PDA

View Full Version : Monkey's Grip. Where is it!!??

Frog Dragon
2008-12-27, 12:37 PM
So I have a build. One that needs Monkey's grip. And now I can't find where it's in!! I've been looking for hours now and i can't find it so if someone could direct me to the book and the page I'd be grateful. I swear I have seen it somewhere.

Also my library is. All core. Completes: Scoundrel and Adventurer. PHBII and Arms and Equipment Guide.
I swear I've seen it somewhere.

esorscher
2008-12-27, 12:38 PM
Complete Warrior.

Also, Crystalkeep has a pdf of all the feats.

The Glyphstone
2008-12-27, 12:44 PM
Just be prepared for the legions of people swarming you and warning that Monkey Grip is a bad idea unless your build is already Large/Huge...

Cool feat? Most definitely. Good feat? Rarely.

Frog Dragon
2008-12-27, 12:53 PM
It's gestalt so stuff is broken anyway. I don't see how much it could hurt me.

Siegel
2008-12-27, 12:54 PM
Hey Monkey Grip is a bad idea unless your build is already Large/Huge...

The Glyphstone
2008-12-27, 01:32 PM
It's gestalt so stuff is broken anyway. I don't see how much it could hurt me.

Just as long as you're taking it for style/flavor and not "OMG WEAPON SIZE DAMAGE = MORE I WINZ CUZ IM CLOUD!!1".:smallcool: - which in Gestalt, you actually can do without a severe loss of character power, since you've got the other half of your progression to cover your losses. Gestalt will indeed be broken by default, but Monkey Grip isn't a class power choice so much as a feat/attack option choice.

The mathematical basis, really, is that for any character smaller than Large, you'll always get more reliable bonus damage by Power Attacking for 2 points instead of Monkey Gripping a larger weapon.

Eldariel
2008-12-27, 01:32 PM
The principal problem with Monkey Grip is the -2 penalty. That basically means you could just take that much penalty with Power Attack instead and end up better off. Suggested fix? Remove the -2 penalty, and allow Monkey Grip to stack with another temporary size increase (such as Strongarm Bracers or Powerful Build; feats in general should stack since they present a much larger investment than gold investment as they tend to open entirely new avenues while gold is limited to improving your existing abilities). There's actually a precedent for removing the -2 penalty in Strongarm Bracers. Which still aren't broken by any means.

Frog Dragon
2008-12-27, 01:36 PM
Just as long as you're taking it for style/flavor and not "OMG WEAPON SIZE DAMAGE = MORE I WINZ CUZ IM CLOUD!!1".:smallcool: - which in Gestalt, you actually can do without a severe loss of character power, since you've got the other half of your progression to cover your losses. Gestalt will indeed be broken by default, but Monkey Grip isn't a class power choice so much as a feat/attack option choice.

The mathematical basis, really, is that for any character smaller than Large, you'll always get more reliable bonus damage by Power Attacking for 2 points instead of Monkey Gripping a larger weapon.
I just wan't it for the image of a skinny small sized creature wielding a big phallic sword meant for a medium sized creature. Basically it's for the lulz.

Darrin
2008-12-27, 03:04 PM
Complete Warrior.

Technically, there's a newer version in Weapons of Legacy that would supercede Complete Warrior, but I have no idea if they actually changed any of the wording.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-27, 04:01 PM
Technically, there's a newer version in Weapons of Legacy that would supercede Complete Warrior, but I have no idea if they actually changed any of the wording.

Here's what it says in WoL:

NEW FEAT: MONKEY GRIP
You are able to use a larger weapon than other people
your size.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category
larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack roll,
but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon
does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a
one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a
two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not
have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat,
it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield
a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger twohanded
weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger
weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with
a double weapon.

Normal: You can use a melee weapon one size category
larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack
roll, and the amount of effort it takes to use the weapon
increases. A larger light weapon is considered a onehanded
weapon, a larger one-handed weapon is considered
a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger
two-handed weapon at all.

Alaxi
2008-12-28, 03:50 AM
Complete Warrior.

It may be an older version......3.0 rules and all, but that feat is also in the Sword and Fist supplemental.

dariathalon
2008-12-28, 04:40 AM
It may be an older version......3.0 rules and all, but that feat is also in the Sword and Fist supplemental.

You're right that is an older version and completely different than the current version. It is actually one of the most drastically changed feats in the 3.0-3.5 conversion.

Alaxi
2009-02-24, 09:34 PM
You're right that is an older version and completely different than the current version. It is actually one of the most drastically changed feats in the 3.0-3.5 conversion.

Holy crap. I understand now. I always thought it was different in Sword and Fist, but apparently I was thinking the Complete Warrior way the entire time. LOL

enygmatic_me
2009-02-24, 11:48 PM
Have you consider buying Strongarm Bracers instead?

The Glyphstone
2009-02-24, 11:51 PM
*Activate Sun Domain*

*Empowered Turn Undead on thread*

arguskos
2009-02-24, 11:53 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Really guys, read the date please. :smallwink:

kyoten
2009-02-24, 11:54 PM
If i'm not mistaken Weapons of Legacy is 3.0 and Complete Warrior is 3.5.

Thus that would mean that the Complete Warrior version is the correct one. Unless of course it gets house ruled otherwise.

arguskos
2009-02-25, 12:01 AM
Nope, Weapons of Legacy is 3.5, and dates from AFTER C. Warrior in fact.