PDA

View Full Version : Fix for feats that give skill bonuses

ken-do-nim
2008-12-26, 09:09 AM
I just had a thought. You know all those feats that no one ever takes (unless as a prerequisite for a prestige class) that give a boost to certain skills? What if in addition to the +3 or +4, they also allow any skill checks to be "roll twice, take highest roll". Would that bring those feats up to par?

jcsw
2008-12-26, 09:16 AM
I just had a thought. You know all those feats that no one ever takes (unless as a prerequisite for a prestige class) that give a boost to certain skills? What if in addition to the +3 or +4, they also allow any skill checks to be "roll twice, take highest roll". Would that bring those feats up to par?

More than on par.

Eloel
2008-12-26, 09:36 AM
You know all those feats that no one ever takes
I don't know of those feats. What you seem to mean, like Stealthy and Nimble Fingers are quite popular as far as I'm concerned. Would you state the feats you mean please?

Talya
2008-12-26, 09:37 AM
Goliaths have a racial feat (with a painful useless prerequisite feat) that allows them to roll 2d20, pick the highest result on three skill checks (any skill) per day. It offers no bonuses other than that.

Of course, they get similar feats that allow them to roll 2d20 on attacks, saves, and initiative checks.

Arcane_Snowman
2008-12-26, 09:40 AM
I don't know of those feats. What you seem to mean, like Stealthy and Nimble Fingers are quite popular as far as I'm concerned. Would you state the feats you mean please? +2 to two different skills is rather a minute bonus in the face of being able to get synergy, and/or the more obvious choices out there in terms of more oomph per feat, say Darkstalker, sometimes you can even get more benefits without a feat, like the Skilltrick Clever Improviser for Open Lock, etc.

Clementx
2008-12-26, 09:53 AM
IMG, the bonus from Skill Focus increases by +1 at 8, 13, and 18 ranks. I experimented with changes to the +2/+2 feats, like having them make the skills in-class for all your classes, or also scale. I ran into the difficulty of having to update tons of monster stats, since they are such throwaway, easy feats to get, they are used as filler. Since no one who plans on getting above lvl5 (for scaling or multiclassing benefits of kick in) ever takes them, my players automatically ignore them.

ken-do-nim
2008-12-26, 09:54 AM
I don't know of those feats. What you seem to mean, like Stealthy and Nimble Fingers are quite popular as far as I'm concerned. Would you state the feats you mean please?

Yeah those are the feats I mean. I've never heard anybody take them before. May I ask why?

bosssmiley
2008-12-26, 10:27 AM
IMG, the bonus from Skill Focus increases by +1 at 8, 13, and 18 ranks. I experimented with changes to the +2/+2 feats, like having them make the skills in-class for all your classes, or also scale. I ran into the difficulty of having to update tons of monster stats, since they are such throwaway, easy feats to get, they are used as filler. Since no one who plans on getting above lvl5 (for scaling or multiclassing benefits of kick in) ever takes them, my players automatically ignore them.

Oooh, interesting fix for Skill Focus. Stolen (WYP, of course).

I suppose extending similar to the two skills feats could apply...

+2/+2 at 1st level
+3/+3 at 6th
+4/+4 at 11th
etc...