PDA

View Full Version : [3E] WFRP-style masterwork qualities

bosssmiley
2008-12-26, 10:56 AM
(yes, this is part of my attempted fix for the Crafting skill...)

I've been thunking recently about making masterworking into something that people care about in anything more than a:

"Meh. It'll do until we get *proper* magic items a level or so hence".

I mean, masterworked items are supposed to be on a par with the very best that our world's pre-modern weaponsmiths ever crafted, all that extra gelt (2lbs of it by weight) that should entitle them to a bit of respect. As it is though the magic weapon spell is on (IIRC) four different 1st level spell lists, and it makes masterwork weapons obsolete overnight.

Here's a suggestion. Instead of just giving masterwork weapons a flat nonmagical +1 bonus To Hit (which, in D&D3 terms, means precisely f'all), why not offer something like a D&D-ised version of WFRP's weapon qualities? These could just be small, relatively simple modifiers no more powerful or complex than the existing +2 to various actions (trip, disarm, etc.) that many weapons already possess just by virtue of being what they are.

The bonus quality would stack with the magic weapon spell or with permanent magical weapon enhancement, and you'd finally *actually notice* a mechanical difference between throwing the spell onto some rusty old looted miner's pick, or onto a finely-crafted, ornately-ornamented knight's crowbill.

Weapon Group (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm): Suggested Effect
Axe: Impact (re-roll 1s for damage)
Blades, Heavy: Defensive (+2 parry - TH roll used as AC)
Blades, Light: Deft (+1 initiative)

Bow: Precise (+1 non-magical to hit)
Crossbow : Armour Piercing (-2 armour AC)
Flails : Pummelling (+2 to confirm crits)

Hammer/Mace: Pummelling (+2 to confirm crits)
Lance: Impact (re-roll 1s for damage)
Pick: Armour Piercing (-2 armour AC)

Polearms: Impact (re-roll 1s for damage)
Spear: Precise (+1 to hit)

Thoughts? Opinions? Thrown vegetables?

edit: Yes, I am aware there was a multi-page debate some time ago on whether allowing a weapon to re-roll 1s for damage is overpowered. My personal view on this can be summed up as thunderous laughter. :smallwink:

Tengu_temp
2008-12-26, 11:05 AM
That might make sense in a game with lower magic level, but in DND, where at level 3+ magic items are common, masterwork weapons are supposed to be "Meh. It'll do until we get *proper* magic items a level or so hence". They're such a tiny part of the game that making a more complex set of rules just for them makes no sense.
Also, note that all magic weapons must be masterwork as well - by adding those various effects you make some of them better and some worse (who in the world uses parry?).

As for your edit, I believe that was a discussion regarding 4e, where weapon damage actually matters beyond the lowest levels.

UserClone
2008-12-26, 11:08 AM
I would probably split "polearms" up a bit finer than that (A lucerne hammer != a bohemian ear-spoon), although on the whole, the effect of what you're attempting there pleases me.