PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Drawing Fire

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 04:47 PM
So had an idea for (what I think) is an interesting character. Knights are the undisputed champions of drawing fire, of course, but how could you make it better?

Well, there's the Good Karma (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Good_Karma,all) feat (potentially with Unbelievable Luck (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Unbelievable_Luck,all), which lets you draw fire from adjacent allies onto yourself.

But wait. If we're taking these luck feats...why not go into Fortune's Friend for extra luck stuff? I mean, the only issue I see is the lack of advancement on Knight's Challenge.

Still, assuming I forgo Fortune's Friend (because, let's be frank, it's not that hot), what else could I do to draw fire onto myself? I could take a level in Crusader and pick up Iron Guard Glare, for starters.

Then we run into the question of survivability. Combat Expertise should help, but spells and similar still become an issue. I suppose the Shield Ward feat (which adds your shield bonus to your touch AC) would stack with the Knight's Shield Block ability for extra defense v. rays. But how do I draw, and then survive, other sorts of effects?

NEO|Phyte
2008-12-23, 04:50 PM
Shield of arrow catching (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#arrowCatching)?

There's also a Devoted Spirit counter that lets you give an adjacent ally your shield bonus +2 against an attack, IIRC.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 04:53 PM
Shield of arrow catching (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#arrowCatching)?

There's also a Devoted Spirit counter that lets you give an adjacent ally your shield bonus +2 against an attack, IIRC.

Dude. I just now thought about coupling that shield with protection from arrows entropic shield.

Malacode
2008-12-23, 04:57 PM
I really like this idea. All you need to do is make sure the casters buff you beforehand. Another option is a 2 level dip in Deepwarden (If you're a Dwarf) or (Even better) a 1 level dip in Fist of the Forest to get Con to AC (First one as a replacement for Dex, second as a bonus). Your survivability now only depends on one stat, and your mates on another (Cha, isn't it?)... Add in a race which gets a decent Con bonus, a +6 amulet/cape/whatever, and not only have you got a ridiculous number of Hitpoints, your Touch AC is impossible to make on anything under, say, level 30.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-23, 05:27 PM
I really like this idea. All you need to do is make sure the casters buff you beforehand. Another option is a 2 level dip in Deepwarden (If you're a Dwarf) or (Even better) a 1 level dip in Fist of the Forest to get Con to AC (First one as a replacement for Dex, second as a bonus). Your survivability now only depends on one stat, and your mates on another (Cha, isn't it?)... Add in a race which gets a decent Con bonus, a +6 amulet/cape/whatever, and not only have you got a ridiculous number of Hitpoints, your Touch AC is impossible to make on anything under, say, level 30.

What/where is fist of the forest? Figured Races of Wild/Destiny were the most likely. But no luck.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 05:41 PM
Fist of the Forest is a great idea. Terrific idea. My Con will likely be astronomical anyway.

PS: It's in Complete Champion.

Malacode
2008-12-23, 05:50 PM
Complete Champion, I believe. Page 80. One level dip nets you the best class feature. Use it in a Barbarian build and watch your DM weep as his AC goes UP while raging

Edit: Ninja'd. My first time too. I finally feel like a true forum member now

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 05:55 PM
Hm. Recommendations on race? Warforged would be neat, dwarf and human carry the regular nifies, half-giant and goliath have LA but also have Powerful Build...

Malacode
2008-12-23, 06:37 PM
If you're willing to go with a 3.0 supplement, Bastards and Bloodlines has the 2 LA half ogre with +6 to Con to Str. Damn. Umm... There's the Watcher, same 2 LA but +4 to Con, +2 to Wis, -2 to Int and a number of other useful abilities (No need for sleep! You look just like a statue. Pretty good for guarding the party while they rest)

Edit: :lightbulb: The list of LA0 races lists ability score changes! Yahah! Mongrelfolk get that same +4 Con, but no LA. However, -4 Cha.

Thurbane
2008-12-23, 06:41 PM
As a 3rd level ability, the Tactical Soldier PrC gets Interpose (take all of an adjacent character's damage, 3/day). At 4th level, they get Defensive Shield, which gives two adjacent allies +2 dodge bonus to AC when you fight defensively.

The Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats from DotU might be of use as well.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 06:42 PM
As a 3rd level ability, the Tactical Soldier PrC gets Interpose (take all of an adjacent character's damage, 3/day). At 4th level, they get Defensive Shield, which gives two adjacent allies +2 dodge bonus to AC when you fight defensively.

The Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats from DotU might be of use as well.

Where's Tactical Soldier from?

DrunkMonkGar
2008-12-23, 09:01 PM
Miniatures Handbook, IIRC.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 09:05 PM
Miniatures Handbook, IIRC.

