PDA

View Full Version : So I'm considering Dr. Who...

Hzurr
2008-12-26, 05:33 PM
So I've heard lots of great things about Dr. Who, but apparently there are roughly 5 million seasons and 2.8 million different Dr. Whos. I'd like to start watching it (because I've recently started watching more British shows), but I'm not really sure where to start.

Any suggestions on where a good place to begin is?

Darth Mario
2008-12-26, 05:52 PM
I'd start with NuWho Season 1 -- meaning the restart that was done rather recently. If you're looking for DVDs of it, it will be called "Series One".

The show's been running since the late sixties, IIRC. Ten different actors have played the Doctor (two since the reboot), justified by the fact that the Doctor, an alien called a Time Lord, can regenerate his body as a way to cheat death.

I haven't watched any of classic Doctor Who, but the new series is certainly a good place to start, anyways.

Mr. Scaly
2008-12-26, 06:05 PM
Any single episode adventure is a pretty good place to start I think. That way if you don't like it you're not missing out on a part 2.

Starscream
2008-12-27, 03:23 AM
The new series is fantastic, and I'd simply start from the beginning. It's all out on DVD now.

If you like that and want to learn the back story, you can find DVD releases from every era. Back in the original series stories were arranged as serials running multiple episodes, and most DVDs contain one full serial.

As for which ones to check out, that all depends on which Doctor you like. Because of his ability to regenerate he not only has had ten different looks, but ten entirely different personalities as well. Other than being intelligent, brave and heroic, every incarnation has essentially been a completely different character.

1)William Hartnell (1963-1966) - curmudgeony, absent minded grandfather figure.
2)Patrick Troughton (1966-1969) - Bumbling "space hobo" who is smarter than he seems
3)Jon Pertwee (1970-1974) - Dashing, gruff "man of action" type. Dresses like Beethoven
4)Tom Baker (1974-1981) - Considered definitive by many, bohemian alien weirdo.
5)Peter Davison (1981-1984) - Warmhearted, kind, much more "human" than most
6)Colin Baker (1984-1986) - Egotistical, temperamental mad scientist with a fashion sense that must be seen to be believed.
7)Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989) - Seems like a goofball, but much darker and more manipulative underneath
8)Paul McGann (1996) - Only featured in the TV movie. Warm, Chaplinesque personality.
9)Christopher Eccleston (2005) - Somewhat more working class and confrontational than most, and a bit gloomy
10)David Tennant (2005-2010) - Manic, cheerful and comical. Total motormouth and know-it-all. Seriously hilarious. Has a dark side.

And of course each Doctor has had his own companions to travel with, who ranged from universally beloved (Sarah-Jane Smith) to "why couldn't he have died sooner" (Adric).

My personal favorites are Doctors number 2, 4, 7 and 10. But that's just me, they are actually all pretty great. In 45 years the show hasn't yet had a Doctor I didn't genuinely like, which is why I'm dreading Tennant's upcoming departure. Who knows, 11 may be the first one I don't adore.

Been watching the show since I was 5 years old, and haven't regretted a day of it. But be warned, the old series had a budget that wouldn't buy a couple of value meals at Burger King, so the effects can be pretty laughable.

But that's part of the charm. I've always felt that the goofiness of the production is what led to the writers making it such a character driven program, which is why it has lasted so long. Even the new series, which is expensive and looks fantastic, keeps this casual air about it.

Athaniar
2008-12-27, 06:39 AM
Doctor Who is certainly one of the cornerstones of Science Fiction. Me, I watched the run of the Ninth Doctor when it aired on TV, then (much) later I started watching the series from the start on a new science fiction-themed channel. It's just at the beginning of the Fifth Doctor now (so far, my favorite is Fourth). I recommend the series, and suggest you start wherever you feel like, whether it be the old black and white, aluminum foil cybermen, one, or the new, modern, lots of incredibly weird monsters CGI one.

Yulian
2008-12-27, 08:29 PM
Don't forget the movies too. We got to see Peter Cushing as the Doctor, too.

I grew up in the 80s, so I was watching reruns of mostly the 4th Doctor. I have to say, 4 and 9 are my favourites. Nothing against Tennant, he's very entertaining, but I think I related to Eccleston's version a great deal more.

Then again, I am cynical and confrontational.

