PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition update?

Cervando
2008-12-27, 07:08 PM
I apologise if this has been discussed, but this is only my second post. I did a search to no avail, hence the question, will OOT be taking into account 4th edition changes like it did with 3.5? I sincerely hope not as they suck and Elan would go poof! They also make as much sense as a new Windows operating system until the second service pack. I pity V, not only would she/he have to contend with a dubious sexuality, now race issues would further diversify the character. It's enough to give her/him a multiple personality disorder.

BRC
2008-12-27, 07:09 PM
The short answer: No.
The long answer: No, the giant has stated in a newspost (I'm too lazy to look it up) That OOTS will stay 3.5, though it may make some jokes about 4e rules. This has been discussed before.

Kish
2008-12-27, 07:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#X4nHYcgEcSoMTQ8C0wZ Scroll down to the post made on May 20th.

Cervando
2008-12-27, 07:16 PM
The short answer: No.
The long answer: No, the giant has stated in a newspost (I'm too lazy to look it up) That OOTS will stay 3.5, though it may make some jokes about 4e rules. This has been discussed before.

The short answer: Thanks

The Long answer: Good as I still can't get my head around the changes and why they were needed, apart from making everyone buy new rule sets :smalltongue:

T-O-E
2008-12-27, 07:42 PM
Ah, this thread takes me back.

chiasaur11
2008-12-27, 07:50 PM
Heh.

I joined up about the time these were popping up like daisies.

Ah, memories.

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 07:53 PM
Heh.

I joined up about the time these were popping up like daisies.

Ah, memories.

Some folks got themselves some nice organs back then, yes siree.

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-27, 07:53 PM
Exactly what rules would compliacte the plot/characters?

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:05 PM

To put it simply: classes have been hugely changed, to the point where many OotS characters couldn't exist in their current forms. That's just the beginning.

T-O-E
2008-12-27, 08:05 PM

No bards, half-orcs or barbarians, for one.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:10 PM
No bards, half-orcs or barbarians, for one.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

By mere seconds, it seems. :smalleek:

...I are true ninja now?

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-27, 08:11 PM
Why would you get rid of Bard? ANd Half-Orcs? And Barbarians?

Cervando
2008-12-27, 08:12 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#X4nHYcgEcSoMTQ8C0wZ Scroll down to the post made on May 20th.

Failed my spot roll again :smallredface:

T-O-E
2008-12-27, 08:15 PM
Failed my spot roll again :smallredface:

You mean perception? :smalltongue:

Cervando
2008-12-27, 08:16 PM

So they can make you buy a Player's Handbook supplement which contains them as well as Monks, Asimars etc.
:smallmad:

Myou
2008-12-27, 08:17 PM

You can see now why the fourth edition is controversial.

But they must have decided that they have a better way of doing things.

Or else they decided they wanted to print some more money by making everyone stop selling 3.5 books and stock only 4th edition, forcing new players and old players looking to keep up to date to spend huge sums of money on entirely new books.

Which side you take really depends on whether you like 4ed as much as anything.

Having not played it I think it's a bit of both. >.>

KindaChang
2008-12-27, 08:18 PM
ANd Half-Orcs?

Short answer:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html

Long answer:
Most players had little to no imagination for their half-orc characters, giving them backgrounds of coming from human mothers raped during orc raids. This made the Spooky Wizard that Lives By the Coast angry. You don't want to make the SWTLBtC angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

It makes as much sense as removing gnomes because players didn't like the technological aspect they brought to the game, but keeping Warforged because players liked the technological aspect they bring to the game.

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:19 PM

*Shrugs.* I dunno, beyond Cervando's theory. I haven't played 4E, haven't really read any of its materials or payed attention to its news, and don't have any immediate plans to do either, so...I dunno.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Half-Orc thing. >_>

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-27, 08:22 PM
Short answer:

Long answer:
Most players had little to no imagination for their half-orc characters, giving them backgrounds of coming from human mothers raped during orc raids. This made the Spooky Wizard that Lives By the Coast angry. You don't want to make the SWTLBtC angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

It makes as much sense as removing gnomes because players didn't like the technological aspect they brought to the game, but keeping Warforged because players liked the technological aspect they bring to the game.

