PDA

View Full Version : Any RPGA players in the Playground?

Aron Times
2008-12-25, 08:46 PM
I'm a Herald-level DM, though I play more often than I run games. My main character in the Living Forgotten Realms is a level 3 human warlord/wizard named Argent.

If there are enough LFR players in the Playground, I might be able to create a campaign from RPGA adventures, which is what many consistent groups do. Also, it might be a good idea to form adventuring companies now. Wizards has said that they plan on supporting adventuring companies. Perhaps they'll allow a sufficiently wealthy group to buy an airship or even a spelljammer?

NPCMook
2008-12-25, 09:43 PM
I do have a number and would love to do something with the RPGA stuff, but the only day I have open is Sunday evening

EDIT:I do have a character I'm intrigued to try also

The Antigamer
2008-12-26, 01:16 AM
How does RPGA work? I've been casually interested in it ever since I've learned of its existence, but I've never played and haven't delved too deeply into what it's about.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-26, 05:11 AM
I am an RPGA player; my prime character is presently level 5.

Thurbane
2008-12-26, 10:11 AM
I'm an RPGA member, but I've never played in any events.

One group I used to belong to was an officially recognized RPGA homebrew campaign...

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-26, 11:14 AM
I'm a member, but don't play in RPGA games since Arcanis departed from it.

Keld Denar
2008-12-26, 08:37 PM
I'm an RPGA member. I used to be VERY active during Living Greyhawk (3.0-3.5) since about 2000. I had 3 characters in LG, a 15 fighter mutt, a 12 cleric RSoP, and a 5 monk going into Pious Templar.

That said, I haven't gotten into LFR much beyond playing the 2 preview mods at DDXP (convention in Wash DC) and then DMing them for a group when I lived in KC. I haven't played since then.

I imagine using a program like OpenRPG combined with Skype or Ventrilo could facilitate a group of playgrounders interested in playing LFR online. You'd still need to mail out signed certs and whatnot after events, but you could schedule games pretty easily on the forums here. I know lots of people who used to play Core modules in LG online with people from all over the world. Since LFR doesn't have any regional requirements, it should be playable online just like old LG Core modules.

And to the person who asked, the RPGA is runs a global campaign (or several) which are modularized into 4-5 hour adventure segments. When a player plays one of these adventures, his character receives a certificate of play which details how much gold, xp, and which items that character happened to find along the way. That way, a character is "legitimate" or whatever when you play with different people. I know I played my LG characters in MI, MA, NH, VT, RI, CT, MO, ID, WI, MN, IL, OH, and Wash DC. Oh, and Montreal, CA too. Thats the most fun part of a Living campaign, playing in different areas with different people and experiencing all those different play styles. I know a few people who even took their RPGA characters over to Europe and played there, as well as some Europeans who I've had the pleasure of playing with in the US (mostly Brits, but also a really rockin guy from the Netherlands).

wadledo
2008-12-26, 08:57 PM
How does RPGA work? I've been casually interested in it ever since I've learned of its existence, but I've never played and haven't delved too deeply into what it's about.

Same here.

NPCMook
2008-12-26, 09:52 PM
For Homeplay its usually the DM and his group sitting around playing for a few hours and finding a stopping point, the DM then submits the progress through the module earning each player points, as you earn points you get Campaign cards which can do various things(DMs get a Miniature along with the Cards) The cards can do various things from allowing you to play certain races not normally allowed, to allowing you to go off the rails to complete a special quest, to giving you a random bonus

Glyde
2008-12-26, 10:56 PM
Used to be. Had a lot of bad experiences with crappy DMs that were trying to play *against* the players instead of with them. A situation involving a gryphon about to be killed by my incredibly unoptimized character - instead killing two people in one turn with a made-up-on the spot ability that allowed it to full attack, move, full attack.

One of the other players asked "Does it have cleave?"

"No."

Note, that this is Ket (Khet? Whatever). Wouldn't apply everywhere

Paul H
2008-12-30, 07:32 PM
Hi

I'm a Herald level GM for LG too. (Though that expires in two days)! :smalleek:

My main character is Oskar Thorinson Dwarf Clr 3(Boccob: Magic, Trickery)/ Warmage 4/Mystic Theurge 5.

With the death of LG I'm looking for other games for Oskar (over 350 hrs of fun with him). Currently looking into Living Planar. Will see what happens at Conception in 4 weeks.

http://www.conceptionuk.org/

Have a Tiefling Swordmage 1 in LFR. Will see how he pans out at Conception.

Cheers
Paul H

Paul H
2008-12-30, 07:42 PM
Hi

Just agreeing with Keld's point of the 'international' flavour of the RPGA events. I attend both Conception & GenConUK, and there's always contingents from USA, Canada, Switzerland & Netherlands.

Have been unsuccessful with with the online programs myself, though others I know have enjoyed using them.

Cheers
Paul H

horseboy
2008-12-30, 08:06 PM
I'm RPGA, don't have a LFR character yet.
What realm is Dyvers now, out of curiosity.

serok42
2008-12-31, 07:20 AM
I play in the RPGA (Living Forgotten Realms)

I'm a Herald level GM and backup senior GM for our group (since my friend is the actual senior GM)

Current characters are Dwarven Infernal Warlock lvl 5
Warforged Paladin of Gond lvl 4
and I have a Minotaur Barbarian as a back up character (lvl 1)

RandomNPC
2008-12-31, 05:18 PM
My group and I signed up, i passed the DM exam quiz, and we started the games, i made reports, sent info, and recorded all kinds of silly.

to this day all of our records are blank with the RPGA. Good luck getting those rediculous cards and minis they say thay hand out, I didn't even get a responce from them when i tried to contact them as to why none of my information was being recorded on the RPGA side.

Paul H
2008-12-31, 06:52 PM
My group and I signed up, i passed the DM exam quiz, and we started the games, i made reports, sent info, and recorded all kinds of silly.

to this day all of our records are blank with the RPGA. Good luck getting those rediculous cards and minis they say thay hand out, I didn't even get a responce from them when i tried to contact them as to why none of my information was being recorded on the RPGA side.

Hi

Sorry your experience is so bad. Sometimes it takes some time to get the records sorted. I had no problem getting started, and it seems very unusual for them not to respond. In fact the only hassle I've had was reporting games in time for the next delivery of 'goodies'.

As to ridiculous cards & minis - each to his/her own. I found some of the cards helpful, though I've yet to qualify for the GM points. Others I know have had plenty useful items.

Haven't yet done the 4ed GM test yet.

Cheers
Paul H