PDA

View Full Version : Senso no Suzume[ToB- PEACH]

Innis Cabal
2008-12-23, 06:51 PM
A take on the Iaido style of katana martial arts. Mixed with some liberal super natural strikes, the Sensou no Suzume discipline was born. It is meant for the Swordsage, but it could be applied to a warblade as well. This discipline benefits those who keep their weapons sheated at most times, with several strikes, boosts and counters based outside of this style.

Sensou no Suzume

The Sensou no Suzume style focus’s on quick efficient cuts and the art of sheathing the blade after a single strike. A student of the Sensou no Suzume discipline hones his reflex’s and reaction time to create the strongest blade. Students of this discipline practice the belief that ending combat before it begins is the right path.

The skill for the Sensou no Suzume discipline is concentration, and its weapons are the bastard sword(katana), dagger(tonto), great sword(nodachi), short sword(wakizahi) and the scimitar(tachi).

A brief over view of maneuvers

Level 1

Single Strike-counter-attack foe a single time before damage is dealt

Stance of Sparrows-Stance- Your feet become as light as the wings of a sparrow, granting you bonus’s on several skills.

Gaze of Intent-Boost- By focusing on an enemy, you gain insights into their next movement

Level 2

Initiate the Stream-Strike- A single strike twists the air, becoming three wounds. Roll weapon damage twice more.

Breath of the Master- Boost- By inhaling deeply, you focus your mind, giving you an insight bonus on will saves and mind effecting spells.

Pariah’s Granted Reverence- Counter- Evade a single full attack by shunning the physically world.

Level 3

Wind Cuts Blade- Strike- A ranged strike utilizing air currents and the sharp edge of a blade. Deals 4d6+init bonus damage

Crane in Water- Stance- Much like the noble crane you stand perched above the gentle surface of the world around you. Gain an insight bonus to AC equal to charisma modifier

Level 4

Blades Like Rain: Peppers the ground in a 50 foot burst with glowing metaphysical blades

Once More, With Feeling- Boost- Uses the blades from Blades Like Rain to move swiftly, dealing slight to damage to any target passed.

Swift Demise-Strike- By dealing damage to yourself, you may stave off the effects of a single presistant spell or spell life effect.

Haze Strike- Strike- With your unsheathed sword, you create a hazy cloud that befuddles your opponents.

Coat of Swords-Boost- Creates two blades of energy to spin around you until dismissed. These blades may be used for a verity of effects

Level 5

Center Strike- Strike- With a single twisting strike, you hit the core of your foe causing him to be dazzeled for 3d4 rounds and dealing an additional 3d6 points of damage

The Back-Strike- Take a full move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Deal’s 6d6 points of damage to a single foe you pass

Strike not Seen-Counter-Uses a near by blade from Blades Like Rain to deal damage after damage is dealt. Damage of attack is equal to 1d8 per blade within 10 feet.

Level 6

Asura Chases Defeat-Stance- With the subtle kiss of wind, your strikes become harder to anticipate.

Blade finds Home- Strike- With your blade sheathed you send it forth, spinning to its foe, after its strike, the blade returns to the sheath

Break the Calm- With a single hand motion outwards, you summon forth the wind in a screaming torrent pushing friends and foes alike.

Level 7

Reflection of the Coy Pond- Counter- With the stillness of death itself, your foes blade pass’s around you as if strike by a hundred blades

Typhoon Blade- Strike- By simply swinging your strike, you summon forth a tornado whose winds are sharp as blades. Anyone caught in this wind are knocked prone and are dealt 6d8 damage.

Level 8

Coat of Swords(Greater)- Boost- Creates 7 blades of energy. Effects similar to Coat of Swords

Gail of Sparrows- Stance- Your body slowly grows less consistant, and all who stare to long begin to lose their grasp on reality.

Blades Descend, Dreams Unfold- With a single motion, you spin your foe and knock him prone in addition to your attack.

Level 9

Sword Saint-Strike- Summoning your training and dedication, you strike out with all your power, one strike becoming many. One wound growing flowing like a river.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-23, 06:52 PM
Level 1

Single Strike
Sensou no Suzume (Counter)
Level: Swordsage 1
Initiation Action: Immediate
Range: Personal
Target: A single creature
Duration: Instantaneous

With the sound of a breeze your blade swings from its sheath, striking an oncoming enemy before his blow lands.

