric (luck domain)/ Fortune's Friend/ Human Paragon/ Fighter (So many luck feats, you controal the battle)

Rouge/ Dread Necromancer (Flank with undead!)

I hope these help!

perpetualnoise
2008-12-24, 04:07 PM
all of those are really good ideas, thanks for the advice