I don't really think that is an acceptable reason at all.

Just because people do that a lot, does not mean for any reason ean you should completely get rid of something!

And the 2nd paragraph? No comment.

Akisa
2008-12-27, 08:22 PM
Not to mention everyone is a caster in 4E

Cervando
2008-12-27, 08:26 PM
You mean perception? :smalltongue:

Damm seems I also failed my Knowledge skill 4e Ruleset :smallwink: Mind you, it was a DC 100 roll due to the absolutley ridiculous way the books are laid out.

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:28 PM
I don't really think that is an acceptable reason at all.

Just because people do that a lot, does not mean for any reason ean you should completely get rid of something!

And the 2nd paragraph? No comment.

Yes, well, tell that to 'the corporations'. ...Hey, does this mean they got rid of Paladins? (I personally hope not, because I like pallys).

I think Mr. Burlew poked fun at it best of all in the previously-linked strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html).

Hey, everyone likes being Quadratic.

....Right?

T-O-E
2008-12-27, 08:31 PM
Nope, paladins are still in but they took out the druid, and added Warlocks and Warlords. Plus, I think they're adding more classes in subsequent rule-books.

Myou
2008-12-27, 08:32 PM

If that's really true then I think 4ed may be a lost cause. >.>

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-27, 08:32 PM
Nope, paladins are still in but they took out the druid, and added Warlocks and Warlords. Plus, I think they're adding more classes in subsequent rule-books.

But.........................Druids were my favorite!

Cervando
2008-12-27, 08:37 PM
Short answer:

Long answer:

tsk tsk I went for a far more politically correct outlook. I played a half-orc half-drow transsexual lesbian with a wooden leg. Seems a drow pillaging a village mistook an orc for an elf in the dark. Months later, the orc mother got peckish and ate her child's leg. Luckily a Paladin saved the baby, but due to pent up sexual frustration brought on by a vow of celibacy, he severely confused the poor child during her upbringing and now she has become a serial killer hunting out all drows, orcs, paladins and males to savagely slaughter. :smalltongue:

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:40 PM

Well, good for Warlocks/rds.

Hmm...removing druids and gnomes, making everyone a caster, and adding two classes with "war" in their name...

THIS IS A MUMORPUGER! RUN!
Kidding. Mostly.

Edit:
tsk tsk I went for a far more politically correct outlook. I played a half-orc half-drow transsexual lesbian with a wooden leg. Seems a drow pillaging a village mistook an orc for an elf in the dark. Months later, the orc mother got peckish and ate her child's leg. Luckily a Paladin saved the baby, but due to pent up sexual frustration brought on by a vow of celibacy, he severely confused the poor child during her upbringing and now she has become a serial killer hunting out all drows, orcs, paladins and males to savagely slaughter. :smalltongue:

I believe I speak for the majority when I say OMGWTHBBQ.

Optimystik
2008-12-27, 08:46 PM
THIS IS A MUMORPUGER! RUN!

Was that a Yahtzee reference? :smallsmile:

10/10 would read again

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 08:51 PM
Was that a Yahtzee reference? :smallsmile:

Indeed it was. :smallsmile:

Alysar
2008-12-27, 09:00 PM
The Giant doesn't make enough rules jokes anymore, and breaks so many 3.5 rules for the sake of the plot, that it hardly makes any difference what edition OotS is running in.

Cervando
2008-12-27, 09:09 PM
The Giant doesn't make enough rules jokes anymore, and breaks so many 3.5 rules for the sake of the plot, that it hardly makes any difference what edition OotS is running in.

Shame I had hopes he would mock them mercilessly, but working for WOTC from time to time would kinda make that tricky I guess :smallwink:

Kish
2008-12-27, 09:25 PM
Hey, does this mean they got rid of Paladins? (I personally hope not, because I like pallys).
No. But no class has any alignment requirements in 4ed.