Before damage is dealt in an attack, you may choose to strike out at the opponent damaging you for a single attack. A martial adept must make a successful to hit roll. A martial adept must have his blade sheathed for this maneuver.

Stance of Sparrows
Sensou no Suzume (Stance)
Initiation Action: One swift action
Duration: Stance (See Below)
Target: Self

With the flutter of wings your feet and legs feels as if they could climb mountains and jump on clouds

When you initiate this stance, you gain a bonus to your climb, jump and balance skills by your wisdom modifier. This bonus can not exceed a +10.

Gaze of Intent
Sensou no Suzume (Boost)
Initiation Action: One swift action
Area: Single Target within line of Sight.
Duration: One Attack
Target: Single Opponent
Saving Throw: Will Save (Will Negates)

Your eyes harden as you concentrate on your foe. And suddenly, like a ray of sun, you see through his defenses.

Once this maneuver has been initiated, you see gapes in your enemy’s defense even they are blind to. Your next attack against that target gains a +6 to hit, and deals an additional 1d6 damage per 5 levels of swordsage. (max 5d6). Your weapon must be sheathed to use this maneuver.

Level 2

Initiate the Stream
Sensou no Suzume (Strime)
Level: Swordsage 2
Prerequisites: Single Strike
Initiation Action: One Standard Action
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Reflex Half

As you draw your blade from its scabbard, you hear the sound of two other blades, feel two other hilts, and when you strike, feel the force of three blades meeting a single foe. When your sword returns to its sheath, three bloody wounds erupt from where you struck

The first of many hidden techniques within the Senso no Suzume discipline, the Initiate the Stream takes the principles of the Single Strike. This maneuver requires your blade to be sheathed before initiating. Once your hit is confirmed, roll damage as normal. Once done, roll weapon damage twice more. The target takes the sum of the total damage.

Breath of the Master
Sensou no Suzume (Boost)
Initiation Action: One Swift Action

By taking a single breath, your mind runs clear like the river.

The second pillar of the Senso no Suzume style, the Breath of the Master maneuver channels the calculating mind of the swordsman and channels it into a mental bulwark. You gain a +1 bonus per 4 levels of swordsage against will saves and mind effecting spells. This maneuver ends once you fail a save.

Pariah’s Granted Reverence
Sensou no Suzume (Couner)
Initiation Action: One immediate Action
Saving Throw: Reflex Save (See Below)

Your flesh and cloting suddenly grows stark white as the onslaught aimed at you pummels only open air.

A maneuver that shuns the mortal world, the Pariah’s Granted Reverence protects you from a single foe by slipping into the ethereal plane for an instant. This move may block only physical attacks, and up to a single full attack action. This maneuver does not protect against incorporeal creatures or creatures attacking from the ethereal plane. The initiator must succeed a single reflex save (DC 10+B.A.B of Attacker) for the maneuver to initiate. The initiator must have his blade in its sheath to initiate this maneuver. Once this maneuver is complete, the initiator is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Level 3

Wind Cuts Blade
Sensou no Suzume (Strike)
Prerequisites: One Senso no Suzume maneuvers
Level: Swordsage 3
Range: 60 Feet
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Reflex half

Taking your blade from its sheath, a wind whistles near your feet, racing forward with blade like sharpness.

Your blade cuts through the wind, creating a small thin breeze that slices through the air striking your target. This breeze deals 4d6 damage plus your intelligence bonus, and is subject to Damage Reduction. The breeze counts as your weapon for resolving damage in these instances. A successful reflex save halves the damage. Your blade must be sheathed to initiate this maneuver

Crane in Water
Sensou no Suzume (Stance)
Prerequisites: One Senso no Suzume maneuver
Level: Swordsage 3
Duration: Stance
Target: You

Taking on the stance of the Crane wading in a pool, foe and friend alike takes notice of your commanding presence.

Upon taking up this stance, you feel more confident about your abilities, and it shows. You may apply your charisma modifier to your armor class while in this stance. This modifier cannot increase your armor class by more than 4 regardless of what your charisma modifier is. This stance ends once you sheath your weapon and may not be re-initiated until your weapon is drawn again.

Level 4

Blades Like Rain
Sensou no Suzume
Prerequisites: Three Senso no Suzume maneuvers, Crane in Water Stance
Level: Swordsage 4
Initiation Action: One Full Action
Range: (See Text)
Area: 50 Feet
Duration: 10 rounds

With a wave of your hand, a burst of blades appears in the skies, the blades falling like a torrential downpour to the ground below.

