PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What book?

Kris Strife
2008-12-26, 02:46 PM
I have just enough money from christmas to get one book. I have the core set, MM 2 & 3, Comp War, Comp Arc, Comp Adv, Comp Div, Com Champ, RotD, Dragon Magic, Draconomicon, Cityscape, BoED, Elder Evils, and Exemplars of Evil. I'd have to order it anyways (my bookstore only has 4th edition in stock) so anything is good. I'm thinking Comp Scou

arguskos
2008-12-26, 02:47 PM
Player's Handbook 2. Hands down.

mikej
2008-12-26, 02:49 PM
Magic Item Compendium

UserClone
2008-12-26, 02:59 PM
Do you have a favorite character archetype? You lack several books related to various ones: CompScoundrel for skillmonkeys, PHBII for some neat ACFs plus Beguiler/Duskblade FTW!, MIC for...pretty much everyone, SpellComp for most any spellcaster (certainly any core caster), Dungeonscape (almost exclusively for the awesome Factotum base class mind you), Complete Mage has some amazing PrCs and such for casters (Notably the Abjurant Champion), etc. So what do you want out of your next book? How would you like your collection to round out?

Kris Strife
2008-12-26, 03:10 PM
I do like paladins (I was considering Complete Scoundrel for the Grey Guard class, but PH2 is a close second, Magic Item Compendium and Spell Compendium were tied.

Flickerdart
2008-12-26, 03:12 PM
Tome of Battle? If you like Paladins, the Crusader might be down your alley.

UserClone
2008-12-26, 03:23 PM
I would like to Echo Flickerdart's comment about the Crusader, it's like a Paladin, but even cooler (if more complicated at first). The PHBII also has the Knight class, which is interesting if you like to tank with your paladins, in addition to the Charging Smite ACF for Paladins, which is decidedly better than a Special Mount, if you are in a remotely Dungeon-Crawl type adventure.

So, if you absolutely don't like the idea of ToB, I'd go with PHBII (which I incidentally bought my GF for Christmas, as she is new to the game, and it is an excellent new player resource:smallsmile:). Otherwise, ToB is highly recommended.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-26, 03:26 PM
ToB, ToM, MoI, or PHB-II. Personal preference, for me, says "MoI", but PHB-II is a very very solid book.

UserClone
2008-12-26, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah, forgot all about MoI (although having just recently gotten it myself, I've still yet to absorb it, or see any use out of it, so I suppose that's just as well). However, I'd probably recommend AGAINST ToM, as he said he specifically enjoys Paladins (A decidedly martial class), and anyhow, everyone knows that the ToM only has one base class/magic system (Bindiers/Vestige Binding):smalltongue:.

Kris Strife
2008-12-26, 09:04 PM
Which book had the list of every 3.5 spell?I meant that, not ToM. And I've heard a lot about ToB, good and bad, but honestly, I like the paladin class as it is. Mind you, I avoid jerkwad DMs like a con goer avoids soap, so that might contribute to that.

woodenbandman
2008-12-26, 10:36 PM
Well a crusader is like a paladin but less horribly underpowered when compared to a spellcaster.

Don't get me wrong, a paladin could be fun, but it doesn't have enough options to be truly powerful, while a crusader can be powerful if you try hard enough.

Flickerdart
2008-12-26, 11:12 PM
Which book had the list of every 3.5 spell?I meant that, not ToM. And I've heard a lot about ToB, good and bad, but honestly, I like the paladin class as it is. Mind you, I avoid jerkwad DMs like a con goer avoids soap, so that might contribute to that.
Spell Compendium? I'm not sure it has every spell, but most of them would be in there.

ChaosDefender24
2008-12-27, 12:38 AM
Book of Vile Darkness

It seems to be hit or miss with people; I am a hit
If you can find a copy at your bookstore or something, flip through it and see what you think

If BoVD isn't your cup of tea, ToB is one of the most important books in 3.5 and every 3.5 D&D player should own one

BobVosh
2008-12-27, 01:32 AM
Spell Compendium? I'm not sure it has every spell, but most of them would be in there.

It has all the completes and a sprinkling of other spells.

It would be like 4x bigger to have every spell. And grow every 3rd week.