Incidentally, what's "this"? I'm not seeing anything above your post that would mean that. :smalltongue:

Quorothorn
2008-12-27, 09:56 PM

Incidentally, what's "this"? I'm not seeing anything above your post that would mean that. :smalltongue:

Well, people playing paladins often cause massive debates to rage, and if WotC got rid of Half-Orcs because they thought too many people were going a certain route that they did not like, it might follow that they would remove the poor, accidental-arsonist pally.

...The connection made sense in my head!

Aron Times
2008-12-27, 10:44 PM
Paladin now means "divine warrior" in 4E. Basically, 3E blackguards are now 4E evil paladins. This has its roots in 3E Unearthed Arcana, which introduced three variant paladins (CG, LE, and CE versions).

Anyway, I'd rather see the Giant create a brand new webcomic for 4E instead of retooling OOTS. There would be much fewer problems that way.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-29, 12:17 PM
Actually, the Giant has made two jokes based on 4th Ed so far, but nothing to show that he is considering a full fledged jump to the new rules set, for reasons posted above, and the Giant's own statements.

But Elan got this gag, (Dang, I can't find it now. It was a joke about how Elan uses his stupidity as a "Power" much like 4Ed uses the different class powers.)

and Lord Kubota was looking to see if he could gain a little bit here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html).

Assassin89
2008-12-29, 12:33 PM
The only material that would benefit from a 4th edition update would regard that gnome that Belkar killed. I'm a monster! Rawr!

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-29, 03:22 PM
The joke about Elan's power source was when he talked "Banjo" into letting everyone go free, and Durkon commented that he used stupidity as a power source. Also, Druids and Bards are in the 4th Edition nowadays, along with Barbarians: Barbarian. (http://www.wizards.com/files/000_Playtest_Barbarian.pdf) Druid. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20081201a) Bard. (http://forum.mydndgame.com/index.php/topic,382.0.html)

RebelRogue
2008-12-29, 05:40 PM
Not true! Paladins and clerics are restricted according to their god's alignment. But yes, it's possible for any class to be any alignment.

I must add, that the ignorance and prejudice towards 4e expressed earlier in this thread is pretty facepalmworthy!

JonestheSpy
2008-12-29, 06:22 PM
The joke about Elan's power source was when he talked "Banjo" into letting everyone go free, and Durkon commented that he used stupidity as a power source. Also, Druids and Bards are in the 4th Edition nowadays, along with Barbarians

There's marketing for ya - buy the 2nd book so you can get the neat stuff we left out of the revision!

Actually from what I've read, the biggest marketing triumph of the latest edition is the creation of a huge demand for 3.5 material. If WotC wanted to make some real money, they should print new runs of the 3.5 books, beat them up a bit in the warehouse, then sell them for $50 a pop as used-better-get-them-before-they-disappear-forever.

TheRagi
2008-12-29, 08:13 PM
All those classes and races are coming back on the phb2 (and some more new stuff), due march. But, what a surprise, most of the 4e bashers didn't know about it, or prefered not to mention it.

And, yeah, rpg players sure haaaate buying up more and more rpg books. Sigh...

Mando Knight
2008-12-29, 08:27 PM
Actually from what I've read, the biggest marketing triumph of the latest edition is the creation of a huge demand for 3.5 material.

I dunno... there's also the fact that 4E was the edition that "Gabe" of Penny Arcade first played... (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/5/30/)

...and I've never read anything about increased demand for 3.5 material--many of the 3.5 proponents seem to be the ones who already bought a large number of the books... and newcomers will probably want to just use the SRD to avoid purchasing old books at $50+ a piece...

Simanos
2008-12-29, 08:44 PM
That's a fair cope.
(I didn't get what the Yahtzee reference means so I punish you with Monty ref)

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-30, 12:49 AM
That's a fair cope.
(I didn't get what the Yahtzee reference means so I punish you with Monty ref)

It's refering to Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaws zero punctiauion reveiws.

KBF
2008-12-30, 04:29 AM
I think it's worth noting that OOTS is not, um, not switching over. That's not what the newspost said. Rich said that he was going to be more ambiguous about the ruleset and use jokes from both editions.

Basically, he's going to be politically correct by making fun of both sides equally.