PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a Blue Bomber...

Greymane
2008-12-25, 07:57 PM
I love the 3.5 ruleset. Mostly because I have reasonable DMs, I bet. I have a character in mind that I want to create, but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

You see, I want to make Megaman. Not X or Zero or anything, but good ol' original Megaman. This will be a D&D magic-version of a robot, so I decided Warforged Scout would be the way to go. Energy cannon? All day? Every day? Gotta be a Warlock, right?

The hard part: Is there any class that focuses on gaining abilities from defeated opponents? One that doesn't involve eating their brains, I might add.

I would like to make a version that's actually playable as a PC, because if I wanted this guy to be an encounter, I could just wing things and say he takes a PCs ability for when he inevitably next shows himself.

In short: Is there a class or something that takes abilities from other creatures? Or will I have to homebrew something?

arguskos
2008-12-25, 08:03 PM
I have a homebrewed class feature for the barbarian that I can send you if you are interested (though it relies on your DM's ability to make stuff up, though you could easily standardize the effect). If you are interested, lemme know. :smallwink:

As for official stuff, I believe there is a feat in PHB 2 called Trophy Collector that might do what you want. Looking at it, it's pretty damn terrible (it gives you +2 on Intimidate checks vs. creatures of the type you have a trophy of, and a +1 saves vs fear/trophy you have). :smallannoyed:

Kyeudo
2008-12-25, 08:21 PM
I can tell you how you might do it, but it's slightly cheesy and a little open to interpretation.

Take a one level dip into Spellthief, take Precocious Apprentice to be able to cast a 2nd level spell, then take Master Spellthief. Your Warlock levels should then stack with your Spellthief levels for the purpose of stealing spells.

NPCMook
2008-12-25, 09:48 PM
You could look into maybe altering somethings around with the Totemist from Magic of the Incarnum book, most of its abilities revolve around forming energy into magic items that grant you abilities

Xallace
2008-12-25, 09:53 PM
I can tell you how you might do it, but it's slightly cheesy and a little open to interpretation.

Take a one level dip into Spellthief, take Precocious Apprentice to be able to cast a 2nd level spell, then take Master Spellthief. Your Warlock levels should then stack with your Spellthief levels for the purpose of stealing spells.

This idea here is actually pretty good. The only problem is that when Rock takes an ability, he takes it permanently (or at least until the next game...).

You could ask the DM to let you have a a special piece of loot (perhaps an embedded warforged component) that allows you to copy an enemy class feaure (after defeating them, of course), which is then usable so many times per day.

Possibly Erudite would work, at least as a dip?

Fostire
2008-12-25, 09:56 PM
I don't think there is anything like what you want, the best I can think of, is making grafts from enemy parts, but I have no idea how that would work.
But if you do find something like that, or homebrew it, let me know cause a megaman class sounds awesome :smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2008-12-25, 09:58 PM
You could look into maybe altering somethings around with the Totemist from Magic of the Incarnum book, most of its abilities revolve around forming energy into magic items that grant you abilities
I like this. Every major enemy defeated will give you access to a new soulmeld, but you can only have one at a time. As a DM I'd make you pay a feat or two for that, but that's all, and it should be fairly balanced.

woodenbandman
2008-12-25, 10:04 PM
Artificer. He takes their magic items and absorbs the XP from them, then crafts wands that contain their spells. He builds himself a +1 force impact light crossbow, that there's his mini cannon. He uses wands to fire his mega shots. He buys a wand sheath and wand bracelets, for a total of 11 wands at any times he wants. Rod of many wands is awesome, since you can fire several spells at once.

I think that Artificer is the best megaman class. It doesn't quite have the flavor down pat, but it's definitely the strongest, and you can build yourself an arm cannon, and get the special abilities of almost any spellcaster. That spellthief idea is pretty sweet too.

