PDA

View Full Version : Grade a Background: Joshu Tabris, Scion of Bael Turath

Leliel
2008-12-23, 06:44 PM
Well, I have always been a fan of "subverted BBEG" PCs (ie, they have a goal that seems to be one that you would expect from a person of evil alignment, but have enough of a moral compass to be called good), so as a challenge, I decided to take a "white-haired pretty boy" (you know the type) with the fairly basic goal of building his own personal empire, but give him both a fairly benevolent motive-in Joshu's case here, giving a home to his adopted family-as well as enough morals so that the world would probably be better off for his mark on it.

So, without further ado:

Joshu Tabris doesn't remember his real home, or even his real parents. All he knows is that his first memory was that of being raised by the tiefling Ammon and his wife, and that from their description, they were poor serfs who couldn't afford to raise a child. All that he has of them is his first name, which he thinks is a bit ungainly on the tounge.

A direct desendant of one of the minor houses of Bael Turath-the equivalent of a minor knight-Ammon never belived that the tiefling empire was something to be ashamed of. True, there was much that no one should be proud of, but much good came of that nation, such as technology, the spread of civillization, and a critical part of the warlock arts. Joshu took this to heart, and he grew proud of his parents' heritage.

Then, tragedy struck. While the Tabris clan was always a family of bandits, they only took what they needed to survive in thier swampy home. Unfortunately, a racist group of Pelor worshippers, looking for an excuse to rid the world of a few more tieflings, took this as excuse to show that they were an evil cult worthy of destruction, responsible for some nearby Shadowfell corruption (when it was pretty obvious it was a black dragon). They found the unfortunate family and drove them into the Underdark.

The clan's luck grew even worse underground, where they were beset by a party of drow slavers. The group was captured, and Joshu was seperated from his family. Desperate, he remembered the ritual used to invoke the powers that gave the warlocks of Bael Turath their power, and used it to call out to something-anything-that would help him save his family. And something answered.

Called only Udo, the sentient mind of another universe, it gave Joshu his wish in return for carrying a bit of it's alien essence within him, so it could experience the sensations of another dimension. Using the brief but godlike surge that came with the intial gift of his power, he decimated the drow and saved most of his clan...Except his mother, who had been killed by the drow in an attempt to break Ammon.

Devastated, Joshu came to the conclusion that the drow would not suffer his wrath-all the slavers were killed-but that the racism of the humans were to blame. Therefore, he would create a place free from all persecution for the tieflings, where no one of his adopted race would have to walk in fear...To restore Bael Turath.

And if he also happens to be the new emperor...Well, he can better guide it from a comfy throne.

So, what do you think?

Agrippa
2008-12-23, 07:42 PM
I'm not all that familiar with 4th edition, nor am I interesting in becoming familiar with it. With that out of the way I'll tell you what I think about Joshu Tabris. To me he sounds like he'd be Lawful Good in 1st-3rd edition. Not quite sure what alignment he'd be in Fourth. Joshu is a noble minded, well intended and idealistic man with a good moral compass. That's perfect paladin material. I'd say he sounds like a Lawful Good paladin/warlock to me.

And yes, I probably would try to convert the warlock class into pre-3rd edition rules. I'd try converting a lot of classes into pre-3rd edition rules. That's just me. Also, I think most paladins (before 4th edition) would eventualy realize that Joshu Tabris is a good man regardless of his ancestery. In 1st-3rd edition paladins do have detect evil as an at-will class ability. In fact the bulk of Tabris' high command would be paladins including paladin kings.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-23, 08:44 PM
I like it.

Why is he adopted? What does that add to his character? Are you holding a secret legacy or Darth Vader in reserve? Or is it just to make it particularly clear that he's doing this for his family because he loves them, not because of any "blood ties" rubbish?

Is "Udo" really as benign as all that, just trading power for some vicarious enjoyment? What makes him interesting?

Building your own personal empire really isn't a bad thing at all in PoLand. In these dark times, the world really does need all the law it can get. What might be questionable is reincarnating this particular empire, since Bael Turath did have... non-good aspects. What does Joshu think about "the warlock arts"--that is, what's his opinion on fraternizing with the legions of Hell itself?