Frankly, it's a crapshoot. Every incarnation has had episodes that can reach you, make you ponder, double you over with laughter, cower in fear, bring tears to your eyes, or conversely, switch off the channel in boredom or watch in incredulous disbelief that something could be so bad.

Just go to a video store, (or Netflix, or whatever you have) and rent some random episodes from different seasons and Doctors. Odds are very strong you'll find something in there you really, really enjoy. More often than not, the writers tried to be clever as they could, considering the shoestring budgets they were on, but also the near total freedom they enjoyed to write a show about literally almost any time, any place, and any character, fictional or real.

Hmm...oh! Youtube! There are full episodes on Youtube. Go there first. For the current Doctor, I'd have to say that my favourite episode was "Dalek", but you shouldn't watch it first, the point of it would be utterly missed if you did.

- Yulian

T-O-E
2008-12-27, 08:38 PM
Just don't start with 'Love and Monsters.' Whatever you do, don't watch 'Love and Monsters.'
You'll hate it.
Well, unless you're a masochist.

Sneak
2008-12-27, 09:34 PM
I would start with the new series. I haven't watched any of the older Doctors, but I love the new series.

I actually started in a weird way...first I watched New Earth, then I watched Rose, then I watched the one right before New Earth (where Eccleston regenerates into Tennant). So, I didn't really watch any of the first season. I probably should get around to doing that sometime. Anyway, everything makes sense regardless.

Aergoth
2008-12-27, 10:49 PM
It's got a Guinness World Record for Longest Running Science Fiction Show in HISTORY. If you were to walk up to a British 30-40 something and say "Ext-er-min-ate" in a loud, staccatto voice, you'd probably get a "DALEK!"

I'd like to say the Doctor is to intellectual heroes what Kirk is to Action-y Heroes, but I'm not sure if I'd be right there. The Doctor is cooler.

If you want a taste, start with the newer stuff. If you don't mind that the effects aren't as shiny, and most of the monsters are men in suits, tin cans on wheels and things on sticks, you can go back. Oh, and continuity is a little... stupid at times. But at least you get closure from most episodes, which is more than you can say about most recent television. It is typically recommended that you start around the 3rd or 4th Doctors, and work your way up from there. Do NOT watch the Fox (I think.) Movie Dr. Who and the Daleks. While these do feature Peter Cushing (Best known perhaps as Grand Moff Tarkin from Ep. IV) they butcher the story.

Thiel
2008-12-27, 11:06 PM
If you want a taste, start with the newer stuff. If you don't mind that the effects aren't as shiny, and most of the monsters are men in suits, tin cans on wheels and things on sticks, you can go back.
From watching the latest Christmas Special it seems they're bringing men-in-suits. I'm looking at you Cyberman/cat hybrids

Aergoth
2008-12-27, 11:18 PM
So I've heard. I live in Canada, so we don't get the Children in Need stuff, or the Christmas specials (no Sycorax, no Runaway Bride. We miss quite a few firsts and introductions.) Fail.

Bluelantern
2008-12-27, 11:25 PM
I have watched the first five episodes of the new series so far. It is great!

I mean, how can you not love a show with this as a villain (spoiler):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Lady_Cassandra.jpg

Thiel
2008-12-27, 11:25 PM
Well, neither do I. What I do have going for me is a friend in London who owns a DVD recorder and who bothers to send a fresh copy before it has cooled of.

Anyway, I recommend that you watch the new series first, starting with season one episode one. There's some pretty important themes that carries through several, if not all, of the seasons. I recommend that you watch the new one first since it'll into the framework necessary to watch Doctor Who, making you less likely to toss aside the old series because it doesn't live up to modern special effects standards.

Starscream
2008-12-28, 12:45 AM
I once read a webcomic in which a Jehovah's Witness knocked on a sci-fi geek's door and asked him if he had been saved.

The guy responded that he was a worshiper of Doctor Who. The conversation followed something like this:

Witness: Isn't that a television show?
Guy: No, it's a way of life.
Witness: But it isn't real!
Guy: Well, at least I have video footage of my savior. All you have is a book of fanfic.

They then compare the various stories in the bible with the events of the television series, with the Doctor's deeds sounding rather more impressive.

Witness: But my savior came back from the dead!
Guy: Please, when he does so eight more times then he can talk.

I'm probably missing stuff. I can't find the strip in question, and don't even remember the title of the webcomic. Anyone know what it might have been?

But the moral is: someone needs to homebrew a Doctor inspired deity for D&D!

dish
2008-12-28, 03:27 AM
That ^^ sounds like Home on the Strange. Hold on a sec and I'll check.

Edit: Yep. Here you go (http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=211). And the second episode (http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=212).

T-O-E
2008-12-28, 12:24 PM
I have watched the first five episodes of the new series so far. It is great!

I mean, how can you not love a show with this as a villain (spoiler):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Lady_Cassandra.jpg

Really, you like her? I loathe her.

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-28, 12:37 PM
Really, you like her? I loathe her.

Isn't that the point of a villain? :smallbiggrin:

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-28, 12:56 PM
Isn't that the point of a villain? :smallbiggrin:

Eh, I always liked villains that I could sympathize with, or at least respect. Now; The Master, (Old series) he was a great villain. Could pull of the Evil Beard quite well in his earlier incarnations as well.

I quite dislike the new Doctor Who series. Quite dislike it indeed. It does have its good points, but nothing will ever beat Tom Baker as the Doctor IMO.

Starscream
2008-12-28, 02:53 PM
Edit: Yep. Here you go (http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=211). And the second episode (http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=212).

Thank you very much!

T-O-E
2008-12-28, 03:26 PM
Eh, I always liked villains that I could sympathize with, or at least respect. Now; The Master, (Old series) he was a great villain. Could pull of the Evil Beard quite well in his earlier incarnations as well.

I quite dislike the new Doctor Who series. Quite dislike it indeed. It does have its good points, but nothing will ever beat Tom Baker as the Doctor IMO.

Yeah, and the writing can be extremely forced.

factotum
2008-12-28, 05:04 PM
Yeah, and the writing can be extremely forced.

Depends who's writing it. Russell T Davies generally isn't much cop (still don't know how he got his awesome reputation as a writer, given the evidence of new Who), but others do a much better job--especially Paul Cornell ("The Family of Blood") and Steven Moffat ("Blink", "The Girl in the Fireplace", etc).

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-28, 06:37 PM
And let us not forget the truly awful 4th doctor episodes.

Aidan305
2008-12-28, 07:10 PM
Some of us like the fourth Doctor.

turkishproverb
2008-12-28, 07:41 PM
I'd start with NuWho Season 1 -- meaning the restart that was done rather recently. If you're looking for DVDs of it, it will be called "Series One".

The show's been running since the late sixties, IIRC. Ten different actors have played the Doctor (two since the reboot), justified by the fact that the Doctor, an alien called a Time Lord, can regenerate his body as a way to cheat death.

I haven't watched any of classic Doctor Who, but the new series is certainly a good place to start, anyways.

Agreed on starting point. Progress through the first series of the new show (the british have series instead of seasons) then go to 2 and so on.

Past that I'd track down the best of Oldwho story by story, starting with "The Beginning collection".

1)William Hartnell (1963-1966) - curmudgeony, absent minded grandfather figure.
2)Patrick Troughton (1966-1969) - Bumbling "space hobo" who is smarter than he seems
3)Jon Pertwee (1970-1974) - Dashing, gruff "man of action" type. Dresses like Beethoven
4)Tom Baker (1974-1981) - Considered definitive by many, bohemian alien weirdo.
5)Peter Davison (1981-1984) - Warmhearted, kind, much more "human" than most
6)Colin Baker (1984-1986) - Egotistical, temperamental mad scientist with a fashion sense that must be seen to be believed.
7)Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989) - Seems like a goofball, but much darker and more manipulative underneath
8)Paul McGann (1996) - Only featured in the TV movie. Warm, Chaplinesque personality.
9)Christopher Eccleston (2005) - Somewhat more working class and confrontational than most, and a bit gloomy
10)David Tennant (2005-2010) - Manic, cheerful and comical. Total motormouth and know-it-all. Seriously hilarious. Has a dark side.

And of course each Doctor has had his own companions to travel with, who ranged from universally beloved (Sarah-Jane Smith) to "why couldn't he have died sooner" (Adric).

My personal favorites are Doctors number 2, 4, 7 and 10. But that's just me, they are actually all pretty great. In 45 years the show hasn't yet had a Doctor I didn't genuinely like, which is why I'm dreading Tennant's upcoming departure. Who knows, 11 may be the first one I don't adore.

Just wanted to add that 8 has gotten significantly more material through Audio dramas and such than he got on TV. 5, 6, and 7 have also gotten new stories that way, starring the original actors and actresses in new tales.

And adric was far from as bad as people say.

My favorite doctors currently are 8, 9, 1, and 5, but All I've seen I've loved. Alot's going to depend on your tatstes there.

Starscream
2008-12-28, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to add that 8 has gotten significantly more material through Audio dramas and such than he got on TV. 5, 6, and 7 have also gotten new stories that way, starring the original actors and actresses in new tales.

Oh, of course. Those plays really salvaged the character for me, as the tv movie was lackluster. He does a great job. 6 likewise benefited from them, as we get a chance to see how he would have developed if he hadn't been screwed by the network.

And adric was far from as bad as people say.

I don't hate him, I just think we was a bit of a snot. Then again, a lot of people don't like Mel, and I adored her when I was a kid. She was sweet and spunky, and cute without being blatant eye candy like Peri or Leela. And she had a scream so powerful that it would actually cause my dog to flee the room.

Seriously, if they ever make a movie about Black Canary or Siryn, Bonnie Langford must provide the scream. The sound guys won't even have to alter it.

Crank up the volume and prepare for your earwax to melt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8928yni-Cl0

turkishproverb
2008-12-28, 08:14 PM
Oh, of course. Those plays really salvaged the character for me, as the tv movie was lackluster. He does a great job. 6 likewise benefited from them, as we get a chance to see how he would have developed if he hadn't been screwed by the network.

Yea, how do you think 8 became my favorite doc? Still waiting on Jubilee for 6 though...

I don't hate him, I just think we was a bit of a snot. Then again, a lot of people don't like Mel, and I adored her when I was a kid. She was sweet and spunky, and cute without being blatant eye candy like Peri or Leela. And she had a scream so powerful that it would actually cause my dog to flee the room.

Seriously, if they ever make a movie about Black Canary or Siryn, Bonnie Langford must provide the scream. The sound guys won't even have to alter it.

Crank up the volume and prepare for your earwax to melt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8928yni-Cl0

Oh, lord, you had to bring back the scream.....

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-28, 08:31 PM
And let us not forget the truly awful 4th doctor episodes.

Blasphemy! :smalltongue:

Honestly; I find the well made episodes in terms of effects and writing amusing and great fun, and the ones with terrible effects and such (Particularly monsters.) to be endearing in their own way. This doesn't hold true for all of them, of course, and it holds true for significantly less from other Doctors.
"Rocks!"
Caveat: The Green Death [William Hartnell] features monsters made from green condoms. When you rewatch it, and the maggoty thing is crawling towards the unaware companion, and the dramatic lighting and camera angles have got started, and you realise that it's a decorated condom, it makes it less scary, but more hilarious.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-29, 10:29 AM
Some of us like the fourth Doctor.I meant the 4th doctor episdoes that where awful, not that all 4th doctor episodes where awful. Doctor 4 is far from my favorite but there are both good and bad episodes for every doctor.

Aergoth
2008-12-29, 02:19 PM
I'd have to say they've all had their fair share of crud. The shame is, a lot of the early Who has been irrevocably lost to the ravages of time, the elements and general lack of thinking (oh, and moneygrubbing). Regardless, I rank the NuWho as getting better as the series # increases. With the exception of the season finales of 2 (with the Cybermen V. Daleks ) and 4, which frankly was a COMPLETE COP-OUT!

High Points for me include.
The episode with Shakespeare (that was brilliant)
Girl in the Fireplace (Very good.)
The one set during the blitz (Are you my mummy?)
Blink (Frightening. Very much so.)
Silence in the Library (Epic. Because, it's a planet sized library.)
The Doctor's Daughter (...w00t.)
Most of Series 4 (especially Turn Left, and the new episode with the Ood)

AKA_Bait
2008-12-29, 02:50 PM
With the exception of the season finales of 2 (with the Cybermen V. Daleks )

Really? I thought that was awesome.

Cybermen struck me as lame human looking versions of Daleks from the first time I saw them. Those two were just begging for a confrontation.

Plus:
Dalek Sek: You are superior in one way. You are better at dying.

Was just priceless.

For the record I came in with NuWho and have seen a little else. The Christopher Eccleston is my favorite, possibly as a result. Tennant I felt is doing a good job (I'm just about done with season 3 now) but it took him some time to grow into the role.

I've seen a little of the 4th doctor and found it depends much on the episode if I enjoyed it or not. Robots of Death couldn't keep my attention but I liked the Armageddon Factor, for example.

I saw part of Jon Pertwee's and I had to shut it off after 5 minutes or so. The film quality was noticably bad and everything about it just felt incredibly dated.

Jorkens
2008-12-29, 04:11 PM
Blink (Frightening. Very much so.)
I haven't seen much Who, but this is one of the best and cleverest bits of horror sci fi TV I've ever seen. It's really fantastic.

dralasite
2009-01-01, 03:54 PM
I haven't seen much Who, but this is one of the best and cleverest bits of horror sci fi TV I've ever seen. It's really fantastic.

I have begun watching that series and I'm positively delighted to see a sci-fi hero fighting monsters and solving mysteries without resorting immediately to big guns and explosives. Even better, he considers books as weapons and meant it as source of usefull knowledge, not just as handy heavy concussing things...

:smallsmile:

Silent Hunter
2009-01-02, 11:48 AM
If you're going to watch the classic period, bear in mind that a lot of stories from the First and Second Doctor are incomplete.

If you want to watch without sudden jumps, start with "Spearhead From Space", Pertwee's opener.

turkishproverb
2009-01-02, 03:38 PM
If you're going to watch the classic period, bear in mind that a lot of stories from the First and Second Doctor are incomplete.

If you want to watch without sudden jumps, start with "Spearhead From Space", Pertwee's opener.

and be prepared for alot of DVD waiting. I still recommend beginnings either way.

So, in other news, less than 20 hours until the new doctor is announced.

curtis
2009-01-02, 05:31 PM
So, in other news, less than 20 hours until the new doctor is announced.

WOOT!

I am, and will always be, a Tennant-worshipper. Admittedly though, a haven't seen much of the classic series.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-02, 06:24 PM
So, in other news, less than 20 hours until the new doctor is announced.REALLY? Well well! No one can top 1 5 or 6 however.

turkishproverb
2009-01-02, 10:30 PM
REALLY? Well well! No one can top 1 5 or 6 however.

Six on screen or overall? Either way I'm inclined to disagree, but one opinion of the two is forgivable.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-03, 04:57 AM
Six on screen or overall? Either way I'm inclined to disagree, but one opinion of the two is forgivable.Overall, but it is the fact that he was so different that I liked so much. I am not a fan of 4, a fact that makes me a heretic in the eyes of many, and so I know that my views do not gel with yours.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-03, 11:04 AM
Christopher Eccleston is my preference. I look forward to seeing them replace David Tennant.

turkishproverb
2009-01-03, 03:14 PM
Overall, but it is the fact that he was so different that I liked so much. I am not a fan of 4, a fact that makes me a heretic in the eyes of many, and so I know that my views do not gel with yours.

Four's not one of my faves either, though I don't think he's bad. My current run for tops is probably (In no particular order) 5, 8, and then its a tie between 1 and 9.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-03, 03:47 PM
Doctor Eleven is Matt Smith. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4092973/Matt-Smith-announced-as-new-Doctor-Who.html)

Corvus
2009-01-03, 08:18 PM
I'll reserve judgment, but he just doesn't look like the Doctor to me. Are they aiming for a metro Doctor?

turkishproverb
2009-01-03, 11:55 PM
I'll reserve judgment, but he just doesn't look like the Doctor to me. Are they aiming for a metro Doctor?

The problem is, he looks too much like the doctor for his own good. Specifically, he looks like Tennant to too high a degree for the doctor following right after him.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-04, 12:44 AM
I've watched a couple episodes of the new series, and I like it a lot...but the DVD collections are so...damn...EXPENSIVE!!! I don't know how they plan on selling TV series on DVD's if they make the whole damn collection $100 or more!

turkishproverb
2009-01-04, 12:47 AM
I've watched a couple episodes of the new series, and I like it a lot...but the DVD collections are so...damn...EXPENSIVE!!! I don't know how they plan on selling TV series on DVD's if they make the whole damn collection $100 or more!

You can get singles of the first series/season for less. Past that, watch out for sales, you can get most series/seasons for under seventy.

pearl jam
2009-01-04, 04:52 AM
I've seen all the episodes with Peter Davidson, the 5th doctor, as well as a few of Baker and maybe one other Doctor before him, as well as a fair amount of the 6th doctor, but nothing later than that.

I enjoyed the Davidson doctor and would certainly recommend those episodes.