...You're McAwesome? Dude. Small world.

Temp.
2008-12-23, 09:12 PM
I made a character like this a while ago. I don't seem to be able to find the sheets though.

Off the top of my head, Goad in Complete Adventurer lets you use a move action to force any melee attacks an adjacent foe makes target you instead of allies.

The Stalwart Defender feat from the PHB2 and the Knight Protector class from CW each let you give adjacent allies +2 AC against melee attacks. This is kinda indirect, but it could make them less appealing targets.

Then there're spell effects like Mindless Rage (SpC), but those don't sound like what you're looking for.

I think there's also a class in PGtF or CW with "Wizard's protector" fluff that lets you take a hit in place of an adjacent enemy.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-23, 09:20 PM
I think there's also a class in PGtF or CW with "Wizard's protector" fluff that lets you take a hit in place of an adjacent enemy.

Oh! Yeah, the Red Knight of Thay or whatever. I'd forgotten about that.

DrunkMonkGar
2008-12-23, 09:42 PM
...You're McAwesome? Dude. Small world.

I'm shocked that I'm that well known. Anyway, good luck finding the perfect tank. I like making high AC characters, but they usually get ignored in favor of targets that don't require a natural 20 to hit.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-23, 09:57 PM
Drow of the underdark has a feat called constant guradian, letting you take
-2 on attack rolls to give an ally a +2 bonus to ac, and is the prereuqusite for Dutiful gurdian, which lets you switch places with a willing ally as he's attacked and take the damage.

I hope those help.:smallsmile:

Darrin
2008-12-24, 12:00 AM
Hm. Recommendations on race? Warforged would be neat, dwarf and human carry the regular nifies, half-giant and goliath have LA but also have Powerful Build...

Dragonborn Magic-Blooded Mongrelfolk. +6 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha.

Arctic template (Dragon #306) could also add +2 Con/-2 Cha. Not to mention Mineral Warrior (another +4 Con) or Lolth-Touched (another +6 Con) for very low LA.

On the other hand... a Dragonborn Arctic Magic-Blooded Muckdweller (tiny size = AC bonus), possibly also a Mineral Warrior and Lolth-Touched strikes my fancy as being strangely perverse... except it has no reach and doesn't threaten any squares.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-24, 12:13 AM
Dragonborn Magic-Blooded Mongrelfolk. +6 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha.

Arctic template (Dragon #306) could also add +2 Con/-2 Cha. Not to mention Mineral Warrior (another +4 Con) or Lolth-Touched (another +6 Con) for very low LA.

On the other hand... a Dragonborn Arctic Magic-Blooded Muckdweller (tiny size = AC bonus), possibly also a Mineral Warrior and Lolth-Touched strikes my fancy as being strangely perverse... except it has no reach and doesn't threaten any squares.

Ah, but see, I need that Charisma score and need to be Lawful. I was actually looking at Lizardfolk, but that 2 RHD +1 LA is kinda off-putting.

EDIT: Oh my. Chaos Gnomes are nigh perfect. +2 Con/Dex/Cha, 1 reroll a day, immune (confusion), and an entropic shield SLA. Mitigatable downsides. Water Mephling is nice too.

Malacode
2008-12-24, 12:23 AM
This is why we need a handy dandy list of races/templates by ability score adjustments. Would make so many things so much easier

FMArthur
2008-12-24, 12:38 AM
Just whip it out and pee in the faces of your enemies. Guaranteed 100% to draw all fire.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-24, 01:48 AM
Ah, but see, I need that Charisma score and need to be Lawful. I was actually looking at Lizardfolk, but that 2 RHD +1 LA is kinda off-putting.

EDIT: Oh my. Chaos Gnomes are nigh perfect. +2 Con/Dex/Cha, 1 reroll a day, immune (confusion), and an entropic shield SLA. Mitigatable downsides. Water Mephling is nice too.

Is that where the nigh perfect comes from?

@V: Maybe take permanent Enlarge Person and play the Drizz't of Chaos Gnomes?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-24, 01:53 AM
Is that where the nigh perfect comes from?

Between that and the small size, yeah.

dyslexicfaser
2008-12-24, 03:01 AM
If you're going to be small anyway, consider cannibalising the Killer Gnome build LogicNinja came up with, and using stuff like Confound the Big Folk, Underfoot Combat (RoW), Titan Fighting, and maybe the Blade Bravo PrC to get in under those big, hulking bad guys' guards, rack up a high AC, and mangle them.

If you don't care about using homebrew, consider Tempest Stormwind's 'Sublime Dwarven Defender' (here: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-867144). It's a new take on the old Dwarven Defender, and one I've personally had a lot of fun with.