With this maneuver, you create a burst of energy that manifests as bastard swords. This maneuver acts as a grenade like weapon. The blades created act as masterwork bastard swords if taken from the ground, and dissipate one round after removal 0r ten rounds after the maneuver is initiated otherwise. Once created, the blades appear within the 40 foot burst, a single sword appearing per 2 levels of swordsage (max 15). Swords cannot land on a square already occupied and must be at least 5 feet from one another. Your blade must be sheathed to use this maneuver and ends any time you remove a single weapon in your possession out of its sheath.

Once More, With Feeling
Sensou no Suzume (Boost)
Prerequisites: Blades Like Rain, One Senso no Suzume maneuver
Range: 100 feet
Target: Personal
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates

You place your feet against a blade, feeling its intent flood into your being, moving you to another similar blade within range your speed and energy harming any in your way.

Utilizing the mystic power of the Blades Like Rain maneuver, you speed along the swords as if possessed by the wind itself. As a swift action you may move from one blade to the next. Any target adjacent to you takes 2d6 points of fire damage. After this maneuver ends, you are stunned for 2d4 rounds. Your blade must be sheathed to initiate this maneuver.

Swift Demise
Prerequisites: One Soso no Suzume maeuver
Duration: Instantaeous

Taking your blade into your hand, you cut across your stomach, the dizzying power over your mind ending as the pain lances through you.

By making a successful attack against your flat footed AC, you may end a persistent harmful spell or spell like ability that is currently effecting. If the damage done to you is negated in any way, this maneuver does not take effect.

Hazy Strike
Prerequisites: Two Senso no Suzume maeuvers
Initation Action: One Standard Action
Duration: instantaneous, 5 rounds +1 per 6 levels of Sword Sage
Target: Self
Saving Throw: Fortitude

With a single swing of your blade, clouds usher around you and your weapon making it harder to see you.

Once your blade is drawn, the energy in the air condenses creating a soft white cloud around you. This cloud grants you half concealment against attacks, but incurs a -2 penalty on all attack rolls. Your blade must be sheathed to initiate this maneuver

Coat of Swords
Sensou no Suzume (Boost)
Prerequisites: Two Senso no Suzume maneuvers
Initation Action: One Swift Action
Duration: See Text
Target: One Creature (See Text)
Saving Throw: Will Negates (See Text)

[I]With your weapon sheathed, two hazy blades appear at your side, ready to serve

You must have sheathed your blade this round to initiate this maneuver. Once done, two blades appear hovering at your side. These blades count as weapons identical to your own for purposes of damage and overcoming Damage Reduction. These blades can be used in attack similar to regular blades, but hit on a creatures touch AC. A creature is granted a single will save to negate the damage of these blades. If used in this manner a sword dissipates after a single full attack, three strikes against a creature, or if damage is negated from a will save.
The second option with these blades allows the martial adept to “throw” them at a foe, dealing 1d6+5. Used this way, a sword dissipates once used.
The third option of the blades is to defend from oncoming attacks. Each blade may absorb 10 points of damage each before shattering.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-24, 05:18 PM
Little under half is up. PEACH away.

Salvonus
2008-12-24, 08:38 PM
Well, since I'm allowing this in my game, I guess I'll see if I can critique it a bit. :smallbiggrin:

... by the way, have you played Bushido Blade 2? This reminds me of the Iai Stance that some of the characters use.

Just looking at the first two levels in depth, since that's what matters for (the start of) my game. :smalltongue:

Single Strike - I like it. It's a pretty neat idea, actually, and it has the chance of saving your butt. It helps my impression of it that I'm the type of fencer (Epee) who counterattacks a lot. Honestly, minus the sheathed bit, this would work quite well in a rapier-based Discipline.
Stance of Sparrows - Almost seems... underpowered.
Gaze of Intent - Not bad. My first impression was that it might be a bit much, but I checked out the ToB and it looks okay to me.

Initiate the Stream - Looks okay. No complaints here.
Breath of the Master - There aren't any Mind-Affecting spells that aren't Will Saves, are there? Oh, wait, Crisis of Life [Telepath 7]. Looks good... It's nowhere near as good as the Diamond Mind counters, but it's more of a lasting boost.
Pariah’s Granted Reverence - That DC is going to be somewhat easy at low levels and really hard at high levels (DC 30?!). You don't really explain what this actually does. Ignore a single attack? Ignore a round of attacks? What about magic?

