PDA

View Full Version : Happy Boxing Day!

TARINunit9
2008-12-26, 07:23 PM
Now that Christmas is over, I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy Boxing Day!

http://beconfused.com/images/2007/12/Happy-boxing-day.jpg

T-O-E
2008-12-26, 07:35 PM
Merry Boxing Day!

Christmas is the Christmas Eve of Boxing Day. And Christmas is the Boxing Day of Christmas Eve.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-27, 09:04 AM
Umm... What's Boxing Day all about? It's on every calendar I have, but it just says (Canada). :smallconfused:

At least with Cinco de Mayo (Mexico), you have an excuse to get drunk on Corona beer and tequila... :smalltongue: What do you get out of Boxing Day?

Kaelaroth
2008-12-27, 09:22 AM
Boxing Day is British, the Canadians have it, what with Britland having had Canad(i)a. It's traditionally when employers would give employees bonuses and payments, I believe, and is now a semi-holiday in Britain, at least, where typically most newspapers continue not to publish, and most people still don't work, et cetera, but some things resume.

Ashtar
2008-12-27, 09:22 AM
Originally wealthy home-owners would give gifts (boxed up) to their servants who took care of all the Christmas duties, as a way of thanking them for working through Christmas.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-27, 09:51 AM
Happy tweede kerstdag!(Second day of christmas), which is what we dutch celebrate.(bwahahahaha, we have more christmas then you Americans, bwahahahaha):smalltongue:

dish
2008-12-27, 09:54 AM
Christmas boxes were traditionally given to any deserving poor people, but yes, specifically to household servants. As usual, wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day) knows everything.
Nowadays you're supposed to give tips to the postman, paper-boy, milkman, dustbin men, and any other people who deliver regular services to your house on boxing day.

Thes Hunter
2008-12-27, 01:15 PM
I had a lovely boxing day touring the Starbucks of Canada.

Though I didn't get any tips, large or small. :smallsigh:

Felixaar
2008-12-27, 04:52 PM
On Boxing Day, it's completely legal to bare knuckle box random strangers.

Cause if you're not mad enough to bareknuckle box; then you're not mad.

Om
2008-12-27, 04:56 PM
What do you get out of Boxing Day?Another day off. Although in Ireland we celebrate it as St Stephen's Day

de-trick
2008-12-27, 08:12 PM
sait hoilday, but happy day after boxing day.