PDA

View Full Version : [4th ed] Two Weapon Fighting

lisiecki
2008-12-25, 01:07 PM
Ok, So this may be me missing something obvious in the book, but thats why there are message boards.

I'm trying to figure out what 2 weapon fighting dose in 4th ed at like first level.
Do you get to make multiple attacks against the same target
Do you get to make attacks against multiple targets
is it ONLY relevant for powers that say that you have to have a weapon in each hand.
Is it ONLY descriptive?
From the description of the feat, and the ranger i really dont see it spelled out.
Or i may just be having a blond moment

i HAVE the 4th ed core books, so if some one can just give me a page number that would rock

Kurald Galain
2008-12-25, 01:17 PM
(1) Nothing, unless you're a ranger or tempest fighter (CM) or take the TWF feat (which isn't all that great).
(2) Never, except if a power explicitly lets you
(3) Never, except if a power explicitly lets you (note this answer comes up very frequently when answering questions of whether you can or cannot do some thing in 4E).
(4) Pretty much.
(5) Pretty much. Although you can e.g. wield a melee weapon in your left hand and an implement or missile weapon in your right, and use either at need.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-25, 01:27 PM
There are some helpful aspects to it. Mostly Two-Weapon Rangers and Tempest Fighters use it, but there are a few other aspects.

What should not be overlooked, and was listed by Kurald, is the ability to have two weapons with different purposes.
A Warlock with a Mace or other melee weapon in one hand, and a rod or wand in the other.
A Rogue wielding a Rapier and Parrying Dagger gives them the bonus from the Dagger, as well as the added usefulness of a rogue weapon-talent ranged weapon. See also the Double Weapons from the AV.
A Paladin with a Warhammer and Throwing Hammer (for example) can engage his opponents with the off-hand Thrown Weapon to keep his Divine Challenge up against a foe who is trying to flee.

Stuff like this comes in very handy. It is, for the most part, however, for the fluff.

lisiecki
2008-12-25, 01:29 PM
(1) Nothing, unless you're a ranger or tempest fighter (CM) or take the TWF feat (which isn't all that great).
(2) Never, except if a power explicitly lets you
(3) Never, except if a power explicitly lets you (note this answer comes up very frequently when answering questions of whether you can or cannot do some thing in 4E).
(4) Pretty much.
(5) Pretty much. Although you can e.g. wield a melee weapon in your left hand and an implement or missile weapon in your right, and use either at need.

Ok, So there's no benefit unless there's a feat like Jaws of the Wolf where you HAVE to have it.
Or a Ranger can have a Scimitar in one hand and a Battle ax in the other, and switch between them at will, and the benefit to the feat is only the damage bonus.

EDIT______________________________________________ _______________

Ah you snuck in when i wasn't looking
ShadowElf

Kewl, I hadn't thought of any of those

Ninetail
2008-12-25, 07:46 PM
Ok, So this may be me missing something obvious in the book, but thats why there are message boards.

I'm trying to figure out what 2 weapon fighting dose in 4th ed at like first level.

It's a feat. You get a +1 to damage rolls with your main weapon while holding a weapon in each hand. That's it. No multiple attacks or anything, unless you're using a power that allows them.

Do you get to make multiple attacks against the same target

Only if the power allows it.

Do you get to make attacks against multiple targets

Only if the power allows it.

is it ONLY relevant for powers that say that you have to have a weapon in each hand.

No. If you take the feat, you get a +1 to damage whenever you use your primary weapon.

Is it ONLY descriptive?

If you don't take the feat, and you don't have any powers that allow attacks with both weapons, then yes.

From the description of the feat, and the ranger i really dont see it spelled out.

The ranger class ability is a little different. If you chose Two-Blade Fighting Style, then you can wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand. Without that fighting style, you can only wield a weapon that's designated as an off-hand weapon.

This allows a ranger to wield a larger, more damaging weapon such as a scimitar or longsword in the offhand, rather than a weapon such as a shortsword or dagger.

The ranger does not need to have the feat to attack with a power that uses two weapons. The feat only gives a damage bonus.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-25, 08:55 PM
Ok, So there's no benefit unless there's a feat like Jaws of the Wolf where you HAVE to have it.
Or a Ranger can have a Scimitar in one hand and a Battle ax in the other, and switch between them at will, and the benefit to the feat is only the damage bonus.

You never have to take the TWF Feat and, unless you really want TW Defense, you probably shouldn't.

Whether or not you use your main and offhand weapon on an attack is entirely dictated by your power text. Do be sure to note, if you are a Mixed Weapon Ranger, which is your Main and which is your Off-Hand.

Personally, I like Single Weapon Rangers, because you get a lot more mileage out of Weapon Focus and similar Feats. If you really want damage, just go Twin Bastard Sword - the extra to-hit is very important in 4E.