PDA

View Full Version : Which DS title should I get?

Sewer_Bandito
2008-12-27, 02:11 PM
So I got 50 bucks from my grandma for christmas, and I think I want to buy a DS game with it. Right now I'm debating between Chrono Cross, FF IV, and Rinal Fantasy Renevant Wings. Thoughts?

Oregano
2008-12-27, 02:22 PM
you mean Chrono Trigger right? well FFIV is fantastic, and so is Chrono Trigger(apparently) but Revanent Wings isn't as good. So get CT or FFIV, I can't help you choose between them.

Dairun Cates
2008-12-27, 02:48 PM
I heard Revenant Wings was meh.

I'd say go Chrono Trigger just because it's one of Squares few non-FF RPGs, and it's one of the best ever.

FFIV is definitely still good though. It's just you'll probably have a little more fun with Chrono Trigger if you're a more modern Square fan.

Fawkes
2008-12-27, 03:13 PM
If you've never played Chrono Trigger, do yourself a favor and go get it.

Ikialev
2008-12-27, 05:20 PM
Chrono Trigger, just because you will be another person which I envy and I can then make plans to kill you at night...

My copy doesn't work.

The Extinguisher
2008-12-27, 05:32 PM
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who have played Chrono Trigger, and those who have not. Since you are asking us this and haven't rushed out to buy it yet makes me assume you are one of the second group. In which case, you must play Chrono Trigger.

Easy solution. All paths lead to Chrono Trigger.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-12-27, 06:47 PM
Chrono Trigger it is then. I beat Chrono Cross for playstation (which is probably why I typed cross and not trigger) and vaguely remeber my brothers playing chrono trigger on the computer (I don't know how they did that) but have never played it myself.

Thanks for the advice team.

Chrono Trigger, just because you will be another person which I envy and I can then make plans to kill you at night...

My copy doesn't work.

That sucks dude. please don't kill me.

Talkkno
2008-12-27, 09:34 PM

My copy doesn't work.

Plot was meh,
IMO, Time travel=fail.

Burley
2008-12-29, 08:57 AM
I heard Revenant Wings was meh.

I'd say go Chrono Trigger just because it's one of Squares few non-FF RPGs, and it's one of the best ever.

FFIV is definitely still good though. It's just you'll probably have a little more fun with Chrono Trigger if you're a more modern Square fan.

Yes, Revenent Wings is meh. It's worse than meh, really. It's like playing the original warcraft, except you have no time to build forces before you have to fight things. It'll give you maybe thirty seconds to build up an entire bloody army, one unit at a time, before the obnoxiously powerful group of bad guys decend on you. It's very similar to it's origin FFXII, in that if you take one step too far in the world without being significantly high level, you die.

Chrono Trigger is great. The story is a bit aged, but the combat is fun and exciting, involving actual thought, which can be rare. (Also, it IS a Final Fantasy game. It just isn't called "Final Fantasy." Chrono Cross/Trigger, Seiken Densetsu and Kingdom Hearts are Final Fantasy games, and I consider them more cannon than anything with a... erhem... "Ring Battle System" regardless of title.)
The Chrono Trigger port on DS has a new Monster Trainer side-thingy. Usually, I feel a deep hatred for games with a "monster trainer side-thingy", but Chrono Trigger DS manages to do it in a way that allows me to play without gouging out my eyes. The actual training involves the following: Give it an item, send it to a place, come back later to see how it changed. Easy easy. Then, the battles are actually kinda fun, since the monster fights on it's own, only taking items from you if you want to give it to them. The really cool part about the monster battle arena is that you win items and equipment to help your actual team. I managed to get a Magma Hand for Robo when I first got him, and tore through that dome like a thing that...tears through...another thing which has a lessened difficulty due to the equipment that the thing doing the tearing possessed.

FFIV is fun, too. Get Chrono Trigger. Oh, you did? Good. Good.

Oregano
2008-12-29, 10:37 AM
Most people would keep CT separate from FF because CT is accepted whilst FF is the devil's spawn and has damned JRPGs for all eternity.:smalltongue:

late for dinner
2008-12-29, 10:56 AM
Chrono Trigger Hands down.

Arioch
2008-12-29, 11:11 AM
Most people would keep CT separate from FF because CT is accepted whilst FF is the devil's spawn and has damned JRPGs for all eternity.:smalltongue:

Blasphemy! Burn the unbeliever! Burn him!

And then subject what's left to a loop of the chocobo song FOREVER! Mwahahahaha!

Oregano
2008-12-29, 12:21 PM
Blasphemy! Burn the unbeliever! Burn him!

