PDA

View Full Version : Epic question 3

ivendale
2008-12-26, 03:51 PM
Dm or player who's role do you preffer and why?

UserClone
2008-12-26, 03:52 PM
Is this in reference to Epic-Level play, or do you refer to the predicted length of your thread?:smallconfused:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-26, 03:54 PM
I personally prefer player. This is because I am a pretty lazy person, and I rarely prepare for a DM session if I have to. Sad, but true. :smallfrown:

Is this in reference to Epic-Level play, or do you refer to the predicted length of your thread?:smallconfused:

Does it matter?

UserClone
2008-12-26, 03:56 PM
Absolutely. I'd play in Epic but you couldn't pay me to DM it.

arguskos
2008-12-26, 04:23 PM
Sadly, I perfer DM, if only because I barely even REMEMBER how to be a player anymore! That should tell you how little I am a player.

rubycona
2008-12-26, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty pathetic, I guess... I prefer to DM, because I can't trust DM judgments. I'd probably enjoy being a player again if I got a really good DM for a while, but I've had so many bad experiences with DMs that I honestly don't trust anyone else at all.

For instance, a really bad mistake my first DM made was, when a fellow player went up to this iron golem guard of an ancient temple, and acted out basically utter subservience (he stood up, hands clasped together as if praying, gestured towards the party, bowed at the waist, the Whole works), and was attacked and One Hit Killed because the DM thought "he was wielding his weapon in hand when he approached the golem." As if you can wield a 2-handed giant of a sword while clasping hands as if in prayer.

So, I DM because, I like knowing for sure what's going on, and I like not having to place my game's fun in someone else's hands. As they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself... and that's why I DM. I want my friends and I to have fun... so I do it myself.

brant167
2008-12-26, 05:13 PM
I’ve been gathering kids around to tell ghost stories since I was 5. So, I would definitely say I much prefer dm’ing then I do playing. However dm’ing a epic campaign involves a great deal of work retweaking of almost half the epic rules. So, unless I got along really well with the players, the players didn’t try to munchkin their characters, and I had a permission slip from the love of my life to lose myself a few hours a day to prepping for game then I wouldn’t run one. Its way to much for a dm for a ungrateful group who only cares about how much damage they can inflict. However if all the planets align and the players actually care about game enough to involve themselves then it is extremely rewarding.

Zeful
2008-12-26, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty pathetic, I guess... I prefer to DM, because I can't trust DM judgments. I'd probably enjoy being a player again if I got a really good DM for a while, but I've had so many bad experiences with DMs that I honestly don't trust anyone else at all.

For instance, a really bad mistake my first DM made was,

I got to this part and immeadiatly thought of my first time DMing, which was very bad, because I'd yet to actually play the game, so I didn't know what was going on. I drew up a random dungeon, put on a paper thin plot and let lose. It was a miserable failure.

That said, I'm on the fence. I like telling a good story and I like playing. So I'll choose both.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-26, 06:34 PM
Player, because I've never DM'd. I've got ideas for campaigns, sure. Ridiculously elaborate ideas. I've written about a campaign setting and a half, and know the Forgotten Realms ridiculously well in case I wanted to use a standard setting. But I've never gotten around to actually running a game.

arguskos
2008-12-26, 06:36 PM
Player, because I've never DM'd. I've got ideas for campaigns, sure. Ridiculously elaborate ideas. I've written about a campaign setting and a half, and know the Forgotten Realms ridiculously well in case I wanted to use a standard setting. But I've never gotten around to actually running a game.
Awww... poor Surly. I'd play in your campaign! (you should run a PbP-invite only)