Xallace
2008-12-25, 10:09 PM
Well, if he went Artificer, he could get a wand-sheath of Channeled Pyroburst (from PHBII). That's about the closest to Megaman's Buster Cannon as I've seen in 3.5. Sadly, all variables must be chosen at the time of creation for a magic item, but perhaps the DM would allow otherwise if it was his main attack form?

newbDM
2008-12-25, 11:12 PM
I was planning on letting the warforged in my previous campaign find/take of a defeated warforged an original megaman inspired blaster. I was bombed that I never got to use it, along with a lot of other things that I planned/stated, since the campaign abruptly ended.

What I was planning was a warforged component arm. It allowed you you to switch from hand to "blaster" mode as a swift action. The blaster could manifest 5 ML.3 Energy Missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm)/day, but instead of hitting up to five targets each time it could only hit one target each time. In addition, when a hatch in the blaster was opened (like in the cartoon series) there were four round crevices. In each you can place a round (crystal for psionic powers, glass sphere for spells) magic/psionic items with per day uses of ranged powers/spells (such as magic missiles, ice or other rays, other types of energy missiles). You can then "fire" a charge from any of these crystals/spheres without needing to make a Use Psionic/Magic Device checks. Switching a crystal/sphere takes a full-round action.

I was planning on allowing the player to either have new crystals/spheres made, or search for them in dungeons and such.

I also considered allowing him to stuff things such as wands and dojre in there, but make it so you need to make a few modifications/upgrades (which usually would mean paying for them, or finding upgrades like in the megaman games).

Perhaps not the best method, but I tried to make it use as much "official" mechanics as I could.

Asheram
2008-12-26, 05:32 AM
Hmm..

I immediatly came to think of the "Constructs - It's alive" book.

If you've got it, I'd say an Simulancrum - Eidolon.
Base-creature dwarf with the face of a human child and a tweaked breathweapon to emulate the armcannon

Triaxx
2008-12-26, 06:13 AM
This was designed to emulate Metroid, but some of it should work for Megaman.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36617

Another_Poet
2008-12-26, 10:28 AM
In Heroes of Horror there is a monster that takes body parts, absorbs them and gains their abilities. So if it takes a dead rogue's sword arm it gains Sneak Attack. Or an eagle's eye and it gains the racial Spot bonus.

You could take a look and see if you could adapt it somehow.

ap

Deth Muncher
2008-12-26, 01:40 PM
In Heroes of Horror there is a monster that takes body parts, absorbs them and gains their abilities. So if it takes a dead rogue's sword arm it gains Sneak Attack. Or an eagle's eye and it gains the racial Spot bonus.

You could take a look and see if you could adapt it somehow.

ap

That's...Rockman in a nutshell, actually. If the monster has a LA or RHD for character play, just get rid of it and have the ability to absorb people's bits only apply to bosses, and maybe have it fit into WBL, as in, find an item that gives an equivalent of whatever their ability they're geting is for keeping track of WBL.

Djibriel
2008-12-26, 04:35 PM
http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=8308778&postcount=291

A sample build. It's a LN Warforged Artificer 20 with 2 Wand Sheats. A lot of Metamagic blasting and an Improved Homunculus Iron Defender. I'd change the build to get Improved Homunculus far earlier; I can tell you from experience an Improved Iron Defender can be great fun.

Irreverent Fool
2008-12-26, 08:11 PM
Illithid Savant?

obnoxious
sig

RebelRogue
2008-12-26, 08:36 PM
Illithid Savant?
Unfortunately:

One that doesn't involve eating their brains, I might add.

Greymane
2008-12-26, 09:52 PM
Wow. Thanks guys, all of this is really helpful. I especially like the sound of this monster from Heroes of Horror that gets abilities from creatures they slay. The Spellthief thing is cool, and while I at first was thinking on one for the build, having to Sneak Attack to get the powers, as well as only getting them for an hour was a real turn-off.

I'll try making a few different versions and see what pops up. If all else fails, I'll just have to make something from scratch. Thanks again, guys.