And then subject what's left to a loop of the chocobo song FOREVER! Mwahahahaha!

Hey I'm a Final Fantasy fan, I'm just saying that's what the majority thinks.

The Extinguisher
2008-12-30, 01:19 AM
(Also, it IS a Final Fantasy game. It just isn't called "Final Fantasy." Chrono Cross/Trigger, Seiken Densetsu and Kingdom Hearts are Final Fantasy games, and I consider them more cannon than anything with a... erhem... "Ring Battle System" regardless of title.)

Um, no they aren't. That's like saying Mass Effect is in the KOTOR series because they're both made by bioware.

If it's not called Final Fantasy, it isn't one. (and don't be confused my Final Fantasy Legend which isn't one either. But that's a story for another day)

Fawkes
2008-12-30, 02:26 AM
Here's a question. I've played and beaten Chrono Trigger like seven times. Should I get the DS version?

Burley
2008-12-30, 08:38 AM
Here's a question. I've played and beaten Chrono Trigger like seven times. Should I get the DS version?

There're still like 8 more endings for you to look at. And, you always find something you missed before.

Robanybody
2009-01-01, 08:42 PM
Chrono Trigger hands down. I have it for DS. Never played the NES (SNES?) version though I hear it is the best. Ever. The story is nice not Terribly original but cool anyways. I've barely gotten into it so far.... And my DS broke today. It cant charge anymore. Im thinking about suicide. Should I got for hanging or a knife to the throat?

:frown:

Setra
2009-01-02, 07:08 AM
In that case I'd get FFIV instead.

I'm honestly biding my time until they remake FFVI for the DS (Or PSP).

Driderman
2009-01-02, 12:19 PM
Chrono Trigger hands down. I have it for DS. Never played the NES (SNES?) version though I hear it is the best. Ever. The story is nice not Terribly original but cool anyways. I've barely gotten into it so far.... And my DS broke today. It cant charge anymore. Im thinking about suicide. Should I got for hanging or a knife to the throat?

:frown:

Depending on your aim of course, I'd suggest the knife to the throat. Although, can you tie a proper hangmans knot?
As for the DS, are you sure it's the hardware and not the charger that is broken? Cause you can just buy a new charger if that's the problem. Also, there's a 2-year warranty on it (well techically it's 1 year warranty and the second year you have to prove the fault lies with the machinery. Not sure what that's called in english). Anyway, if you're within that 2 year range contact your retailer and they might be able to help you out. Especially if you buy a lot of games from them :)

busterswd
2009-01-02, 01:11 PM

No, unless you want a portable version.

2 new dungeons, 1 new boss, 1 new ending, and Playstation cutscenes. The cutscenes and the endings you can just watch on youtube. 1 of the 2 new dungeons is utter ass (like, you will get incredibly bored/frustrated playing it), and the 2nd of the 2 isn't bad, it's just not at the same level of polish as the rest of the game. The last boss... well, if you're at the point where you can beat the original final boss in the ocean palace then he's not too bad for your decked out party.

If you want to just figure out what happens, here's the new ending summarized + details on the final boss:

SPOILERS AHOY

After beating Lavos, a series of portals opens up allowing you entry to the Dimensional Vortex. You clear this dungeon, which allows the bucket at the End of Time to go to a new, more powerful enemy. This enemy is Lavos merged with Schala, the Dream Devourer, the Chrono Cross boss. You see a version of Magus who was lost in time attempting to reason with Schala, who isn't reacting, before you fight. After you beat it, Schala comes to her senses, and sends your party away to protect it and warps Magus to a random time/place after erasing his memory. The final cutscene involves Guardia getted destroyed 5 years after Chrono Trigger.

Final boss does a good amount of damage and has some nasty status effects. It can also remove immunity from single targets. However, my 60ish party had no trouble whatsoever smashing its face in, and that's without tabbing out, using megalixirs, or anything like that..

Robanybody
2009-01-02, 05:53 PM
As for the DS, are you sure it's the hardware and not the charger that is broken? Cause you can just buy a new charger if that's the problem. Also, there's a 2-year warranty on it (well techically it's 1 year warranty and the second year you have to prove the fault lies with the machinery. Not sure what that's called in english). Anyway, if you're within that 2 year range contact your retailer and they might be able to help you out. Especially if you buy a lot of games from them :)

Yup we went to Gamestop and tried to charge it on a working charger and still didn't work. Also my uncle tested the electricity output of something in the battery and nothing was happening even while plugged in.
Also I've had it for like 4 years >.<

hobbes543
2009-01-02, 07:57 PM
Sounds like the battery itself is dead... Looking at the back of my DS, There is a screw that you can undo to remove the battery... Maybe you just need to get that replaced. A new battery would be cheaper than a new DS... Though I don't know if the original DS used the same battery as the DS lite...

