PDA

View Full Version : John Bellairs fans itP?

Occasional Sage
2008-12-26, 09:47 PM
I read (and reread many times) several of Bellairs' books when i was a kid: The Curse of the Blue Figurine; The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt; and The Dark Secret of Weatherend are names that ring bells.

I don't have any of the books at this point (20 or 25 years later), but remember loving them and want to introduce my nephew to them. I don't know how the series differ, though, so it's tough to tell which I should be picking up. Does anybody else have fond memories that might cast some light on this?

LordOfXoriat
2008-12-27, 10:01 AM
-edit_deleted-

Occasional Sage
2008-12-28, 01:07 AM
Johnny was the hero of most of the ones I read too; The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt was always my favorite.

Do you remember what made each series different? That's mostly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind the excuse to wallow in YA fiction for a while though....

Atomsized
2008-12-28, 06:02 PM
That's funny, I just returned 3 of his books to the library today....

Anyways, I believe that yes, there were 3 series. One had the kid named Johnny Dixon and the rest that LOX mentioned, the second one (note that i'm not actually listing them in chronological order) had a person named Anthony (whom i can't seem to remember very well), and the 3rd had Lewis Barnavelt who is living with his uncle and his neighbor is an old magician lady whom i can't seem to remember. The House With A Clock in its Walls was Bellairs first book starring Lewis.