PDA

View Full Version : Another book Suggestion Thread!

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-24, 10:38 AM
I just got a Kindle for Christmas(yes, we're a bit early, but we're leaving at early Christmas day). I also received a gift card for Amazon, so now I'm wondering what Books I should get, and thought I'd ask the Playground. Here are some of my interests(these are just where most of my reading comes from):
Science Fiction(Preferably around the Honorverse in terms of hard/soft), Historical Fiction, General Fiction, Biographies.

Examples:
Ender Seres/Shadow Series by Orson Scot Card, David Weber, General Series, Dies the Fire series SM Stirling, The Dresden Series, Historical Fiction by Jeff/Michael Shaara, Genuis(Biography of Richard Feynman), The Thrawn Series.

SilentNight
2008-12-24, 11:29 AM
1984 and Brave New World. Both well written and slightly scary. In comedy, I'm going to point you like everyone else in the direction of Christopher Moore. A very sick man in the very best sense of the word. :smallbiggrin: Look up "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

Athaniar
2008-12-24, 02:04 PM
The Thrawn Series.

Have you got all of the books in this series (Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight)? If not, get them.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-24, 03:21 PM
Oh, I didn't realize there were more than the original 3 and the Hand of Thrawn books.

Satyr
2008-12-25, 12:42 PM
Science Fiction: Hard to be a god by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky and anything by Stanislaw Lem. It's different from the western Science Fiction tradition, but very intersting and in the case of Lem, not only very intelligent, but also amusing.

Historical Fiction: Bernard Cornwell is a good read. It doesn't really matter wich one of his diffferent seris you take, because he receicles the protagonist again and again, but they are readable enough to excuse the sometimes surficial research. Umberto Eco. Anything by Eco, really. Everyone should feel obliged to read the Name of the Rose and Eco's comments to the book; Baudolino and the Island of the Day before are excellent historical novels; Foucault's Pendulum is not really a historical novel, but highly recommendable. The Parfume by Martin Süßkind.

General Fiction: Apart from the Pendulum, I have not a really good idea at the moment. Lord of the Flies is one of the most accurate reflections of what humans are (instead of how humans should be) but it is too well known to count as a real recommendation.

Biographies: That's not really my area of expertise, Christopher Clark's biography of Willhelm II. is quite good and has its interesting points.

snoopy13a
2008-12-26, 10:29 PM
If you like the Honorverse and historical fiction then you could check out the early 1800s British navy fiction series.

There is CS Forrester's Horatio Hornblower series (Honor Harrington is part Horatio Hornblower and part Lord Nelson) and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Mautran series.

Athaniar
2008-12-27, 07:03 PM
Oh, I didn't realize there were more than the original 3 and the Hand of Thrawn books.

But there is. If you remember the Outbound Flight mentioned in the other books, well, that's what they are about. Survivor's Quest is about the rediscovery of the Flight some years after the Hand of Thrawn books, while Outbound Flight takes place between episodes I and II and is about the launching of the Flight. Both are by Zahn, both tie in nicely to the main story, and both include bonus short stories. I recommend them both.

If you want further information, just ask.