Edit: A quick google search will give you multiple retailers that sell the batteries... from the prices I saw, it should run between $10 and $30 depending on the retailer.

Robanybody
2009-01-03, 12:09 AM
Well the guy working at Gamestop said that the "charging" light would come on even if the battery was dead, so its a connection problem Inside the DS itself that would be hard to fix even with equipment. I'll be getting a lite soon though...

Holammer
2009-01-04, 12:06 PM
So I got 50 bucks from my grandma for christmas, and I think I want to buy a DS game with it. Right now I'm debating between Chrono Cross, FF IV, and Rinal Fantasy Renevant Wings. Thoughts?

How about... None of the above and go for Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia? I'll admit to not owning a DS, but the movies I've seen of it on gametrailers actually makes me consider buying the console.

Revlid
2009-01-05, 11:38 AM
Get Disgaea DS.

Llama231
2009-01-10, 11:13 PM
You seem to like RPGs/Strategy.
I would suggest one of the FF remakes, Pokemon D/P, M+L Partners in Time, a Castlevania game, or Advance Wars DoR.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-01-11, 05:30 PM
A few suggestions from someone who owns a DS, and entirely too many RPGs (which appears what you're looking to grab).

Chrono Trigger is great if you haven't played it before, and FFIV is a fantastic remake if you don't mind English Voice Acting (I, for one, had to turn off the sound during cut scenes, it's a pet peeve of mine).

2 Other titles to consider, though:

Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon - Plant crops, work on a farm, mine for goods, fish, get a wife, have a kid... then add fight monsters, forge weapns, armor, and accessories, cook food, make medicines and potions, cast spells, and even befriend monsters to help work on your farm. A good game for fans of Action/RPGs and Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon type games. I'm having a darn good time with this one, and I usually hate "Simesque" games. Now, if you'll excuse me my half-Elven wife Cecilia is with child and i have to go see a man about building a school...

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - One of the hardest FE's out there, but still a great game and incredibly fun. Just don't get it if you tend not to have any patience as it can get frustrating.

As for the mentioing of Castlesvania: Order of Ecclesia... if you've never played a "Metroidvania" (Symphony of the Night, any of the GBA or DS Castlevanias) don't play it. It is hands down one of the hardest, most unforgiving, and downright DS-Toss worthy games out there. It's not bad, but you really have to be used to not just Metroidvanias, but also classic "Nintendo Hard" games.

Drascin
2009-01-12, 06:23 AM
As for the mentioing of Castlesvania: Order of Ecclesia... if you've never played a "Metroidvania" (Symphony of the Night, any of the GBA or DS Castlevanias) don't play it. It is hands down one of the hardest, most unforgiving, and downright DS-Toss worthy games out there. It's not bad, but you really have to be used to not just Metroidvanias, but also classic "Nintendo Hard" games.

...what? How did you manage to start on Hard? Because in normal Ecclesia sure ain't any of those things. I give you that it's got a couple extremely irritating spots (****ing Eligor. That horse-thing is just aggravating), but it isn't particularly hard during most of the game. You just need to be careful and change glyphs very often.

And use Vol Luminaire a lot. It's not particularly efficient in terms of DPS, but it's got huge range and seeking, and staying away of melee for as long as possible increases your life expentancy a lot. Yay seeking spells :smallbiggrin:.

jazz1m
2009-01-12, 03:37 PM
I would say chrono trigger...
And if you don't have it, I would also suggest The World Ends With You. Awesome game.

Magnax
2009-01-13, 11:00 PM
I would say chrono trigger...
And if you don't have it, I would also suggest The World Ends With You. Awesome game.

I agree on both points. TWEWY and Chrono Trigger are great games.

FF IV and Revenant Wings were both kind of lousy, in my opinion.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-14, 11:00 PM
and don't be confused my Final Fantasy Legend which isn't one either. But that's a story for another day

*Twitch, twitch*

I hate that game.

More on topic, while I've not played either of the mentioned FF games, I can assure you that Chrono Trigger is quite fun (and can be quite difficult).

Other DS RPGs I can recommend as reasonably good are Magical Starsign and Etrian Odyssey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM).

The latter is an excellent dungeon-crawl sort of thing.

Twin2
2009-01-15, 12:40 AM
Etrian Odyssey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM).

The latter is an excellent dungeon-crawl sort of thing.

Yes, oh god yes (though I've only had experience with the second game). One of the few games I've played in which I never minded grinding, and the exploration aspect kept me hooked for quite a while.