Innis Cabal
2008-12-24, 08:41 PM
:smallbiggrin: Duely noted, thank you! Will fix up that stuff.

As for Bushido Blade 2. I've played it ya, but I actually own Bushido Blade 1. And also have studied Iaido and several forms of hand to hand combat.

Pariah’s Granted Reverence was intended for physical combat, and ya the DC does go up pretty swiftly but it counters a full attack which at those levels is alot of damage to negate.

Salvonus
2008-12-24, 08:57 PM
Ah... Which Bushido Blade do you prefer? They're both really different, I find, although I usually play around more with BB 2.

The fix looks good! :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2008-12-24, 09:00 PM
One was clunky in its execution but magnificent in its actual idea. Bushido Blade played off that and over all did better. So...two.

And thank you :smallbiggrin:

The rest should be up tommorow or late tonight.

kyoten
2009-01-03, 09:45 AM
Is this work still in progress or canceled? It looks awesome!

The Demented One
2009-01-03, 10:38 AM
Single Strike: I would make this work by having their attack provoke an AoO from you.

Stance of Sparrows: A teensy bit weak, to be honest. There's no need to cap the bonus at +10, and I don't think it would be too bad if you let them apply the modifier to all Strength and Dexterity based skills.

Gaze of Intent: I think this one is a bit strong. I would cut the attack bonus down to +4, and have the damage bonus be equal to your initiator level.

Initiate the Stream: This one's a bit overpowered–Ruby Nightmare Blade is two level's higher, only doubles the damage, and requires a skill check to boot, with the only difference being that it also multiplies bonus damage from Strength. I'd knock this up to 6th level, and just have it straight up triple the damage.

Breath of the Master: The bonus should be based off of your initiator level, not your Swordsage level–any class could get this maneuver through Martial Study. I think the bonus could stand to be increased to maybe +1 plus an additional 1 per 3 levels.

Pariah's Granted Reverence: Ooh, really not sure on this one. The parrying effect is comparable to One with Shadow, an 8th level maneuver. The save doesn't really help things, but the stunning does...it's a weird little maneuver, and I've got no idea how balanced it is. My guess would be that there are very few times when a player would rather risk giving up their next four turns to block a single round of attacks, especially at the very low levels they would be gaining this. Maybe bump this up to 6th level, remove the save, and change the stunning to a single round of being dazed.

Wind Cuts Blade: I'd bump the damage up to 6d6, to put it on par with Fan the Flames, and cut the Intelligence bonus to damage–not many Swordsages have an Int score worth speaking of. Also, the name sort of bugs me. Why not "Wind-Cutting Blade?"

Crane in Water[b]: Not very good for a Swordsage; Charisma's their big dump stat. As written, this feels more like a class feature than a stance. I'd scrap it.

[b]Blades Like Rain: This one is...weird. The goal is to let you wield a sword while having your main sword sheathed, right? The swords should probably have an enhancement bonus based on initiator level, and this maneuver should be tagged as being supernatural. I'd also consider lowering the initiation action to a swift action.

Once More, With Feeling: So if I'm reading this right, it lets you move between two points connected by the swords from Blades Like Rain? Probably want to specify that in the text. Also a bit weird to have one maneuver rely on knowing another. Also, the stunning for 2d4 rounds bit is just ridiculous–that's got the potential to take you out of commission for an entire encounter. I'd change the initiation action to a move action, cut the stunning, and maybe do away with the sword thing entirely.

Swift Demise: The wording on this one is wonky...I'd have it reading "As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack against yourself, using your flatfooted AC, and rolling damage as normal." I'd also require an initiator level check to dispel a spell. This one could probably stand to be 2nd or 3rd level, especially if you add the initiator level check.

Hazy Strike: Why isn't this a boost? Also, the duration should go off of initiator levels.

Coat of Swords: Hmm, this one's a bit wonky. What I would do is specify that each sword is imbued with ten ki points. It can make a single melee attack for 3 ki points or a full attack for 10; be thrown at a foe for 10 points; and absorb any amount of damage from a melee attack by spending an equal amount. Once a sword hits 0 ki or is saved against (and you should specify the save DC), it dissipates. Unless you want stuff like attacking twice with a sword and then just putting it on damage soak duty. Also, this one should be tagged as supernatural.