PDA

View Full Version : Festival Contest!

WampaX
2004-12-07, 12:47 AM
New contest! Here's the rules:

1.) You will be creating a festival/celebration. The end result should be something akin to a backdrop or a little more flavor to dress up a normal town. Its not as crunchy as the previous contests, but it seems an appropriate theme during this Decemberween time.

Format will be like this:

First Impressions: Something that will introduce us to the festival but doesn't give everything away. It could be flavor text for PCs that have just come into town and are witnessing the festivities for the first time or even a story that sets the mood.

A Cause for Celebration: The backstory on what the festival/celebration is all about.

Festivities: What activities normally go on during the festival? What does the populace do during the festival?

Modifications: How does this festival modify the town's normal processes? Are the temples closed? Will merchants need to change their prices? Are tremmorsense creatures more frequent as they are attracted to all the dancing?

2.) Festivals should be for a D&D-type setting only. Festivals can be specific to a world or place if you so desire.

3.) If a festival is linked to a specific world, city, or region it must be clearly stated at the start of your entry post. For example, if I was entering, I might start my post with:

Carnival of Fire
Greyhawk - Abbor-Alz
Celebrated in place of Growfest

4.) Each new festival should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that festival and the discussion of it. Put the tag [FESTIVAL] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.

5.) Post on this thread to let the mods know that you have entered a festival. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference.

6.) The contest begins today, December 6th. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, January 6th. On January 6th, we will lock all entry threads temporarily for the voting period (details of which will be announced at that time).

7.) Categories of voting and judgement will include the following:
Best First Impression - Does it put you there and make you want to know what is going on?
Best Backstory
Best Festivites
Best Campaign World Specific
The "Wish I Was There!" Award - The festival that you as a PC or DM would love to visit and explore.
Website Staff Award - This will not be voted on by the general public, but judged by the Giant, the Mods, and Amber.

8.) All winners will receive a custom title for the months of January and February, so they can gloat.

Use this thread for both questions and to alert us to any entries. Let the contest begin!!!

White Blade
2004-12-07, 01:22 AM
The festival of the sun is about to be posted

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-12-07, 04:25 AM
Put up the Day of Forgiveness (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11024078 45). Hope you guys like it.

Belial_the_Leveler
2004-12-07, 11:10 PM
Hour of Shadows just posted. It IS in a DnD setting but is campaign specific. Hope it is acceptable. (albeit a bit different)

Gamebird
2004-12-08, 03:37 PM
Day of Blessings posted.

It's generic for any D&D world where recognizable gods exist, though I intend to use it for the more rural areas of my game world.

Do I need to link to it or repost it here or anything?

Gamebird
2004-12-08, 03:40 PM
Oh and by the way...

I'm new to this contest stuff. Are we supposed to vote on them later, or is voting restricted to the Mods and/or web staff?

White Blade
2004-12-08, 04:15 PM
we vote on them gamebird. later. save the website staff one that one we don't vote on.
P.S. Welcome to barbarian hood.

killgore
2004-12-09, 05:38 AM
Posted River of Fire Day.

Sucros
2004-12-09, 07:36 PM
The Copperclaw Appeasement Festival is up.

WampaX
2004-12-09, 08:17 PM
Please makes sure you keep all your bits and pieces of the festival in your first post. Just Modify that post to add in other tidbits. Thanks.

- The Management (at least for this contest)

Brother_Glacius
2004-12-09, 10:10 PM
***** Whoops..forgot this part. I have a entry for the contest called the Ball of Eldarbre'.

***** Brother Glacius

Sucros
2004-12-10, 04:52 PM
Please makes sure you keep all your bits and pieces of the festival in your first post. Just Modify that post to add in other tidbits. Thanks.

- The Management (at least for this contest)

Done and done.

Cleb
2004-12-14, 04:19 PM
Entry: Day of No Gods

-Cleb

The Wise Assassin

killgore
2004-12-15, 03:19 AM
Posted Blessings of Wrath. Don't know if posting more then one entry is allowed, didn't see it in the rules.

WampaX
2004-12-15, 06:44 PM
Posted Blessings of Wrath. Don't know if posting more then one entry is allowed, didn't see it in the rules.

Go right ahead and post multiple entries, just don't go overboard.

Gamebird
2004-12-16, 03:36 PM
Day of the Dragon posted. It's designed for my game world, but could be used in any game where there's a primitive group that worships a dragon, or dragons.

Annarrkkii
2004-12-21, 07:14 PM
The Day of the Eye has been posted. It has limited use, but it can be used as an explanation for low elf populace, as it is in our campaign world. Unfortunately, I see Killgore made a similar Festival.

troubled_spectre
2004-12-23, 06:51 PM
Day of Truth posted. It's for my world, my campaign.. but the idea could be adjusted for any.

aerondor
2004-12-24, 12:29 AM
The dance of maidens is posted.

Specific to my campaign world(Gemoon). The description is for one town(Gents Dans), but the celebration takes place in a number of other towns as well.

It is pretty easy to adapt to any other world that has seasons.

Rick
2004-12-25, 04:20 AM
Bargaining Day posted. :)

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-12-29, 02:37 AM
Gol Darak (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11043021 54;start=0#0) posted, as a second entry. A bit more campaign specific than the other one; probably needs some more work.

Daft_Morgan
2004-12-29, 06:16 PM
Orktoberfest (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11043585 72;start=0#0) has been entered. Silly idea, I know.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-01-03, 01:05 AM
When does this contest officially end?

troubled_spectre
2005-01-04, 05:11 AM
6.) The contest begins today, December 6th. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, January 6th. On January 6th, we will lock all entry threads temporarily for the voting period (details of which will be announced at that time).

That's when. :)

Blue_C.
2005-01-05, 07:29 PM
I added the Dawn festival. Like I say on the post, it is specific to my own homebrew setting, but can be adapted to be a ceremony to any Sun diety. For instance, Pelor would work as a stand-in for the goddess Eos.

WampaX
2005-01-07, 09:35 AM
I've been working 15 hour days this week and will do a proper cosolidation post this evening.

Any entries dated after the official deadline will not be included. Thanks for the turnout and sorry again for the delay.