PDA

View Full Version : Frustration

Kris Strife
2008-12-27, 10:55 AM
I'm having second thoughts about joining in a PbP game a friend of mine is DMing. Every time I make a chars fluff and I'm almost done with the crunch, he tells me no. Not for rules or balance but 'That concept doesn't make sense to me' or 'Warmages are too military for my taste'. I don't have a rl group I could join, and I've been looking for a PbP group since April, and this is the first one I've found so I'm hesitant to quit.
Any advice on how to not offend him or make a char I like and not get splatted?

Ricky S
2008-12-27, 11:05 AM
-Find out why he doesnt like it
-create a simpler character
-streamline your crunch and fluff so there is no confusion as to what you mean
-Change class
-ASk him what would be acceptable and then work from there

UserClone
2008-12-27, 11:06 AM
We'd be better able to help if we knew what he was looking for/the flavor of your DM's game. Care to post a link to the thread?

Drascin
2008-12-27, 11:07 AM
Well, tell us what your previous concepts were, and what reason he gave you for each one. Maybe among all of us we can understand where he's coming from and give you ideas. A link to his campaign opener would also be good.

In any case, do ask him, point blank, just what kind of character he was expecting.

Also, if you want PbP and are starting to get frustrated with this one... you should try the games section of this site, or plothook.net, or such other places. There are a lot of games around - chances are, there will be one whose writeup makes you go "hey, that's interesting!".

EDIT: Damn Helpful Ninjas!

Adumbration
2008-12-27, 11:08 AM
Ricky pretty much nailed it - my personal favorite is asking him what is acceptable.

If you're looking for good PbP games - and you're not here already - I suggest you have a look at this forums' section devoted to it.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-12-27, 11:16 AM
Come up with a pile of concepts, run them by him one after the other (shouldn't take 5 minutes, that), then build the character.

Kris Strife
2008-12-27, 11:42 AM
Its 3.5 exalted campaign, starting at 5th, lots of evil outsiders with undead next. The rest of the party are a cleric/warlock, druid, fighter, barbarian and a paladin. My first idea was a paladin going grey guard (that would cause conflict with the other paladin), a half dragon DFA (concept doesnt make sense) and a fighter/warmage (too military). Hes suggested a hellbred and a duskblade. (I dont even know which books, hellbred didnt intrest me at all.

Kris Strife
2008-12-27, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, PSPs are stingy on the character limit.

I've had an entry on the looking to join a game thread here since April and have yet to get a single response from it.

the game is at http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisply.php?f=12390

Murphy80
2008-12-27, 01:52 PM
Duskblades are in PHB2.

It might be my computer, but your link doesn't seem to work.

Looking at what characters are already in the group, your dm might be trying to get you to play a mage and/or rogue type.

Kris Strife
2008-12-27, 04:22 PM
Duskblades are in PHB2.

It might be my computer, but your link doesn't seem to work.

Looking at what characters are already in the group, your dm might be trying to get you to play a mage and/or rogue type.

Yeah, hence why I wanted to play warmage. Before anyone says he might want me to play a wizard, this DM thinks monks are a strong class.

RTGoodman
2008-12-27, 04:47 PM
I've had an entry on the looking to join a game thread here since April and have yet to get a single response from it.

the game is at http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisply.php?f=12390

Well, that first bit is part of your problem. Instead of just waiting for a PbP DM to get in touch with you, just go to the recruiting sub-forum and look for a game that interests you. I know I've never looked through any threads to find players, I just let them find me.

And yeah, your link isn't working - I think you've tried to link us to your list of characters, rather than an actual sheet itself.

As far as a character suggestion, how about a Beguiler (from PHB2, since I assume you'll have access to if he wants you to play a Duskblade). It's basically a Wizard/Rogue class, but more awesome.

kamikasei
2008-12-27, 04:55 PM
And yeah, your link isn't working - I think you've tried to link us to your list of characters, rather than an actual sheet itself.

There was a typo. This (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12390) should work.

Kris Strife
2008-12-27, 07:08 PM
There was a typo. This (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12390) should work.

Thanks. Sorry, no copy paste function on here.

And if I wanted to play a skill monkey with illusion and enchantment magic, I'd have chosen bard. Also, I dont have a PH2, so the classes from there arent good choices, since I couldnt level up on my own, and I prefer the more destructive spells, sub optimal though they are.

BloodyAngel
2008-12-27, 07:22 PM
I'd suggest you just find a new game. There are plenty on here, and new ones open up all the time. It sounds like your DM is kinda inflexible here. Too military? What the crap? You could change the fluff all you like on that one. Hunt around the GitP forums and I'm sure you'll find something.

Prometheus
2008-12-27, 08:04 PM
Yeah, a DM that seems too picky about his characters is one that does not care about his player's wants and needs and is therefore not the best DM. If you're okay with that and still want to get in because he is that much of a friend, go with the other poster's suggestions. If not, find a new PbP game and be whatever you want to be.

Thiel
2008-12-27, 08:26 PM
Wee' if he don't like warmages, try playing a standard wizard or sorcerer. They still make things go boom, but they don't have the entire military theme going against them.

Adumbration
2008-12-28, 07:15 AM
Well, that first bit is part of your problem. Instead of just waiting for a PbP DM to get in touch with you, just go to the recruiting sub-forum and look for a game that interests you. I know I've never looked through any threads to find players, I just let them find me.

This. I've played here on 4-5 games, and on none of them invited me. You really should go to the Recruitment subsection here.

only1doug
2008-12-28, 12:48 PM
Its 3.5 exalted campaign, starting at 5th, lots of evil outsiders with undead next. The rest of the party are a cleric/warlock, druid, fighter, barbarian and a paladin. My first idea was a paladin going grey guard (that would cause conflict with the other paladin), a half dragon DFA (concept doesnt make sense) and a fighter/warmage (too military). Hes suggested a hellbred and a duskblade. (I dont even know which books, hellbred didnt intrest me at all.

Duskblades are fairly cool, Full BAB and up to 5th level casting. could be worth cross-classing for 3 levels of swashbuckler to give +int bonus to damage with light weapons (while wearing nothing heavier than light armour).

Whatever happens, whatever you end up playing, Have fun.