PDA

View Full Version : A question on the new Mass Effect on Steam...

13_CBS
2008-12-23, 08:25 PM
Now that Mass Effect and other EA games are on Steam, does that mean that, by buying Mass Effect on Steam, I won't have to deal with DRM issues?

Oregano
2008-12-23, 08:46 PM
Now that Mass Effect and other EA games are on Steam, does that mean that, by buying Mass Effect on Steam, I won't have to deal with DRM issues?

I'm a bit confused by this, because I've heard conflicting things, one says no DRM because it's on Steam and one said that there is now DRM on Steam but only for EA games.:smallconfused:

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-23, 09:16 PM
I'm a bit confused by this, because I've heard conflicting things, one says no DRM because it's on Steam and one said that there is now DRM on Steam but only for EA games.:smallconfused:

This last one is also the correct one.

13_CBS
2008-12-23, 09:22 PM
Wait, but...

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/EA-Games-to-release-DRM-free-titles-on-Steam

EA Games to release DRM-free titles on Steam

by Sol Invictus, Level 31
Last updated at December 22, 2008, 1:15 am

As some of you who use Steam may have just discovered, Electronic Arts has officially caved in to popular demand and joined Valve's digital distribution system Steam and along for the ride are a few major games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, Spore and Red Alert 3.

Seeing as how Rockstar manhandled the recent release of Grand Theft Auto IV by embedding countless DRM procedures into the game, EA Games has decided that it will not make the same mistake and has instead opted to remove the SecuROM protection from the games that it will be releasing on Steam.

The full list of games available on Steam include:
- SporeTM
- Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
- Warhammer® Online: Age of ReckoningTM
- Mass Effect®
- Need for SpeedTM Undercover
- EA SPORTS FIFA Manager 2009

Further games will be made available in the coming weeks:
- Mirror's EdgeTM
- Command & ConquerTM Red AlertTM 3
- Dead SpaceTM
[/quote]

NEO|Phyte
2008-12-23, 09:35 PM

They will not have SecuROM, but DRM will still exist, in the form of Steam itself.