Leliel
2008-12-23, 09:29 PM
I like it.

Why is he adopted? What does that add to his character?

To show that he was "born with nothing".

Are you holding a secret legacy or Darth Vader in reserve? Or is it just to make it particularly clear that he's doing this for his family because he loves them, not because of any "blood ties" rubbish?

He's doing it beacuse he loves his family, not beacuse he was born with any "divine right to rule" or somesuch. Indeed, in my notes, I specifically asked that the DM not "reveal" he is a distant reliative of one of the desceased houses of Bael Turath-he was literally born with nothing.

Is "Udo" really as benign as all that, just trading power for some vicarious enjoyment? What makes him interesting?

He's a catalyst. The warlock needs to have his powers come from somwhere, so I found Udo.

Building your own personal empire really isn't a bad thing at all in PoLand. In these dark times, the world really does need all the law it can get. What might be questionable is reincarnating this particular empire, since Bael Turath did have... non-good aspects. What does Joshu think about "the warlock arts"--that is, what's his opinion on fraternizing with the legions of Hell itself?

Well, that's what makes him a subverted BBEG.

As for the "warlock arts", he believes the infernal pact doesn't beholden one to it's orginal creators-power is power, and it's your choice on how to use it.

As for him, it isn't that practical a question, since he's a starlock.

FoE
2008-12-24, 03:03 AM
Seems good to me. I don't see why the humans couldn't have killed his mother, though. (Why involve the drow?) I would give it an A-. :smallsmile:

RebelRogue
2008-12-24, 08:35 AM
Considering your user name, I suppose the Evangelion reference is intentional?

Leliel
2008-12-24, 03:29 PM
Why, yes.

Given what he wants to do, I thought that the name of the Angel of Free Will was appropriate-just beacuse he has an amoral goal doesn't mean he happens to be-he choosed to be good.

Plus, he's a white-haired pretty boy. Why shouldn't he share a last name with another one?

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-24, 03:53 PM
He doesn't have an amoral goal! There's nothing evil about this guy at all! Stop flaunting what you haven't got!

To be more clear: he hasn't performed any evil acts. His mentor hasn't performed any relevant evil acts, and doesn't plan to perform any. He intends to form a kingdom, which could indeed save untold lives and misery and as such could well be a good act. He doesn't disapprove of infernal-pact warlocks, but he believes (maybe even rightly) that infernal pacts don't actually have any evil consequences--they just provide power--so his opinion is perfectly justified, even if it's wrong.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-24, 03:56 PM
He doesn't have an amoral goal! There's nothing evil about this guy at all! Stop flaunting what you haven't got!

Don't use such aggressive tone. From what's written in the OP it is obvious that this guy is going to build his own empire, and that his efforts will somehow make him an enemy of the players - when his soldiers conquer their town, for example.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-24, 04:05 PM
Don't use such aggressive tone.You're right. Sorry.
From what's written in the OP it is obvious that this guy is going to build his own empire, and that his efforts will somehow make him an enemy of the players - when his soldiers conquer their town, for example. Leliel is a player. I suppose he could be played in a more sinister way than I'm imagining, though. Good point.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-24, 04:09 PM
Ah, right, this is a PC, not a BBEG. My bad. Depending on how much evil is he willing to do to achieve his noble goal, then, he can range from Lawful Good to Evil.

Learnedguy
2008-12-24, 05:57 PM
"The road to ruin is paved with good intentions"

This could be your hook. An idealistic man striving to make a fair and just empire, but because of some fatal flaw in his thinking his actions lead to more suffering.

Well, that's if I understood the character correctly. Frankly I'm not sure I did:smallconfused:

Leliel
2008-12-27, 06:48 PM
You didn't.

He has a fatal flaw-misanthropy-but he's aware of it and learns from mistakes.

EDIT: No offense though, that's still a good hook.

HidaTsuzua
2008-12-27, 09:06 PM
I would suggest changing the name of Udo. Some players will call it U-do and then the possibilities of silliness is high. Choosing a lesser known god such as Mehturt (http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/egyptian-mythology.php?deity=MEHTURT) could work. As for alignment, you can have it whatever you want it depending on how "harsh" you want him to be.