PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Build and Awesome Blow

Solaris
2008-12-24, 03:40 PM
Out of curiousity, would Powerful Build trait (which enables you to count as one size bigger when beneficial) enable you to take the Awesome Blow feat?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-24, 03:42 PM
Technically, no.

Solaris
2008-12-24, 03:51 PM
Hrm. Alright. Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-24, 03:54 PM
I mean, that's not to say it wouldn't be awesome (it is, after all, "Awesome" Blow). But technically, no. There's nothing inherently wrong--or even unbalanced--with allowing it: Powerful Build just doesn't work that way.

Solaris
2008-12-24, 03:58 PM
I'm quite fond of ditching RAW in favor of a more 'Rule of Cool' approach, but I just wanted to check for legality. I was contemplating making up a character involving a big honkin' hammer and Awesome Blow without resorting to an ogre or other Large race.

Iku Rex
2008-12-24, 03:59 PM
The Knockback (RoS) feat is usually better anyway, and can be taken by characters with Powerful Build.

bosssmiley
2008-12-24, 05:25 PM
Knockback > Awesome Blow - noted. Thanks.

I've just had an idea for a tribe of oddly-dressed giants (shorts, brightly coloured shirts, over-coiffured hair) who use Awesome Blow and Snap Kick in combination. The operative sound effect here is *punt!* :smallbiggrin:
They'll always lose on penalties though

On-topic: IIRC Powerful Build qualifies you for the Throw Enemy feat (Races of Short), doesn't it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-24, 05:36 PM
Large and In Charge from the Draconomicon is the king of lockdown, but Powerful Build doesn't work for it either.

Solaris
2008-12-25, 06:47 AM
Oh, hey, Knockback pretty much does exactly what I'm looking for. Thankye kindly.

Hehe. Fling Ally.
Yeah, Powerful Build qualifies you for Fling Enemy. Fling Enemy has a specific caveat listed for the trait, but the book features a race that has that trait. Depending on how you read it, that could set precedence for letting M-Powerfully Built creatures take feats that require Large or not. Still, Knockback pretty much completely covers the base I was looking for so I'm pretty much good.

Siegel
2008-12-25, 02:33 PM
character involving a big honkin' hammer and Awesome Blow

STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

:smallwink: