PDA

View Full Version : Vengeance Incarnate [3.5, Base Class, PEACH]

Kura
2008-12-26, 06:37 PM
Alright, first of all, this is not only my homebrew submitted, but my first post, so YAY. :smallbiggrin: The basic point behind this class is to deal damage back on the opponents, and I am almost certain it has balance issues. I basicly made it, because one of my players always used a barbarian, and I was sick of hearing the words "I rage." Feel free to tear it apart, god knows I have, and I know it needs to be reworded, but I'm terrible at wording mechanics. :smallfrown:

Vengeance Incarnate
The Vengeance Incarnates are warriors who relish in returning a foes own strengths against them. They come from all steps in society, though usually the lower side. Whether they seek to give the wicked a taste of their own vile
brew, or to be the wicked showing the righteous the true power of their own blades, they are a force to be reckoned with. Able to take a huge amount of damage, they are true tanks on a battlefield.

Adventures: They seek to use their abilities to the fullest. Wherever there is a battle, a Vengeance Incarnate shall not be too far behind.
Characteristics: They take damage, and use it in some way. Usually in the form of direct damage, but other ways as well. For instance increasing ability scores temporarily, or other uses of the stored power, all of their most impressive abilities stem from taking damage.

Alignment: The training necessary to achieve this type of ability is great, so most follow the path of law, however they have been known to spring up even among the wild races, so Vengeance Incarnates can be of any alignment.

Religion: Most follow some god of power, or retribution, however they don’t have to follow any particular religion.
Background: Vengeance Incarnate know pain in all forms. Usually having a rather rough childhood, where they had to first develop a tolerance for the agony that they’d later learn to wield. Some learn by themselves how to return pain, normally the first steps are becoming rather witty against their bullies, or turning their anger into more power, but the wider range meet a traveling master of the art, or find an academy to learn their ferocious trade.
Races: Any, but the greatest numbers stem from half-orcs and dwarfs.

Role: Front line solders. They have to be able to take damage in order to truly become useful, thus they rarely use ranged weaponry, or learn to cast any sort of arcane or divine spell. Preferring to more finely hone their bodies for their next encounter.

Game Rule Information

Abilities: All of the Vengeance Incarnates abilities are based around constitutions, as they have to be able to take the damage in order to dish it back out, and to deal with holding the stored energy within them. They are frontline fighters, so strength is also important as is dexterity as helps armor reduces their class abilities.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12
The Vengeance Incarnates class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha),
Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st lvl: (2+ Int Modifier)x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 2+ Int Modifier

Vengeance Incarnate
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Revenge Points, Revenge Strike

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|I Shall not Fall

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Toughness

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Tolerance (DR2/-)

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Fear of the Unstoppable (20/shaken)

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Improved Toughness

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Vitality of the Spiteful

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Tolerance (DR 4/-)

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+7|Strength of the Betrayed

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+8|-

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+8|Fear of the Unstoppable (30/frighten)

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+9|Scars Unforgiven

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+9|Tolerance (DR 6/-)

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+10|-

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+10|-

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+11|Fear of the Unstoppable (40/panicked)

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+11|-

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+12|Tolerance (DR 8/-), Avatar of Vengeance[/table]

Class Features

Revenge Points: A Vengeance Incarnate stores the damage it takes. It can store one revenge point per point of damage to its hit points it receives, subdual damage does not add to this total. A Vengeance Incarnate can store 5+Constitution modifier points of damage per level of Vengeance Incarnate. A Vengeance Incarnate can only maintain stored RP until he rests. Armor interferes with the ability to store Revenge Points, and as such, they receive a negative modifier equal to the armor check penalty from all damage taken for the purpose of storing Revenge Points. For Example, if a Vengeance Incarnate receives 10 points of damage, and is in Full Plate, he receives only 4 Revenge Points. He still takes 10 points of damage. In addition, any damage ignored due to damage reduction, does not add towards his total Revenge Points.
Revenge Points is abbreviated RP.

Revenge Strike: A Vengeance Incarnate can return the damage that is done to it. By spending 5 RP, it can add 1 point to any damage roll made with a physical attack. The Vengeance Incarnate can spend any multiple of 5 RP on this skill, up to 5x1/2 Vengeance Incarnate Level rounded down +constitution modifier, minimum 5.
At 10th level, the ration improves to 5 RP/2 points of damage.

I Shall not Fall: At level 3 a Vengeance Incarnate can spend 2 RP/hit point in order to heal damage, up to a maximum equal to his (Vengeance Incarnate level+ constitution modifier)x2 per day, and it need not be all used at once. This ability is a standard action

Bonus Feat: At level 4 a Vengeance Incarnate gains Toughness as a bonus feat.

Tolerance: At 5th level a vengeance incarnate’s pain tolerance grows to the point where he can ignore a fraction of it. He gains Damage reduction 2/-. Every 5 levels thereafter (10, 15, 20, etc.) he gains an additional damage reduction 2/-

Fear of the Unstoppable: At level six, when a Vengeance Incarnate absorbs 20 RP in one attack, and survives, he can choose to give up these points immediately, in order to make an attempt to strike fear into the heart of his opponent. The opponent must role a DC 10+1/2 the Vengeance Incarnate lvl+ Con Modifier, or become shaken. At level 13 the ability improves so that if the Vengeance Incarnate takes 30 points and survives the target is frightened, and at level 18 it improves again so that if the Vengeance Incarnate takes 40 points the opponent fails it becomes panicked. You may opt to use any lower version of this ability at the proper cost.

Bonus Feat: At level 8 a Vengeance Incarnate gains Improved Toughness as a bonus feat.

Fortitude of the Spiteful: At 9th level a Vengeance Incarnate can spend 10 RP as a swift action in order to increase his Constitution score by 4 points. This ability can be used once per day, and lasts 1 minute x Vengeance Incarnate Level.

Strength of the Betrayed: At level 11 a Vengeance Incarnate can spend 15 RP as a swift action in order to increase his strength by one point per point of constitution modifier. This ability is useable once per day per point of constitution modifier.

Scars Unforgiven: From Vengeance Incarnate level 14 on, any damage that is ignored due to a Vengeance Incarnate’s Tolerance ability, is still converted into Revenge Points. Any other kind of damage reduction given to the Vengeance Incarnate is still ignored, such as that from barbarian class levels.

Spirit of Vengeance: At 20th level a Vengeance Incarnate can spend 50 RP in order to transform himself into an Avatar of Vengeance as a move action. He and his equipment grow one size category, and he receives a +6 bonus to Strength and Con, and he gains 5d12 temporary hit points, he may choose to heal these hit points instead. In addition the damage reduction granted by the Tolerance Class ability is doubled. The bonuses to strength and constitution stack with those of Vitality of the Spiteful and Strength of the Betrayed.